Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RAC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
PH was Nixon Dzingai of SSG Safaris on the Malipah Concession next to Gona Re Zhou Park. I killed 2 buffalo, impala, kudu bull, and a kudu cow for the trackers. I used my Chapuis 9.3 x 74R double with 286 grain Woodleigh bullets (both solids and softs). The first buff, shot in the shoulder, went down within approx 50 yards. Soft was found under the skin on the opposite side. It weighed 247 grains. A solid was also put into him as insurance. I shot him while we were tracking a herd. He had had a hard life as he was missing half his tail,(lion?), he once had a snare around his hind leg and had a fresh wound and a healed wound next to his tail. I said I wanted character and he had it. The second buff, a lone daggaboy, was shot in the shoulder with a soft, he ran about 50 yards or so, and I put 2 more solids into his opposite shoulder. Then as he was facing me, I shot him where the neck joins the shoulder and put him down. I recovered the three solids but didn't find the soft. The soft bullets were the Woodleigh 286 grain Protected Point Soft Points. Bullets were running about 2300 fps out of my rifle.

First Buffalo
[Linked Image]
Half of tail gone
[Linked Image]
Old snare wound
[Linked Image]
Second Buffalo
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Chapuis Double Rifle
[Linked Image]
Soft and Solid from the first; 3 Solids from the 2nd
[img:center]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-4/1174034/.366Woodleighs.jpg[/img]
[img:center]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-4/1174034/impala.jpg[/img]
[img:center]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-4/1174034/kudu.jpg[/img]

Last edited by RAC; 09/20/09.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Really nice Kudu..good buffs....congratulations.

Your experience witht the 9.3x74 about clones most buffalo that I have shot over the years with many different calibers from 8x57, as well as the 9.3x62 to 500 Jefferys and several in between..They run about 50 yards and expire.

The only observation I can see with your experience is the one that got into a position to be looking at you, which is a pretty good case for the larger calibers. I have, however, noticed on several ocassions that a larger bore would have been a better antedote for the situation that developed, thus my preference for a .416 or 404. Not to say that I would hesitate to use my 9.3x62 again, I would without hesitation. I would hesitate to ever use the 30-06, 8x57, 308 and 7x57 again, once was enough with these light calibers, unless they were all I had.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Roger, Congratulations! Helluva trip and nice pics!grin

maddog

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
RAC,
Looks like a fantastic hunt. Good Buff! I bet it was fun. Thanks for the pictures. Can you tell us a little more about how things seem to be in Zim these days? I've been wondering if things have improved any for the people of if they are still as bad as they were the past few years.
Test

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
+1. Great pics of what sounds like a really good hunt. Did you find much evidence of ongoing poaching in the area?

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by test1328
RAC,
Looks like a fantastic hunt. Good Buff! I bet it was fun. Thanks for the pictures. Can you tell us a little more about how things seem to be in Zim these days? I've been wondering if things have improved any for the people of if they are still as bad as they were the past few years.
Test

Great hunt and photos. I would like to hear of your observations from there as well. Miss the place, will have to go back soon.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
That old boy is a real beaut!

I'm an inveterate bullet digger. Nice to see the real-world performance. Are those softs a RN like the solids? Might find a use for such things in my x62.

"This duty fell upon me and was the worst job I ever had in my life.
I have known men I would rather shoot than the worst of dogs."

Frank Wild
Second in Command
Endurance 1914-1916
RAC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by test1328
RAC,
Test

This was a quick post as I have been trying to get my act together this week. I landed in Harare and spent the night in the Bronte Hotel. Next day I was picked up and driven 4 1/2 hours to Nixon's house in Cheredzi. From there we drove another 2 hours over dirt roads with a lot of bumps and potholes. My impression of Harare is that it is held together by bailing wire and duct tape. Nobody looks like they are starving but they don't look like they are having much fun either. The countryside was nicer once we got out of the urban areas. On the way back home, I bet I saw 1000's of school children walking on the side of the roads to school. Zim has gone over to the US dollar as their official currency. Even the gas stations advertise their gas in US dollars. I wanted some Zim money but nobody had any at our camp. I did manage to buy some at the airport shop, though. They were selling 100 Trillion dollar notes for $5, so I bought 3 of them. Their money has worth, but only as a novelty.

RAC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by BigUglyMan
That old boy is a real beaut!

I'm an inveterate bullet digger. Nice to see the real-world performance. Are those softs a RN like the solids? Might find a use for such things in my x62.

I was really impressed with the amount of bleeding in the bull and cow kudu. Big exit hole, too. The softs that I used were the Protected Point softs. I e-mailed the company and they said with the P.P. the velocity range for expansion would be better for a big animal like a buffalo. http://www.woodleighbullets.com.au/PP3.html

By coincidence, there was another guy at camp with an Italian 9.3 x74R double who was also using Woodleigh bullets. I believe he was using their conventional SP and he killed a buffalo right at dark. They went back the next day and he was dead, having traveled about 200 yards. He shot him slightly quartering away.

RAC Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264
+1. Great pics of what sounds like a really good hunt. Did you find much evidence of ongoing poaching in the area?

While tracking a head we literally came up on a cow buff that had just got her horns in a snare. I asked Nixon what we would do and he smiled and said you don't want 3 buffalo. About 45 minutes or so later when we came back she had broken the cable and got away. Good thing as I don't think I would want to take a pair of wire cutters and set her free! We found another snare on a different day and my 1st buff had been snared at one time.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
REALLY Beautiful Buffalo, especially the old boy with the big boss.....
Coooool Schitt, for sure.. cool
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cool! Congrats.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953
REJ Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Great buff......sounds like a great hunt....

rej

"We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so that we will always be free" - President Reagan
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I agree with Ingwe, that second buff is a really nice old warrior with character and shows a life of survival that only an old dagga boy can have, an awesome bull, the first buff is a bit young and soft for my taste..

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
RAC you got PM

MM

H
H
RAC you hAVE ANOTHER PM

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
That's a great looking double barrel rig! Looks right at home in those pix. Congrats!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Good Job! I wouldn't mind hanging either of those buff heads over my fireplace.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Nice buff, particularly the old boy. A real character. And the kudu's beautiful, also. I've loaded up some 350 Woodleigh PP's for my .375 for next time, but I'm going to use a .458. There ain't no flies on Woodleighs, for certain. PH on my last trip was using them in his .470 and swore by them.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I was somewhat instagative in the developement of the 350 gr. 375 Woodleighs and the 450 gr. 416 Woodleighs and Geoff sent me 4 boxes of RN softs, 4 boxes of PP in both calibers along with a couple of boxes of solids in those weights to field test in Africa...I shot them all up on African game and was certainly impressed with the results, especiall on cape buffalo.Both the 375 and the 416 excelled on all counts, especially the .416 Rem. with the 450 gr. PP..

I wanted the RN and Geoff wanted to produce the PP and as it turned out the PP was probably the best bullet, but in herd shooting the RN proved a real dandy as it always stops on the off side skin as opposed to getting an exit and hitting another buffalo..so the equasion is simple use PPs on the dagga boys (bachlor bulls) and use the RN when shooting in the herd..

Great bullets for sure..

Last edited by atkinson; 09/27/09.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 222Sako, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 51 invisible), 2,312 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,034
Posts18,500,661
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.