Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Don't think I haven't been asked that question, along with being told you can't drive to Alaska (since it's an island near Hawaii, at least the inset of Alaska on most maps is where some folks think it is).

Wife had a coworker once who said that. I was literately stunned speechless. She did have a smoking hot body and and a completely empty mind. She would have been perfect you Scott! grin

Back in 1982, I had a friend ring me asking if I heard that Argentina had invaded Scotland...

Me: "WTF?"

Him: "Well, not Scoland, but one of the Islands, near Orkney or somewhere..."

Of course he (& I'm ashamed to say it was a "he") was talking about the Falklands....

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Good thread, with an important lesson.

If you are considering relocating or looking for a place to retire, don't rely on what the natives tell you. In many places, the locals who leave and those who stay there their entire lives are different breeds, especially if the place sucks by any reasonable criteria.

You really need to get the perspective of somebody who has been there awhile after moving from somewhere else. In my experience, it takes a certain critical mass of immigrants to make a place congenial for newcomers. One test, particularly for retirees, is if most of the geezers still hang out with their high school buddies, it is probably pretty provincial.

Best place I ever moved to was Denver in the early 1960s. Lots of young people moved there from somewhere else to build a life. Living was cheap, and lots to do. Should never have left. Most provincial, especially for a city of 100K, was Pew-town, 100 miles to the south. I lived there too.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

"Other times it is years and years of working for some bastage who is less intelligent, more ignorant, a..."

Yep, that sounds like most of my life but add totally immoral,

I think he is self employed so that's a big plus.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs
It wuld be different if I had some family down here, 700 miles from the only place I ever knew gets awfully lonely. No matter how good the relationship that my wife and I have she will never fill void I feel when hunting season rolls around.

The desire to hunt is fading fast also!

Okay dude, you asked. I don't mean to be offensive here but I'll tell you straight-up. Bristoe is wrong. Life ain't all about happiness and swimming with the dolphins or riding wild donkeys with the Rolling Stones while "Don't Worry, Be Happy" plays in the background. Sometimes it can be great, like when your kid is born or on your honeymoon night. Other times it is years and years of working for some bastage who is less intelligent, more ignorant, and less motivated than you are. Sometimes it is in a job you hate and where you've been passed over for promotion, usually by your boss who is the owner's son-in-law or some such. Sometimes it is in some area of the country where all the people look like zombies on 'ludes and there are winos on every corner. It was drilled into modern kids that their own happiness was all that mattered. Those born and raised in the 40's and 50's know what I mean. There was a sense of duty. "Fun" wasn't something anybody was concerned about. You lived and died and did your duty in between, sometimes having some good times along the way.

,...and if you pay all of those dues,..then what?

You get to be happy when you're 80 years old?

Life is about being happy with your station in it.

That's success.

That statement is a whole far cry from the other post you made. Making happiness where you find it is a lot different than expecting it to be handed to you. I really doubt that Treelimbs is the kind of guy who expects everything to be given to him. After all, he's not on the DimUnderground page. I didn't say you get to be happy at 80 either.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Scotland, Falklands, they aren't the same place? grin

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by slasher

"Other times it is years and years of working for some bastage who is less intelligent, more ignorant, a..."

Yep, that sounds like most of my life but add totally immoral,

I think he is self employed so that's a big plus.

Sorry, I forgot the "immoral" part. Consider it added.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Bristoe
It wuld be different if I had some family down here, 700 miles from the only place I ever knew gets awfully lonely. No matter how good the relationship that my wife and I have she will never fill void I feel when hunting season rolls around.

Okay dude, you asked. I don't mean to be offensive here but I'll tell you straight-up. Bristoe is wrong. Life ain't all about happiness and swimming with the dolphins or riding wild donkeys with the Rolling Stones while "Don't Worry, Be Happy" plays in the background. Sometimes it can be great, like when your kid is born or on your honeymoon night. Other times it is years and years of working for some bastage who is less intelligent, more ignorant, and less motivated than you are. Sometimes it is in a job you hate and where you've been passed over for promotion, usually by your boss who is the owner's son-in-law or some such. Sometimes it is in some area of the country where all the people look like zombies on 'ludes and there are winos on every corner. It was drilled into modern kids that their own happiness was all that mattered. Those born and raised in the 40's and 50's know what I mean. There was a sense of duty. "Fun" wasn't something anybody was concerned about. You lived and died and did your duty in between, sometimes having some good times along the way.

,...and if you pay all of those dues,..then what?

You get to be happy when you're 80 years old?

Life is about being happy with your station in it.

That's success.

That statement is a whole far cry from the other post you made. Making happiness where you find it is a lot different than expecting it to be handed to you. I really doubt that Treelimbs is the kind of guy who expects everything to be given to him. After all, he's not on the DimUnderground page. I didn't say you get to be happy at 80 either.

No,..the statements are identical.

It really doesn't matter what your station in life is, if it doesn't make you happy, it's useless to you.

It's a very simple concept.

"Live *your* life".

There's people everywhere who will attempt to manipulate you, to heap obligations on you,..to make you feel that you have to live your life in a certain manner and not give the quality of your own life a second thought as long as it provides *them* with what they need from you.

,..fuggum.

