-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well just finished butchering many hundreds of pounds of meat from the small bull we took last week. I put a hole through his lungs with the 358 Norma. Unfortunately I was using regular 250 Speer bullets and the jacket shed. It still wrecked the lungs so no real harm done but it should have broke the far shoulder. Next time it's back to Partitions for me.. My hunting buddy also found his lungs with his 308. He ran off 25 yards and fell down kicking (The moose not my buddy). The Federal 180 grain bullet also stopped in the far shoulder. It held together pretty nicely but cuts a much narrower track.

Not much meat wasted, a good clean kill, great meat and boon companions in the wilderness. Not too shabby.

[Linked Image]
25 yards from the hits

[Linked Image]
1,5 Hours Later

Last edited by Takujualuk; 09/19/09.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Should have been us too, but we're not tired tonight. smile Good on you though. Looks fine all the way around. (Nothing better than good company on a moose hunt (and kill whistle ).

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good job!

It is nice when a plan comes together and friends eat tenderloin together.

By the way, Some are better eating than others, but they are all ating size to me.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by medicman
By the way, Some are better eating than others, but they are all ating size to me.

That's the truth, isn't it? The one I shot last winter looked like a twin to the above animal. And he was one tough little hombre. That's not just a winter moose deal either. I've killed some bruisers in the winter who went through all the fall festivities with gusto so they had that disadvantage, yet they were fine table fare.

But, again, I certainly appreciate what the OP and company shared here. While hunting sites like this tend to celebrate the trophy element sometimes more than other things, to me eating is central to hunting and great company makes it all the better. IOW, this looks like an ideal hunt. Good job!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't see balls hanging, did you detach it from the meat, if so this is illegal. But congrats on the fine table meat and nice clean skinning with not much hair in the meat.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Actually we just keep the scrotum, as thetesticals when sliced into rounds and fried with a little cajun spice are some fine eating.
Randy

Lester Roloff
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Sorry 378 but you are wrong. An NWT resident can take a moose of either sex and in this case there is no requirement to keep evidence of sex. If it was males only the head would suffice, which we brought back though didn't skin so kept away from the meat pile.

I didn't do anything illegal.

From the NWT Hunting Regs:

Where hunters are required to take males only,
they must retain evidence of sex: for caribou,
muskox and wood bison, the testicles or scrotum; for moose,
the head, testicles or scrotum
; for Dall�s sheep, the horns must
remain attached to the head and the eye sockets must be
intact; and for polar bear and grizzly bears, the baculum.

Last edited by Takujualuk; 09/21/09.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry Takujualuk didn't know they had seperate rules for the NWT then the rest of Canada. Good info for the public since many hunt in Canada from the USA. Learnt something today and so will the hundreds of hunters that muster to this forum.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In Alaska, evidence of sex must be kept "naturally attached" as a requirement on some hunts. For moose, this means simply retaining something as small as a single gonad to one of the hinds. That wouldn't necessarily show in the pics about, but it would seem to fulfill the requirements of NWT laws as well.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
No problem 378.

Might be different rules for a non-resident up here as well.

We use the same method for processing Moose as we do for Caribou.

1) Skin
2) Remove front and hind quarters at joints
3) Remove backstrap
4) Gut Torso and remove organ meat
5) Remove Ribs
6) Cut front and back in two.

Gets the meat away from the hide and guts and is much tidier.

This leaves you with 8 large roughly equally sized portions and a bag of bits. Easy to transport and hang.

The meat is simply awesome quality!

Last edited by Takujualuk; 09/21/09.
IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I'm not too surprised about the Speer 250 gr. bullet..I blew one up in the neck of a deer at about 350 yards. It totally came apart with a 358 Win. in my 99 Savage, that should not have happened..however that was about 10 years ago.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I like a fast expanding bullet for caribou. However, that's why I like the Nosler Partition. It is a fast expander. I have never been disappointed with a Partition. I am often disappointed with anything else.

Too bad they are getting so damn expensive. Still, well worth it IMO.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I've largely gone back to the Plain Janes-Hornady Interlocts,or Rem Core-locks. They do everything I require, and at much less the cost of so-called "premiums".

Then there is always the highly accurate and fast expanding Sierra Game Kings...of which I am not a particular fan, but they do what they are designed to do.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by las
I've largely gone back to the Plain Janes-Hornady Interlocts,or Rem Core-locks. They do everything I require, and at much less the cost of so-called "premiums".

Then there is always the highly accurate and fast expanding Sierra Game Kings...of which I am not a particular fan, but they do what they are designed to do.

I'd agree on caribou. Moose...I'll still take the Partition. The extra penetration is a good insurance policy.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by las

And then there is the game king that we shot that NEVER expanded, 30 cal in, through a rib, 30 cal out through a rib. Its another reason I trust the track record of the premium bullets more. After all how many do you shoot in a year anyway?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most hunters do not shoot enough of any bullet. Those of us here are probably the exception.I practice with Hornady interlocks, resight in with Barnes TSX for hunting.

This year I will have shot 15 338 TSX and 50 30-06 TSX before season so that confidence exists. There has been 30 338 and 75 30-06 non TSX plus assorted 257 Roberts and such just to keep up. I wish there was more opportunity for me to shoot.
Randy

Lester Roloff
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thats a good statement, finally found another that practices with"cheap" and rezero's for season.... its cheap, very easy and works very well....

Also something to be said for trying to find a smaller round and figure out how to mimic the ballistics of your larger round, IE load a 223 or 22-250 with the right twist and bullet and just shoot a lot year round with the "practice" gun. Of course same stock/scope is a plus....

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Medicman,

And some guys hate the 30-06 so much, they make their 338 WM shoot the exact same trajectory. Hmmmffff! Go figure. grin

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (1234, 1lessdog, 22250rem, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,219 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,366
Posts18,506,409
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.