-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Okay, as others have said, what's changed? You don't like it as good as home but...has it worked out well for your wife? Having a happy wife and kids can go a long ways towards making the old man happy.

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
I am in no way miserable. Duty comes first though. Then honor. Happiness isn't on my list of things to do tomorrow...and yet I find myself happy. What would you rather have on your tombstone, "he did his duty" or "he made himself happy"? A lot of happy asssholes ran off to Canada...

I assume you are in the military???

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Quote from General Lee. One that I believe and took to heart at an early age. Duty comes in many forms as does honor.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You may think I'm raggin' on you, but I'm really trying to help. What I'm saying can be summed up thusly...don't make a hasty move home. You haven't given it time to work yet. This is unless it is not working out the way you expected as far as what motivated you (wife's job) to begin with.

The "duty" discussion is mainly one that Bristoe initiated. I have no reason to believe you are doing anything but your duty and also honoring your family. You moved what, a thousand miles, for your wife? A lot of guy's wouldn't do that. I think you are to be commended. Do what you gotta do. Just don't let the homesick blues dictate it. There was a reason you left...

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I am in no way miserable. Duty comes first though. Then honor. Happiness isn't on my list of things to do tomorrow...and yet I find myself happy. What would you rather have on your tombstone, "he did his duty" or "he made himself happy"? A lot of happy asssholes ran off to Canada...

I'll go with both.

Being happy is my own personal duty.

IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
You may think I'm raggin' on you, but I'm really trying to help.

Yeah,...you're a lotta damn help.

"Be miserable,...do your duty!"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Free-spirit just doesn't play when you have a family. I know a lot of people who believe in their own happiness at all costs. They leave behind them a wake of human suffering.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

Free-spirit just doesn't play when you have a family.

Yeah,...raise them to learn to be miserable too.

That's a good lesson in life.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
lol Being drunk on Sunday night isn't my idea of happiness. Check back in after you sober up.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
My wife is feeling the same way I am..........maybe to a lesser degree than I am. Whatever decision that will be made will be done as a family. He happiness is a priority too!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs
My wife is feeling the same way I am..........maybe to a lesser degree than I am. Whatever decision that will be made will be done as a family. He happiness is a priority too!!!

Of course. I think that's the way it should be. Just be advised that most folks who make a big move probably go through exactly the same thing. Maybe y'all need to give it some time, maybe not. 'nuf said on my part. Good luck.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You have a month and 3 weeks until Thanksgiving and I believe you can rifle hunt in Pennsylvania that following week?
So, you stay up there after your family's Thanksgiving visit, and fly home after you get your buck and socializing with your buddies. You owe that to yourself. If there are in-laws, siblings, etc. that could come back with your wife and kids to assist with babysitting and house stuff-they get to see Georgia.

You can hold on 7 weeks and then see family, buddies, and hunt.

It takes time in Georgia to get in with a crowd you would mesh with to hunt and shoot. They can be provincial (closed, ignorant, unfriendly to outsiders), to say the least, in the rural and small town areas.

Just something to consider.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
lol Being drunk on Sunday night isn't my idea of happiness. Check back in after you sober up.

Your idea of happiness is doing what others expect of you.

You've already made that obvious.

Let me know how that works out fer yas.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

You don't get it. I'd talk it over with you in more detail if you weren't drunk, but I doubt you'd get it then either. I don't get my happiness from doing what others expect of me. I have my duties, first to God and then to my family, community, state and country. In that order.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I grew up in Pittsburgh and understand where you are right now. (SW Pa is a great place, although the weather really stinks.) You don't know the new area and don't have a support network there.

All these suggestions from the thread make great sense to me

1. Get to know the area. Every weekend you and your wife should plan a new and different excursion. Check out all the sights and local places. Get a tour guidebook and each of you choose 10 places that look interesting. Check out some of the local tours as well. There is a lot to see down there.

2. Build up your support network. Join a church. a club, bring a bottle of wine or 6pack over to the neighbors. Invite them for dinner. Even if you conclude that they are weird, that is something you know about someone there.

3. Don't cut your ties to Pittsburgh. Do head back for the important family routines, such as hunting or family get-togethers.

4. Invite some of the family and friends to your new place and show them around. In fact, maybe find a good spot for a hunting trip and get some of your buddies down there for it.

5. Were the local 24Hr campfire folks planning a grill and chill in the near future?

Chuck

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

You don't get it.

Oh yes I do!

I got it a long time ago,...but I wish I had got it sooner.

As for all of the ad hom stuff,...my ass,(pointing)...kiss it.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Invite them for dinner. Even if you conclude that they are weird, that is something you know about someone there.

Some of my best friends are the weird ones. Guess that says a lot about me. grin

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

You don't get it.

Oh yes I do!

I got it a long time ago,...but I wish I had got it sooner.

As for all of the ad hom stuff,...my ass,(pointing)...kiss it.

Sounds like you're reeeeeaaaaaallllll happy B. Drunk and angry. What a way to achieve happiness. I believe you're right, you do get it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not really. Lots of weird folks are interesting.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 12,216 guests, and 1,059 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,368
Posts18,547,140
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.