Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I consistently use our range chrono....a good one. It is also always positioned in the same place, elevation, yada, yada (whether all such elements make a remarkable difference or not, sans elevation and temps).

I suspect that many people do not use a chrono, even in load development, without ill effects. Personally, I like to get the most out of my rifles and a chrono is the only way that I know how to get that while still staying relatively safe.

I have chrono'd several different loads from several different cartridges that have sat idle for several years and have come to the conclusion that I don't need to do that anymore (testing done at +/- the original loads inital chronoing temps).

Works for me..........

Last edited by magnumb; 09/19/09.
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I remember being asked 'Is that a GPS?' about the chronograph I had setup at the range.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Best part of such scenarios...I very rarely have to wait for a spot at the chrono bench.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've been handloading for nearly 30 years. I don't have a crony but I'd like to have one.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can very easily load safely without a Chrony. Stay within book maxs and watch for pressure signs/case life. A Chrony is a great tool, but from a safety standpoint think they end up causing folks to overload trying to get that "expected" velocity (at best derived from some reasonably scientific rule of thumb, but just as often from gut feel) as much as stay within safe limits. The chrony does let you know what your velocity is and to me this is good information to have a long range to give an idea of such things as when bullets will stop expanding.

Lou

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i dont have a chrony, but i do have access to one. i have only used it twice, and once was at the request of the owner.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I reloaded for 33 years without one, I have owned three chronographs in the last three years, don't know how I got along without one.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
If a chronograph cost $1K I could understand it, but it's like a couple pounds of powder.

I know. I bought the powder.

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
My chrono quite possibly saved my a$$,eye,hand etc. I loaded 5 rounds of 300 win mag 10 Grains OVER max because I set my scales in the wrong notch! I discovered this after firing 2 rounds that were 200-400 fps (I don't remember the exact figure) faster than the book said it should be. I then checked my scales and discovered my mistake.
I am not perfect and I'm pretty sure nobody on this forum is either. Not my first mistake reloading either but without my $100 chrono I could have been maimed for life (or worse).
I NEVER develop new loads without my chrono.
A chrono is very cheap insurance.

Neil

Dong Ha Vietnam '67
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Well, being new to reloading, only 30 plus years, I have never had a chrono,I reload by the book only. I wish to get one some day! I would love to know how fast and consistant my loads are! I have never had a rifle not shoot good enough to do what I wished, but I'm sure there is a reason someone built them to use!I just know the guys who write the reloading books are much smarter than I am! I'm wondering what kind of powder someone is burning to be able to buy a chrono with a couple pounds worth!! Ha!

Semper Fi USMC/0331
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I didn't use a chorno for about the first 6 or 7 years never had any problems with anything. I just worked up an accurate load and ran it. I guess what you don't know can't hurt you because once I got the chorno the velocities were horible in some of my loads so I had to start looking for some higher velocities.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by DMB
Bought a Chrony 10 years ago, and have never used it. I just don't need the information the chronograph provides.
YMMV

Don

Maybe you only take 100 yard shots so yeah under these circumstances you really cares. Now if you were out here and had to deal with relatively long shots to really long shot it is inperative!

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Iraklion
Originally Posted by DMB
Bought a Chrony 10 years ago, and have never used it. I just don't need the information the chronograph provides.
YMMV

Don

Maybe you only take 100 yard shots so yeah under these circumstances you really cares. Now if you were out here and had to deal with relatively long shots to really long shot it is inperative!

That's really the issue with me. I don't know of anyone hunting here who has shot a Deer at more than 150 yards, and the average shot is like 75 yards. I haven't shot a Deer farther than 100 yards, ever.. grin
I always say, that if I were to hunt out west, where long shots are the rule, I'd break out the brand new, 10 year old chrono, and do some velocity/drop work. Until then, all I'm interested in is group size. And, all of my rifles are zeroed at 100 yards.

Edit to add: Back in my younger days, no matter where I lived and hunted, I'd have the chrono working as I was really interested in all of the details of loads. But, today, I'm just not interested in the data.
As I said, YMMV.

Last edited by DMB; 09/20/09.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You can get a Shooting Chrony for under $100. I only load to book but I notice that's a 'common' argument with some here.

'Look at me, I've been loading for 30 years and I reload by the book only' as if one is smarter and safer.

Big difference between 1 year of experience 30 times and 30 years of experience.

Oh, I saved all of these for the end !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
the best thing about useing a chrono at the range is, that it makes other people think you know what your doing.

�A free people [claim] their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate.�
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Three dissents Rocky.

One, people developed high velocity, highly accurate loads (within the limits of the barrels, bullets, sights, etc. of the time anyway) long before chronographs were priced within reach. And the old guys did a LOT of "experimenting" too. In fact, they laid the foundations of what we do today, not the chronographs.

Two, a "max" or accurate load is determined by the rifle, components and how they are assembled not the chronograph. Anyone doing the experiments moves forward on the results at the target, not from knowing within +/- 2 fps of what the velocity is.

Three, from his post ("Does anybody here load without a chrono? Long term reloading--like year after year deer loads in your .308, just watching for accuracy and pressure signs?"), it is a given that Mr. War Eagle does not match your profiles of people who "need" a chronograph. Without disparaging his needs at all, it is clear that HE does not need one. Instead, it would be a waste of his funds without adding a thing to his loads.

You have a LOT of valuable knowledge! So do many others of us. But, those of us who are obcessed by all this shootin' stuff often loose sight of the fact that many shooters have a life outside guns. Perhaps that's part of why it's sometimes difficult for us to respond to questions as they are asked rather than saying what applies to us?

I try very hard to provide guideance as it's needed, not by what applies to me.

Last edited by boomtube; 09/20/09.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Wars were won with swords also and lots of folks rode a horse to work, your point?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I've never owned or felt the need for a chrono either...just work up the load till they all land together, then go hunting.
I have at times run one of these loads over a chrono somebody had set up at the range, just to see how close they were to the book..In a variety of calibers, my results have been amazingly close to published figures...apparently unlike most folks...

Have had a number of customers approach with" My .300 Win is shooting .75 inch groups, but I'm only getting 3100fps out of it, what'll I do???"

Throw your chronograph away....

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"Wars were won with swords also and lots of folks rode a horse to work, your point?"

Could you be a bit more clear? Especially as to how your question relates to Mr War Eagle's original question? Or does the OP matter?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Why not use technology? Guessing you also believe the reason that loads in today's manuals are different than those of old is because of lawyers.

If there is a better correlation of pressure then velocity for the backyard shooter I don't know what it is.

Lots of folks take pride in shooting Tasco scopes and using Lee dippers, more power to them.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

676 members (10gaugemag, 22250rem, 160user, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 70 invisible), 2,677 guests, and 1,489 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,609
Posts18,492,450
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.