Make yourself happy.

Let the others find their own avenue to happiness without bleeding it off of you.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R

My advice is to take stock. You say things are good and that your kids are in a good school and your house is good. It sounds to me like you are close to paradise. You haven't even hunted around there have you? How in he// is Georgia that inferior to Pennsylvania hunting-wise? Y'all got elks up there or Grizzlies? Last time I looked whitetails were your main big game animals in Penn, same as in Georgia. You got forests down there, just like in Penn. Soybean and cotton fields instead of corn? WGAS? People talk slower out in the country. The basses are much bigger in Georgia, let me assure you.

I hate to tell you this, but your family will die off and forget about you. Work on your relationships with those closest to you and don't sweat the other people.

It's a non-existent problem with the conditions you described.

Yep I did ask and all opinions are welcome. As far as I am concerned if I am not happy after a certain period of time then moving back will happen. This isn't about just me it is about my family too. As far as hunting, Pittsburgh is where all my buddies are. When the desire to hunt is not there then why force yourself!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
rahtreelimbs

First I would tell you I know exactly how you feel. My wife and I moved to GA just under 2 years ago. Initially, we felt the same way. We missed "home" and talked about it constantly. It was my first move in my life, having lived in upstate NY for my first 40 years. I miss lots of different stuff, but I've learned theres plenty of new things to explore here. I was 2 1/2 hours north of the city and attending football/hockey etc was a pain. Now we are 40 minutes away from Turner Field or the Dome...so thats kinda cool. I'm sure you had your favorite eateries in Pittsburgh, I know I do in NY, I think about them constantly but have found some good places to eat. Still cant find some good pastries though. So, I guess my point is to give it some time. On a side note, my wife and I had some of our worst fights ever once we moved down. In retrospect, we were both adjusting blah blah blah.
I will admit that I have not hunted in GA yet. Not sure why, just dont have the urge. I do go home a couple of times a year to go up to camp. Hang in there, the culture shock wears off and it will be fine. Get some bbq and sweet tea and sit on the porch. If your ever in the Marietta area, let me know...we can bitch together

Adkstalker

Kiss your girlfriend where it smells.......take her to Jersey!

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You do know you can meet new people, right?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That is what I was thinking.

I know no one can make me happy except me. I have been happy in some strange places because I choose to be happy. Did I like moving to MO to go to school. Not after living in Oregon I didn't but I made myself happy anyway.

Realtree you have a lot to be thankful for. Wife, kids, job and home are just a few I saw you mentioned. Look at the things you like about life and dwell on those things. Then find a gun club and join. You will fine goof folks there who like the same things you like. As was mentioned above, find a church if you are a church going guy. Let some of your new friends show you around. I know there id good hunting and fishing in Georgia. It will be different that where you cane from but different is not a bad thing.

Make this move into an adventure and you will find a lot to like.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Yep I did ask and all opinions are welcome. As far as I am concerned if I am not happy after a certain period of time then moving back will happen. This isn't about just me it is about my family too. As far as hunting, Pittsburgh is where all my buddies are. When the desire to hunt is not there then why force yourself!!!

Not to be too nosy,..but since you're asking opinions,..

What made you choose to leave Pittsburg for Georgia?

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I think you nailed it for yourself. (All your budddies are back home) It's important for you to be happy in order to be the best you can for your family try to meet new friends keep an open mind and in time you will make the right choice.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Three months ago my family and I moved from Pittsburgh, Pa. to Cumming Ga. I have been down here steady for about 2 months. Everything was good up until 24 hours or so ago. My new job and the wifes job (the reason we relocated) are going good. I can seem to shake this feeling that I would rather be back in Pittsburgh. I realize that I need to give this more time but how much???

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
oh,..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Three months ago my family and I moved from Pittsburgh, Pa. to Cumming Ga. I have been down here steady for about 2 months. Everything was good up until 24 hours or so ago. My new job and the wifes job (the reason we relocated) are going good. I can seem to shake this feeling that I would rather be back in Pittsburgh. I realize that I need to give this more time but how much???

Stay with it. Find the "things to do" in your new home. Explore on the weekend when possible. Try to be flexible. Me and my fam have lived in 6 states and 3 counties. I've spent significant amounts of time in a few more countries and states. We didn't necessarily like all those places that well when we arrived, but we soon came to enjoy each and every one and have fond memories of each.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Local rumor is that Auburn gained a football coach because his wife didn't like living in Iowa.

Paul

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Whoa, As an Auburn grad I'll have to take that I reckon.

I was wondering, well the entire Auburn Alumni Assoc was wondering why and how. We finally decided he must have been golfing buddies with our famous banker trustee-the one whose banks, Colonial, just went belly up recently.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm not a football fan, but my dog tells me she misses playing with their dog at doggie day care. grin

Paul

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Is your dog unhappy, too? That does it. Nothing worse than a moping, sulking dog?

Well, I can understand a lot of this because hunting and guns were my life for years, and you just don't drop that out of the blue.

I suggest a few trips back to Pittsburg each year to hunt. I used to love to drive for long trips and it's not that far.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (222Sako, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 160user, 1234, 1OntarioJim, 50 invisible), 1,763 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,160
Posts18,523,492
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.