Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Anybody been on a *snipe hunt* or taken somebody on one?

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
yes two times in the 60s

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You do know that in some areas there are snipe and you can hunt them.
Bill

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
When I lived back east, we usually got in 1 or 2 hunts per year. The northern subspecies has a pleasant "snipe, snipe, snipe" call. One must be aware of the southern subspecies habitat though and and use a different call anywhere south of Virginia. It's more of a "Snyyype, snyyype, snyyype" sound with a more nasal tone.
Here's a shot of good bull.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by 1minute; 09/28/09.

1Minute
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by idnative1948
Anybody been on a *snipe hunt* or taken somebody on one?

yes, we would equip our hunters with a burlap sack, a flashlight & a club.

instructions were to stand on the snipe trail holding the bag open & shining the flashlight through the bottom of the bag. When the snipe ran into the bag he was supposed to close the end up quickly & begin clubbing the bag until the snipe stopped moving.

Us guys that were making the snipe drive would hop in the truck & go to town for a beer & leave the snipe hunter holding the bag about 3 miles out of town.

Something clever here.

IC B2

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M

I
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
My guess is that you *snipe hunters* have also bagged a jackalope and have a mount on your wall.

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
we have snipe up here too, it's an actual bird, long beek, they flush on trails & fly ahead about 30 yds, then flush again, & again... the wings whistle when they fly. not enough meat on em for me to bother with.

& when you said "snipe hunt" I knew what you were really talking about. grin

Something clever here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've taken a few folks snipe hunting in North Carolina. wink

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by northern_dave
we have snipe up here too, it's an actual bird, long beek, they flush on trails & fly ahead about 30 yds, then flush again, & again... the wings whistle when they fly. not enough meat on em for me to bother with.

Of course you did!

Sometimes if you let out a few 'snipe' calls while holding the flashlight, a snipe will just get right in the bag.

Really surprises those on the drive when you all-ready bagged a couple before the ones there chasing down the trail gets there!

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Northern_Dave: An issue for us lately has been a shortage of burlap bags. Seems the plastic feed sacks are not nearly as effective. The price we pay for progress....

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep, have to admit, burlap is bag, although, Army Laundry bags work real well too. Took a few LT's out Snipe hunting at Fort Hood.

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by K_Salonek
Originally Posted by northern_dave

Of course you did!

Sometimes if you let out a few 'snipe' calls while holding the flashlight, a snipe will just get right in the bag.

Really surprises those on the drive when you all-ready bagged a couple before the ones there chasing down the trail gets there!

I bet that would surely surprise the heck out of them grin

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by 1minute
Northern_Dave: An issue for us lately has been a shortage of burlap bags. Seems the plastic feed sacks are not nearly as effective. The price we pay for progress....

yep, gotta have that "gunny sack"

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It was a long standing tradition in my troop for the older boys to take the new tenderfoot scouts snipe hunting on their first campout after crossing over.

It was interesting that the boys who took the joke well generally stayed in the program. The grumps that got mad and pouted usually didn't hang around long.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ScoutmasterRick
It was a long standing tradition in my troop for the older boys to take the new tenderfoot scouts snipe hunting on their first campout after crossing over.

Same here.

...new laws were most numerous when the commonwealth was most corrupt. ~ Publius Cornelius Tacitus
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We've left more than one tenderfoot out on the end of a logging trail holding a burlap sack and blowing a whistle. I've never laughed so hard in my life! Of course the level of fun was directly related to our comsumption of "beverages" at the time.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
An older cousin of mine tried to take a bunch of us younger kids out Snipe Hunting when I was young. We were onto it though and he couldn't sneak off adequately.

One time a friend of mine and I were out quail hunting and a bird exploded under his feet. He shot it on reaction. I believe it was probably a Snipe. We thought it was a Woodcock, but it really whistled. Neither bird is plentiful around here. This was probably thirty years ago. My how time flies...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We have both kinds of snipe hunts here. The real ones are great sport and good eating. The kind you "bag" at night are okay, but you have to keep an eye out for Stumpman...

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ScoutmasterRick

It was interesting that the boys who took the joke well generally stayed in the program. The grumps that got mad and pouted usually didn't hang around long.

Yeah we had that too! smile

Earlobitis was another good one. Kids would often catch it the first time that they went to Scout Camp. Everybody else could see it starting to grow on their ears, the more experienced of us anyway. A guy could lose an ear if it wasn't treated soon. Seems the only known cure is to nip it in the bud by painting both of their ears with iodine or mythiliolate (sp) (the bright red stuff). grin

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (10Glocks, 1badf350, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,033
Posts18,500,592
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.