Print Thread
Hop To
J
JRS3 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Crazy idea here but it might just work! What do you think?

We have a big problem with 'yotes and have trapped a few but we would like to be more effective. Yes, leg holds and even a few cage traps have worked. My question is this. Since most are caught and found alive, what do you think about attaching a tracking collar on one? My idea is that if it was a bitch it might lead you back to the den or give a better idea of where the pack actually lives. Sounds crazy, huh? But think about, if you could have one coyote lead you back to the rest, wouldn't it be worth it? Don't comment about actually placing the collar on beucase it can be done. I just want to know what your thoughts are about this idea. It could be a plus to no where they are.

We live in Florida so the yotes are not ranging as much as they do out west but where we might not have the vast wilderness we do have more than our fair share of thick stuff that they can hide in and not be seen.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wouldn't do you any good here. It's not that hard to tell where they are via sign and on the ground sightings. From there it isn't too hard to put a hurt on with traps, snares, and calling. I've yet to see any combination of the three do much good at reducing the population a great deal, however. The only means of population reduction that I've seen to REALLY cut #'s is aerial gunning done in the spring/summer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Aerial gunning around the high mnt. pastures is the way to go. Ranger1 is right, #'s matter (mating pairs matter more, Feb-April are good months to lay into them).
JRS3, I do not ponder two things: aerial gunning isn't going to work in your neck o the woods for safety reasons, and the legality of capturing a wild animal, placing a transmitter on it and picking it up through telemetry work...without a state or federal permit might be a serious wildlife violation. If you really want to test this theory, trap a florida panther, GPS tag it, and see where life goes. Your idea is great, absolute perfection....it really is. Yet, if I were you, I would not do it. That just comes under the fair chase ideal.
I would love to know where the elk in 'our' mountains or oryx on the basin migrate to around my area throughout the year, but its against the law, and that is fine. 'Yotes are allowed the same respect, in that respect. Other then that, get out your gun and call em up.
lnf150

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Ranger1 speak truth.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
It isnt uncommon to pick off a whole family unit from one set (two traps)

I dont know what your area is like, but coloring wouldn't really reveal a whole lot around here.

If you want to track pup dispersal, I guess the collar may tell you where they are going, but dont see the point?

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16gage, 160user, 1lesfox, 01Foreman400, 56 invisible), 2,808 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,364
Posts18,488,108
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.