Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I bought a Lyman #55 Powder Measurer 2 days ago. I set it up and loaded 9mm Luger ammo. It functioned great, and very consistent. Enabled me to load 3 times faster what it would usually take. I thought I would try loading some 308 win. Rifle Loads. Problem. I was using IMR 3031. The throw handle would bind about halfway down when charging a case. At this point I exerted pressure firmly and could get to go all way down. Each time I threw a charge it would bind on handle. IMR 3031 is an extuded stick powder. Im assuming the Lyman Measurer
only works with ball or flake powder. If anyone knows how to remedy this and enable it to work with the extruded powder let me know. Lastly, would I be better served with the LYMAN #55
powder measurer or The RCBS Uniflow powder measurer? Thanks

Bearbuck

Bearbuck
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
3031 is like little Lincoln Logs and it will meter crunchily in the Uniflow and most other powder measures as well. A possible exception is the Quick Measure but I don't have personal experience with it.

http://www.quick-measure.com/

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bearbuck
would I be better served with the LYMAN #55
powder measurer or The RCBS Uniflow powder measurer? Thanks

Bearbuck

The RCBS will also bind & shear long grained powders.

To minimize it, you'll need short grained stick, ball or flake type powders.

I use a lot of RL15, RL22 & Norma MRP for that very reason.

MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use Lyman #55s exclusively for all of my reloading, which includes extruded powders. The key to throwing consistent loads with the #55 is to throw it with authority, not matter whether flake, ball, or extruded. The tapper helps immensely to consistently fill the cylinder, but throw it quickly and it will shear the "logs" and allow it to drop the load. Don't give up on it, just learn how to use it properly. The more consistent you are with your throwing technique, the more consistent your thrown charge weights will be.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been using a #55 for better than 40 years now and I have found that authority is good but I have never used the little hammer thingy since the first few months or so. I start with the handle down and do a full swing up and back to down to drop powder charges and do not let the handle bounce off the stops. I usually can stay + or - .0002 Gr that way, (I have lots of practice). I have good luck even with IMR 4064. Also I find that the deeper you make the powder ie all three parts of the measure moved as much as possible together the better is works not only for accuracy but for the crunchyness as well. Best o'luck Bear

Bear

Life is what happens to you as you are making other plans.

NRA Patron Member
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hmm, I've been working on the theory that the measure would fill more accurately the shallower you make the powder column, especially in very light charges, (7 gr. Unique for example). The deeper the better definitely reduces the crunch - smaller potential surface area to shear. I don't know if the tapper improves anything, but I use it as part of my routine out of habit.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Extruded powders are difficult in a lot of the drum type measures, but supposedley fixed with the Quick Measure. I actually have on of the Quick Measures, and haven't had it long enough to even set up and use.

Honestly, the best measure I have found for extruded powders is the el cheapo Lee Perfect measure. I have set it up against both Lyman and RCBS drops, and it is consistently more accurate. So much so, that I actually have two set up on my bench. Do yourself a favor and pick on up, they can be had for under $20. Believe me, you will be impressed with its performance.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I use the Lee also and find it excellent with extruded powders. I also hear it may leak some with fine (ball) powders but for the price I like it for my rifle cartridges.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
As posted, you have to lower the handle with authority to shear the little logs in two.
As to which proceedure is best, that's up to you. Whatever works best for you.
I use a down stroke, slight lift and tap (to make sure the reservoir emptys , up stroke smartly, slight tap to settle the powder and make sure the hopper fills, down stroke with authority, repeat.
The "secret" to consistant loads is consistant opeeration of your meter. The more you use your measure, the better you'll get. You will not find one that doesn't bind with stick powder.

Aim for the exit hole.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (BDR1, batch, BB3, 7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 10 invisible), 1,483 guests, and 890 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,056
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.