Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Our group of seven spent the last weekend hunting small game in the Finnish Lakeland region.

( I've had to do some creative editing due to some participants being camera shy -- sorry about that )

The campsite was an old forest road completely covered by undergrowth. As we anticipate a part II in 2010, we went into Big Job Mode (tm) and made some room for a couple of Jeeps and our Finnish military model tent.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This was on private land and the spot had to be cleared anyway so we got rid of the cut twigs by making a modest campfire.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm294/ruistola/Hunting%202009/8.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm294/ruistola/Hunting%202009/7.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm294/ruistola/Hunting%202009/10.jpg[/img]

GB1

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
By 6 am we went hunting and while returning empty handed, found a couple a good spots for further attempts.

I cooked a nutritious breakfast ( lots of bacon and eggs, coffee with whole milk ) and away we went again.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

After returning to camp, my hunting buddy and I decided we weren't to be cooked for another night in the tent ( some of the guys insisted on heating the stove regardless of temperature constantly being over 40 *F outside ) so we moved our stuff into the old hay barn nearby. We did eventually talk others out of heating the stove and moved back, but I must say it was a nice place for a midday nap.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We had a couple of hours of siesta and a shooting clinic, my .22LR CZ 453 Varmint being pictured here, on a Stoney Point Polecat tripod.

[Linked Image]

Come late afternoon we packed our gear and headed for the spots we found earlier. A friend of mine shot this very nice black grouse and yes, that's a shotgun.

[img]http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm294/ruistola/Hunting%202009/16.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm294/ruistola/Hunting%202009/17.jpg[/img]

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
We have the luxury of night hunting here in Finland so we set up a spot at a small nearby lake, waiting for waterfowl to come in for the night. I heard a couple of pass-overs in the darkness but no opportunity presented itself so we headed for the camp. Suddenly a male black grouse jumped right next to us and I shot him. He fell into the total darkness some fifty yards from us but the dog found him quickly. I never leave home to go grouse hunting without one of our dogs.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Time to cook the birds, have a beer and relax. Nothing beats fresh grouse with some salt, some pepper, and a lot of butter on a hot pan.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
The last morning we started early, had a lot of contacts but unfortunately all birds flushed from afar without giving us an opportunity to shoot. I didn't mind, having already harvested one great-tasting bird I figured I was already on the winning team.

By noon we were doing some shooting by the campsite, hence the goggles.

[Linked Image]

Packed up and headed for forest. Here's a pal hauling AR-10T. Props to him, that thing weighs a ton. I couldn't be bothered with carrying the rifle ( in a J104 ) anymore as there was no expectation of birds being in the treetops in the afternoon.

[Linked Image]

Walked around the small lake twice, got a rowing boat ride and had a breather to enjoy the scenery and company.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Two full days, two birds. Decided to share some pictures of a fairly typical Finnish bird hunting trip. Enjoy.

Last edited by ruistola; 09/30/09.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You have damn good hunting trip habits.

Thanks for sharing.

Va t'in tch�re !
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
So what kind of guns do you use in Finland? I see parts of a rifle that looks like a Winchester 100 semi auto.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I think I've written about it somewhere in the campfire -- mostly Sakos and Tikkas due to availability, especially in the 2nd hand market. But there's the usual assortment of Remingtons, Savages, Weatherbys etc. , just in less numbers.

This trip, as I recall, we had:

- A .308Win Winchester 88
- A couple of 12ga Saiga (Izmash) shotguns
- My 12/70 SxS Monte Carlo shotgun
- My 30-06 Sako TRG-S
- My .22LR CZ 453 Varmint
- A .308Win AR-10(T)
- Some O&U shotgun I don't know the make of
- Something that looked like a "semi-auto & pump" shotgun
- some black powder stuff not used for hunting

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
How did a Winchester 88 end up in Finland? I lived in Germany for 3 years and wanted to visit Finland but never got around to it. Always interested in the place after reading about the Winter War. The Finns really stuck it to the Russians but couldn't overcome the Red Horde.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Independence since 1917 is still a pretty good accomplishment -- considering our location smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great series -- thanks. Looks like great fun and good companions.

Someday I'd like to come to Sweden, Norway and Finland...at least I have a Husqvarna rifle... smile.

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice looking dog if I might add. I shoot a couple of Sako's myself. One 6.5 x 55 and the other a 338 in a 75. Looks like a place I would not mind a bit to go on a little bit of a walk about.One of these days I am going to have to come and shoot a moose.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very interesting. Awesome pics.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Always liked Finnish-designed cutlery and hunting guns; still have a couple of Sammi-style hunting knives, two Valmet O/U shotguns and a Valmet O/U combination 12/.308. Does
Valmet still make sporting guns? (All I've seen recently from them is MONSTER mining equipment....).

Many thanks for sharing your hunt with us!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I should also add that I've had a ride in a Valmet-produced, French-designed "Magister" jet trainer now owned by a private individual in the US. A very neat little plane widely used as a strike aircraft by various nations (including Israel) back in the day. The one I rode in had the Browning .50s deleted, and no rocket pods, tho......

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Glad you guys like the pics.

Mike, all Valmet gun manufacturing has been under Sako flag since the '80s. There's been lots of merging throughout the years, resulting in Sako containing both Valmet and Tikka; There are a couple of small guns manufacturers like Pirkan Ase and a few individual custom riflemakers like Jyri Jalonen and Jouko Kinnunen but they manufacture a couple of dozen rifles a year, tops.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
ruistola, thanks for the info and the links--unforunately my Finnish is weak....no, scratch that, nonexistent. One of those Ase rifles looks like a straight pull action possibly meant for Olympic "Running Boar" competition, or possibly Biathlon, a Finnish specialty that I'm familiar with because one of my hunting buddies was once a US Biathlon Olympic coach.

Many US-made hunting knives are highly influenced by Finnish traditional designs, by the way--I often carry an old Case "Finn 5," a design they still make.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
The only 7mm Mag I ever liked was a Husky - and the bastid wouldn't sell it to me...

I really wanted that rifle....

Last edited by las; 10/16/09.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (10gaugeman, 17Fan, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,319
Posts18,487,362
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.