Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I would like some advice on what after market trigger works the best for the Ruger #1. I would like to get something that I could put in myself if possible. Also would like to get the receiver case colored/flamed whatever you wish to call it done. How involved is this? I once heard that the Ruger#1 receiver didn't have the proper metal to have this done as it was an "investment cast" I believe I was told. I thought the grade of steel had more to do with case hardening ability than the mold type and also thought an investment cast was of decent quality as far as castings go. What do I know?, I've been out of the machining bizz for over a decade now and never was a "gunsmith". Please help with advice..........

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are at least three current aftermarket triggers for the #1/#3. The most common and an imitation of the original 3-screw Ruger trigger is the Moyers. Some have taken exception with the finish/QC of these made recently, but I have only older ones and have never had any issues with them. (I have a Moyers SS trigger like new for sale; if interested, send me a PM).
From the the Moyers ($53?), things get expensive quickly. There is a new Jard trigger for the #1 that has been given some good early reviews, but I have no experience with these (yet). I think they are around $125. Then you move up to the top end; the Kepplinger set trigger which is over $200, but by all indications very nice if you want a set trigger. Canjar used to make quite few #1 set triggers, but they're out of business. If you can get one for less $200, it's probably a good deal.

There are a lot of Number Ones out there with color case hardened receivers, so your source is obviously wrong about that.

Last edited by gewehrfreund; 10/01/09.
H
H
David Clements makes a terrific 3-screw trigger for the #1. I have several and am very pleased with them. Go to clementscustomguns.com and email him with your needs. To my knowledge, they are only available in blued versions.

Anthony Ruggerio at Broad Creek Rifle Works offers a very nice stainless trigger. I have one in my K-1A .35 Whelen and am impressed with it.

Last edited by HollicaSnooze; 10/01/09.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund
There are at least three current aftermarket triggers for the #1/#3. The most common and an imitation of the original 3-screw Ruger trigger is the Moyers. Some have taken exception with the finish/QC of these made recently, but I have only older ones and have never had any issues with them. (I have a Moyers SS trigger like new for sale; if interested, send me a PM).
From the the Moyers ($53?), things get expensive quickly. There is a new Jard trigger for the #1 that has been given some good early reviews, but I have no experience with these (yet). I think they are around $125. Then you move up to the top end; the Kepplinger set trigger which is over $200, but by all indications very nice if you want a set trigger. Canjar used to make quite few #1 set triggers, but they're out of business. If you can get one for less $200, it's probably a good deal.

There are a lot of Number Ones out there with color case hardened receivers, so your source is obviously wrong about that.
Installation of an aftermarket trigger by itself will not give a better trigger pull. The sear engagement surfaces often need to be polished and the triggers springs often need coils clipped or replaced.

The price quoted for the Jard trigger is MSRP; I would expect the cost to drop somewhat if Brownell's or other suppliers start carrying them.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As for the case-coloring of a Ruger No.1, had one done myself by Doug Turnbull and it came out great!

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (1234, 117LBS, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,871
Posts18,518,028
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.