Hop To
T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
This is several questions.

Does the metered moisture content of a blank tell much of anything about if a blank is cured properly? I understand that several readings over 6 months to a year would really be required to decide if it was completely cured.

Why does kiln drying hurt the figure of a blank? Is there a maximum temperature point not to exceed before you "cook" the blank?

On well aged blanks will high heat (+/- 110 deg. F) hurt them?
I have some blanks stored in attic and garage and the heat and humidity can get extreme (wife won't let me sleep with them).

Once completely cured does the shrink/swell settle down to the point it is not significant?

How many rough profile then rest/cure again before final fitting, if so how long?

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
GB1

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been told one of the best way's to tell if your wood is ready is by weighing it. Weigh it regularly and keep records. When it stops losing weight there isn't much if any moisture left. Kiln drying doesn't hurt the figure, it hurts the stability. The best condittions for curing is someplace cool and dry. This helps prevent warping and cracking. It let's the wood stabilize naturally. It also keeps the wood from "moving" when turned. If you're worried about the stability of the wood, ask the guy turning it if he can rough turn it Friday and finish it up Monday.

Terry

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Does the metered moisture content of a blank tell much of anything about if a blank is cured properly?
I buy mine they arrive at 6% moisture according to my meter.
Why does kiln drying hurt the figure of a blank?
like anything natural, the sugars, moisture cure/rot over time and add to the color, kiln speeds it up, bad juju

On well aged blanks will high heat (+/- 110 deg. F) hurt them?
no some of my blanks come from a steel roofed shed in a desert that is 120

Once completely cured does the shrink/swell settle down to the point it is not significant?
yes, unless it rehydrates, you go from desert to Oregon and the blank isn't sealed expect movement. Same goes for factory stocks that do not have the inletted areas sealed! One trip in the rain, and that bare wood takes moisture.

How many rough profile then rest/cure again before final fitting, if so how long?
oh HELL no, blank cured, complete, THEN rough, fit and seal ASAP upon finishing the inletting!!

your mileage/opinion may vary laugh

Meat is Murder
tasty, tasty murder

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,475 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,593
Posts18,492,188
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.