-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
better yet, have it poking its head out around some brush at your buddies stand, so opening morning he see it and keeps waiting for it to take one more step, or he neck shoots it and you get a real kick out of it!

no ideas now Dave!!!

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
that was my first idea but then my old man syndrome kicked in & advised against it grin

for a couple of reasons, first off the safety part of it then secondly, the gag just wouldn't be all that repeatable if it's shot fulla holes!! grin

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yeah I thought of that too, but it would be one heck of a joke!

either way, and you're right it would be a one time deal

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
i've got some friends that put a concrete yard ornament deer out in a field against the woods for road hunters to shoot at down by grygla mn.

you would be in your stand a half a mile away & hear truck tires skidding on the gravel followed by sometimes 10 or 15 shots.

"why cant i hit that deer? I keep missing!!"

they hit it plenty, them boys had to repaint there fake deer all the time.

funny.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
It doesn't bother me that you have it...it's your house man.

No way I'd have thrown in out either. Lots of uses for it, make a lamp, rattlin horns, ect.

I guess I'm a little "seasoned" on this subject because my father in law buys mounts, or keeps hors he rescuses from the trash, and tells EVERYONE he shot them. He even forgets, and tells me the same stories, even one I was with him when he bought.

I got enough stories like that to fill 5 pages here, but I won't.

I didn't mean any offense to you, just stating I wouldn't do it, that's all. smile

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by northern_dave
i've got some friends that put a concrete yard ornament deer out in a field against the woods for road hunters to shoot at down by grygla mn.

you would be in your stand a half a mile away & hear truck tires skidding on the gravel followed by sometimes 10 or 15 shots.

"why cant i hit that deer? I keep missing!!"

they hit it plenty, them boys had to repaint there fake deer all the time.

funny.

DNR guy that speaks at our hunters safety classes, had to put the kibosh on a guy that was stalking one of their robotic decoys. This guy was doing it legally though. smile

Stopped his truck up the road, got out, uncased, loaded up once he was in the woods....the whole bit, all legal. Appearantly the DNR didn't want any extra hole in their decoy, because it was expensive to fix.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Basically it's on a wall in my garage near my reloading bench as kind of a converstion piece. Only people that see it is my reloading/hunting buddies and they saw it after I rescued it.

The deer/turkey I killed are over and around my rock fireplace for everyone to see. My fish are over my fly tying table in my man cave.

I'm just saying it isnt like I have it mixed in with anything I killed and new people who come into my house dont have a chance to see it. I'm not taking any offense to what your saying, I'm just saying I think it's a neat piece to have around. Whether I killed it or not, it's displayed in a way the problem or thought doesn't play in to anything.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A couple of years ago I was at the pawn shop and they had a set of antlers on a board with about 16 total points, many where short, good mass, cool antlers. I offeret the 30.00 and they took it.

I hung them in my office for the summer, somthing to daydream about.

come fall I took them to camp and we put them in the back of the truck with a side sticking up when people came for weigh in, had some good laughs.

After season I put them on ebay and sold them for 400.00+ to some nut.

Im sure there are many ways for you to enjoy this mount wink

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Grogel_Deluxe

After season I put them on ebay and sold them for 400.00+ to some nut.

Im sure there are many ways for you to enjoy this mount wink

That's one of them deals you don't tell the wife about...grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I doubt that you made all of the furniture in your house either. But, you know what? who cares. You are preserving a piece of history. Congrats on your find. It belongs in your trophy room.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don't see anything to be ashamed of. Somebody older than all of us and wiser probably shot that deer, and it was a great trophy. I would not hesitate to place it next to my reloading bench and think about the hunter who took it during my breaks.
But to the younger and more black-and-white crowd, I have no problem with you hanging just your trophies. Myself, I don't hang trophies and I don't hunt for trophies. I hunt just to be hunting and for meat.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Last Christmas in my living room.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Id hang it over my reloading table my fried found some bass mounts at the dump and hung them in his boat shed met the guy that caught them a few years later turns out his ex wife had threw then away and he got them back

Last edited by jcdixon77; 09/24/09.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I acquired a deer mount in similar fashion. Rescued it off a front porch in the rain (with permission). The mount itself was poorly done so I cut off the antlers and discovered that the skullplate had been split and it had a much wider spread than first appeared. I keep the rack around to remind me of what a 140" whitetail actually looks like!

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
B
B
I have a mount that my sister (a non-hunting vegan) rescued from the curb for me. It isn't even a nice buck and it is showing its age, but I still hung it up. Buying a mount and saying you harvested it is a completely different story than saving one from being thrown away. I guess it depends on why you even have them mounted to begin with. I consider most animals worthy of being mounted and dont just display them for macho bragging rights.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Sell it on craigslist or fleabay and put the $$ into your rifle, ammo or next hunt...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thats a nice deer.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1234, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,589 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,816
Posts18,516,649
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.