Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I am not saying I don't like it down here where we are is pretty nice. We finally have a home we can be proud of, the school system is good for my 2 girls and work is going well for both my wife and I although getting my tree business up and running has proved to be a challenge.

But the fact remains that it still isn't where I was born and raised and I have a feeling this may never feel like home!!!

At this point in time reloading and shooting seem to have found no desire in me..........other things as well!!!

GB1

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
The idea of someone fleeing back to the comforts of Baltimore is really funny to me.

I lived there for 2 years and would never live there again but god do I miss it. For all its flaws it will always be a great place in my memory.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
It wuld be different if I had some family down here, 700 miles from the only place I ever knew gets awfully lonely. No matter how good the relationship that my wife and I have she will never fill void I feel when hunting season rolls around.

The desire to hunt is fading fast also!

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Just embrace the new and positive things about your new area. Get the kids out fishing....way different than PA!!!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Some people ain't meant to move. Been stationed with guys that hate every place they've ever been and only talk about 'home'.

That said I'd want no part of a city.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have been in all 50 states and several countries. One thing that I find amusing is when I meet people have never been away from home but think living anywhere else is crazy. In my time in St. Louis, MO I must have run into a hundred people who had never left the state and could not understand why the would want to go anywhere else. While in the nave I spent time in NY City who had never left the city. Their view of live varied a lot from mine. grin

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I haven't been in one area for more than 5 consecutive years for the past 26 years. Don't mean I don't have my likes but I always take the good out of every new place and leave the rest.

I find the first year in a new place to be the most exciting.

I've moved around a lot ever since I left "home". I agree the first year is the best in each new location. If it sucks already, I'd say you've made a mistake.

Travis

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I mentioned how much I enjoyed Alaska at a BBQ in N.Florida one time. The guy I was talking with said 'I can't imagine Alaska has anything that Jackson county doesn't.'

I said 'You are correct, you can't imagine it.'

I can always tell a ringer after someone finds out I lived in Alaska and their first words are 'I couldn't live there, it's too cold'

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Very true. I always love the "Isn't really hot there?" Or "Is there anything to do in that state?"

Travis

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
'What is there to do' is always my favorite and pretty common reply amongst women. I just tell them you can do there what you do here, turn oxygen into carbon dioxide.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I mentioned how much I enjoyed Alaska at a BBQ in N.Florida one time. The guy I was talking with said 'I can't imagine Alaska has anything that Jackson county doesn't.'

Igloos man, as far as the eye can see! wink

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I said 'You are correct, you can't imagine it.'

I can always tell a ringer after someone finds out I lived in Alaska and their first words are 'I couldn't live there, it's too cold'

Never mind I have been in Kotzebue on a 101 degree day. grin They read it is cold and so it must be bad.

I get the same thing when people would find I live in the Pac NW. "It rains there all the time, I could never live in a place like that!" One woman told me her husband, a doctor, looked at a hospital in Seattle. She said it rained all three days they were there. I replied that in St. Louis where she lived it had rained for 17 days in a row and the forecast was for rain for the rest of the week. Her reply was well this rain is different.

I live at the base of the Olympic mountains. Not far from here it rains over 200 inches a year. We have had less than seven inches this year yet friends toll me it rains here all the time. I guess they know best. wink

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Don't think I haven't been asked that question, along with being told you can't drive to Alaska (since it's an island near Hawaii, at least the inset of Alaska on most maps is where some folks think it is).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

You keep on and I think I'll move to Pittsburg. I'm homesick for the place and I've never been there.

I know where you're coming from-lots do I assure you.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I knew a woman with a masters from UCLA who would get irate if you tried to tell her NC and SC were two different states,. Her proof, her kids had a wooden baby puzzle and the two states were one piece. No she had brown hair. wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs
It wuld be different if I had some family down here, 700 miles from the only place I ever knew gets awfully lonely. No matter how good the relationship that my wife and I have she will never fill void I feel when hunting season rolls around.

Okay dude, you asked. I don't mean to be offensive here but I'll tell you straight-up. Bristoe is wrong. Life ain't all about happiness and swimming with the dolphins or riding wild donkeys with the Rolling Stones while "Don't Worry, Be Happy" plays in the background. Sometimes it can be great, like when your kid is born or on your honeymoon night. Other times it is years and years of working for some bastage who is less intelligent, more ignorant, and less motivated than you are. Sometimes it is in a job you hate and where you've been passed over for promotion, usually by your boss who is the owner's son-in-law or some such. Sometimes it is in some area of the country where all the people look like zombies on 'ludes and there are winos on every corner. It was drilled into modern kids that their own happiness was all that mattered. Those born and raised in the 40's and 50's know what I mean. There was a sense of duty. "Fun" wasn't something anybody was concerned about. You lived and died and did your duty in between, sometimes having some good times along the way.

My advice is to take stock. You say things are good and that your kids are in a good school and your house is good. It sounds to me like you are close to paradise. You haven't even hunted around there have you? How in he// is Georgia that inferior to Pennsylvania hunting-wise? Y'all got elks up there or Grizzlies? Last time I looked whitetails were your main big game animals in Penn, same as in Georgia. You got forests down there, just like in Penn. Soybean and cotton fields instead of corn? WGAS? People talk slower out in the country. The basses are much bigger in Georgia, let me assure you.

I hate to tell you this, but your family will die off and forget about you. Work on your relationships with those closest to you and don't sweat the other people.

It's a non-existent problem with the conditions you described.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yep, big difference between educated and intelligent.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't think I haven't been asked that question, along with being told you can't drive to Alaska (since it's an island near Hawaii, at least the inset of Alaska on most maps is where some folks think it is).

Wife had a coworker once who said that. I was literately stunned speechless. She did have a smoking hot body and and a completely empty mind. She would have been perfect you Scott! grin

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pugs

Wife had a coworker once who said that. I was literately stunned speechless. She did have a smoking hot body and and a completely empty mind. She would have been perfect you Scott! grin

He// that sounds like almost all women to me, except leaving out the smoking hot body part.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs

Okay dude, you asked. I don't mean to be offensive here but I'll tell you straight-up. Bristoe is wrong. Life ain't all about happiness and swimming with the dolphins or riding wild donkeys with the Rolling Stones while "Don't Worry, Be Happy" plays in the background. Sometimes it can be great, like when your kid is born or on your honeymoon night. Other times it is years and years of working for some bastage who is less intelligent, more ignorant, and less motivated than you are. Sometimes it is in a job you hate and where you've been passed over for promotion, usually by your boss who is the owner's son-in-law or some such. Sometimes it is in some area of the country where all the people look like zombies on 'ludes and there are winos on every corner. It was drilled into modern kids that their own happiness was all that mattered. Those born and raised in the 40's and 50's know what I mean. There was a sense of duty. "Fun" wasn't something anybody was concerned about. You lived and died and did your duty in between, sometimes having some good times along the way.

,...and if you pay all of those dues,..then what?

You get to be happy when you're 80 years old?

Life is about being happy with your station in it.

That's success.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (1234, 1lesfox, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 52 invisible), 1,883 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,164
Posts18,523,540
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.