Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Dufur Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I got a rem 700 257 wby SPS SS last year and promptly adjusted the trigger to a 2.5 lb pull approx. Loved it and hunted it last year. Getting ready for the season this year I was working the bolt, safety, and dry firing the rifle. What I learned horrified me. If I had my finger barely resting on the trigger while I went from Safe to Fire position with the safety the gun would go ahead and fire. Otherwise, banging the butt of the gun on the floor, slamming the bolt, working the safety back and forth could not induce a discharge. So most of the normal safety checks I did were still good. However, even though I keep my finger off the trigger when operating the safety when I'm hunting, I just wasn't comfortable with this situation. So back to about 4 lbs I adjusted the trigger before this was no longer an issue. I don't think I like the mark-x too much now. Just thought if this would prevent anyone else from having a potential accidental discharge waiting to happen it would be worth it to post about it. I'm disappointed that this new trigger does this; but it is still crisp now just heavy at 4 lbs approx.

HR IC

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Wait till it does it without your finger being anywhere near the trigger...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is that a common occurrence?

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Same question, I thought the new Rem trigger was getting pretty good marks.....

D
Dufur Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I think that anyone who has adjusted their x-mark pro trigger way down and it seems to work fine should maybe run their gun thru this scenario just to be sure. It would only happen if I rested (even just barely) my finger on the trigger while moving the safety from "safe" to "fire". Once the safety was in the fire position the trigger pull was right around 2.5 lbs as normal. I just adjusted pull weight back into the trigger until this occurance stopped happening completely and consistently and ended up somewhere around 4 lbs. My finger pressure was very light to make this happen; like I'm talking an ounce or two. Freaked me out.

Last edited by Dufur; 10/01/09.
IC B2

D
Dufur Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I almost to hate to post about this because I love the fact that we have exited the "lawyer trigger period of time" and we are getting factory rifles with much better triggers these days. I adjusted the trigger and have no intention of making a legal issue out of it. I just want to put out an FYI as I know we are responsible and safe firearms owners who like to get the most out of our firearms.

D
Dufur Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
One more thing...the only adjustments I ever made was adjusting the trigger pull weight allen screw. I didn't ever touch the sear or overtravel screws. They are cemented in like fort knox anyway from the factory.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Been there...Mine was backed down to 4 pounds, and the other screws weren't touched. All I did was flip the safety and BOOM!

Just pop the two pins, buy a new trigger, and use the old one for a decoy weight.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Dufur,

Thanks for posting your concerns.

Although proper gun handling and following the basic rules of gun safety should prevent this from being an issue, most applicably:

-Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.
-Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
-Keep the safety on until you are ready to shoot.

Your observation is still a valid concern. I can easily imagine scenarios where a young, excited or gloved hunter (with trigger finger resting on the trigger guard as the safety is disengaged with the thumb) could inadvertently cause the gun to fire.

I was able to duplicate your findings using my Model Seven XCR (set to 2.75 lbs), and it bothers me enough that when time allows, I'll write and express my concerns to Big Green.

Alas, a letter or e-mail may not amount to much...but I've heard that Youtube postings sometimes get amazing results in terms of motivating corporate America... smile Noooo...I won't go there, as I'd fear the corporate wrath.

Thanks again, and best wishes.

Last edited by Bulltail; 10/02/09.

NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life Member
Hunter Education Master Instructor
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
WOW I still cannot believe that a major firearms manufacturer can't get a trigger right.

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
So the guy is bitching because he can't keep his finger on the trigger while flipping it from safe to fire?!

Unbelievable..

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
WOW I still cannot believe that a major firearms manufacturer can't get a trigger right.

I'd suspect that Dufur doesn't have a clue about adjusting triggers, or what a "couple of ounces" really is.. Flipping the safety rocked he run, and his finger was on the trigger and amazingly he had a AD..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Surprises me too. Actually dogcatcher's story is the only one I've heard about with the X-Mark trigger and I seem to recall he's had some bad luck with lots of stuff.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by Calvin
So the guy is bitching because he can't keep his finger on the trigger while flipping it from safe to fire?!

Unbelievable..

I concur..... kind of on the fence though about valid concern vs not. The trigger probably shouldn't do that but you shouldn't be riding it and flipping the safety at the same time. Proper gun handling techniques and this issue would have never been an issue.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
If a guy is truly concerned about safety, (like me) then he should never even use a "Safety" and hunt with an empty chamber.. Only chamber a round when ready to kill.. Or shoot a target.

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Send it to Swampman700, he'll fix it for you!

Otherwise, I'm thinking it's time for a Timney.

Chris

L
L
When you adjust the pro-mark x you shouldn't go down below 2-1/2- 3 pounds with out adjusting the sear engagement. I have worked on at least a hundred of these triggers and you can't get below 2 pounds without a spring change without accidental discharge. There is nothing wrong with the triggers you just need to do your home work before you go adjusting screws.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

they can its called a CZ or tikka or savage accutrigger, trigger

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

What I meant was every major firearms manufacturer does not have a problem creating a relatively safe trigger except Remington.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

What I meant was every major firearms manufacturer does not have a problem creating a relatively safe trigger except Remington.

This has nothing to do with "safe trigger".. It has everything to do with a "safe hunter" and a "safe trigger job".

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 10ring1, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,605 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,074
Posts18,501,513
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.