Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Here is my latest knife. It is kinda a nessmuk type skinner. My brother has named it El Tigre Raspmuk. It is made from a farrier rasp. The blade is 3 1/8" long and the a.o.l. is 7" long. The handle is very nice figured zebra wood. the blade is polished out to 2000 grit. The pics are knida crappy but I am very happy with the way this one turned out.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Did you soften it, work it to shape and then retemper it?
Any feel for the "edge holding/sharpening" ability of the rasp?

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I did annel it then did all my grinding and shaping. Then harden it and then tempered it. Knives made out of files and rasps hold an edge great. Sharping is no differant than most other knives. Off the top of my head I believe the rasp I used is made of 1080 carbon steel. wicth is a tool steel i think. good for making knives.

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

Smiley,

Most homemade knives look just like a guy took some metal and stuff into the basement and made a cutting tool; no art, no sense of balance, but hopefully a useful instrument. Obviously nothing that anyone would pay money for.

My friend, take it from a retired goldsmith, a lover of only the finest of custom knives and an owner of boo-coo Herron knives; YOU HAVE TALENT.

Excellent, simply excellent.

Give you some decent steel, a set of equipment and scale material and you'd be on your way.

Obviously, you'd have to get into drop points and forms that flow more than the this ... and taper tangs, soldered guards, mosaic pins and such, but I believe you have a fabulous future ahead of you in custom knifemaking, if you chose to pursue it.

Very well done.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Nice and cool too.

JMHO

Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
That one looks like it wants to jump in your hand and go to work.

Exquisite.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
I can like that one much.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
stunning. the combination of rasp pattern and tiger handle really works well.

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very pretty and well done. I would have one concern if I were to actually use the knife. That is gonna be a bitch to clean after working game over with it. Especially that rasp side...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Sweet! I love the handle too, I still have to put a handle on my campfire knife, from 07 or 08!
John

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks Guys. this is only my 5th complete knife, and by far the nicest one so far. Working on a couple more right now. should be done with them in a few weeks. Thanks again, Donny

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Smiley882, --you sticking with the farrier rasp as blade material?

Did you follow the nessmuk style for a reason? Have you used it and it works great or just looks cool or ??

Just curious.

Quite nice work and just 5 knives into it.

Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I'm using farrier rasps and old sawmill blades right now because it is what I have a lot of now. I also like the way the farrier rasps look when they are finished. No real reason for the nessmuk shape on this one. I had drew up several designs on paper before I ever tried to make any blades and just liked the look and feel of the nessmuk. I have used a true nessmuk shape knife before for skinning and liked the feel of it, so i figured what the heck. On mine i added sort of a finger groove/gaurd in the handle the prevent your hand slipping and cutting your finger. On a true nessmuk the handle is right even with the blade. I will try and see if i can find a pic to show what i'm talking about. Thanks, Donny

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Here is a pic of a more true nessmuk knife. I did not make this knife. Im just using this to show what a true nessmuk looks like. But by the way the handle goes right to sharpe blade it looks like with one little slip you would have a cut finger. So thats why I changed the shape of mine a little. Thanks, Donny
[Linked Image]

D
D
Smiley. here in Texas a hoof rasp has been turned into about everything you can think of, but I have never seen a knife made from one. VERY NICE. You're from Ft Worth, so I'd suggest making a few more and showing up at the Ft Worth Livestock Show this winter. Bet you could sell the heck out of them..Again, well done..du

Last edited by DavidU; 08/29/09. Reason: spel
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
That is a very good idea. I never thought of that. I wonder how much a booth is. Even if I didnt make any money I bet it would be fun. I really like going to the livestock show. I just might have to try this. Thanks, Donny

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
for a 5th attempt that is a hell of a knife......nice work....cant wait to see the others when they are done.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
very nice. if you make another like that, i'd buy it !

R
R
Nice Job, Pard. I know some fellows who have been doing knives for years that don't look that good!!!!

Su Amigo, R Jones

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

207 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 24 invisible), 1,341 guests, and 920 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,865
Posts18,497,291
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.