Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have an older falling block. It is a Hyper Single in 257 Roberts.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This is as is at this time. I bought wood from TSquare for it.
[Linked Image]
This is some very nice European Walnut that is over 30yrs old. I know that it looks like a #1, but this one is much smoother and has a wonderful adjustable trigger. It has no Iron sights on it at present, does it need them? With the old stock I had a scope base that was very tall in order that I could see over the hump in the butt stock. What do I do? I hope that I can get Roger Kehr to do a little subtle engraving after the stock is completed.
Ideas are welcome.
Butch

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ohhhh, Ahhhhhh

That's gonna be a humdinger.

I'd have irons stuck on it. I'd try to pattern the new buttstock after a Martini and Hagn.

Are you going to keep the buttplate? I'd get a gripcap if so (skeleton would be nice).

You know...the current wood is very nicely figured. Could the hog's back be shaved?

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Get NECG irons put on.

Otherwise, that's going to be absolutely stunning.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I like the look of irons even if I don't use them. I do want them to be functional though. I do plan on keeping the buttplate and a skelton gripcap. The other stock is 50yr. old myrtlewood. It could be reshaped and checkered.
Butch

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Wish I hadn't looked at this post, I'm gonna have those troublesome dreams and night sweats.

Original wood is pretty nice, the Walnut fabulous. Didn't even know about that action, tell us more.

I could really like a banded front sight, quarter rib rear, schnabel fore end, integral front sling swivel, round to Octagonal barrel, Whelen type cheek piece with a nod to the shuetzen style.

Then a Roe buck and Boar engraving on a nickled receiver or color case hardening with some scroll.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Butch,

I don't know anything about your action but it looks like a very nice place to start. That wood deserves to be matched with some super metalwork.

Is the barrel staying or is a rebarrel a possibility?

I agree it should have open sights. It won't look right otherwise. A falling-block action is not going to leave you much leeway for scope mounting options. Have you decided on the scope you wish to use and whether it will be mounted on a quarter rib, or some other way?

There were two features I just had to have when redoing my Ruger metalwork - the recessed safety and removal of the radius at the front of the action. You probably saw these pics already.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm looking forward to seeing how your rifle progresses. Keep us posted!

cheers,
- stu

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Butch,

BEAUTIFUL!!!
There's just something about falling blocks that float my boat. That Walnut is as good as any I've ever seen too.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
No reason that I can't rebarrel it. Maybe a half octagon? I personally like iron sights. Stu C, I really like your rifle and the engraving.
Thanks Butch

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Personally I like the 257 Roberts. Even if I rebarreled, that would still be high on my list of cartridge options. I love the half octagon on your Mex Mauser. Did David Christman do the profiling on that one? I think the transition between the octagon and round sections was very nicely done.

The engraving on mine was kept to a minimum partly because the engraver didn't really want to work on the #1 action. I believe it has a reputation for being quite hard. The result turned out OK though.

cheers,
- stu

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I'll take it. grin

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
The Hyper Single is made from billet CM and not a casting like the Ruger. I do not know how hard it is though. James Anderson[gunmaker] did the contouring on the 7X57 Mexican barrel. I will leave it 257 Roberts even if I rebarrel.
Butch

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey Butch, did it ever stop raining in Oklahoma? Ha! I hope this project is making some foward progress.

Terry

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
That ain't a bit funny Terry!
Butch

C
CWG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
very very nice, hubba hubba

Cage-Divorce Deathmatch Survivor and Lib antagonist. Stock maker by sheer luck.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
looks like fun! my vote is for iron sights also. from were did the wood come from? cost maby and who is going to stock it for you? jellous minds wont to know!!!!!!!!

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Wood came from our own Tsquare and I believe it was 30 yrd old european walnut.
Butch

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1minute, 1eyedmule, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,302 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,410
Posts18,507,078
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.