Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I'm planning a mule deer/antelope hunt for next year in Montana and was wondering if a BLR in 270WSM would be accurate enough for shots out to 400 yards?

Thanks in advance

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
That's going to vary gun to gun so it's hard to say.

Factory BLR triggers are among the most horrible triggers I've ever encountered. I find it difficult to determine what kind of accuracy the gun is capable of when fighting such a nasty trigger.

That said, from a bench, with good optics, some BLRs will shoot well under MOA. Others ... not so good at all.

I know Neil Jones has done some BLR triggers, whether he still does or not, I'm not sure, nor do I know what he's charging for that work. His web site is http://www.neiljones.com/ ... you can use that to contact him. He's done some really nice work on (Remington, only, so far) triggers for me.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Tom,

I know what you mean about the trigger/shooting from a bench. My BLR in 308 will shoot MOA at 100yds but that's as far as its been shot.

I've yet to shoot the 270WSM but I assume it'll do fine out to 100yds. It's way out there that I wonder how it OR any BLR might do.

Down here in South Florida there is no place to shoot (legally) beyond 100yds. So I'nm looking for first hand experience with long range shots.

Thanks, Omar

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If your rifle will group good at 100 yds, it'll do fine at 300 , but just because the rifle is capable doesn't mean the shooter is.
Your 308 will shoot fine to 3 and 400 yds if you're capable.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I think most BLRs are nearly as accurate as most bolt actions.. close enough any way. One issue is that if you pick up a remington/winchester/ruger bolt gun and its a 3 moa gun.. there are bunch of pretty well known steps that will tighten up that 3 MOA in most cases (trigger,free float, bed). Working the BLR trigger isn't as easy as the bolt guns and as for other accurizing steps there not so obvious.

Don't get me wrong I really like my BLR, but if I got one that wouldn't shoot Id likely trade it rather than spend too much time trouble shooting it.

Last edited by noKnees; 10/01/09.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Thnaks all for your input. I should be getting out to the range in the next couple of weeks with the 270wsm.

B
B
I have a BLR in 308. The longest shot I have practiced is 265 yards. My rifle is more than adiquate at this distance but I dont think with the trigger I would try it in the field. I think it is a good idea to get a trigger job before trying any long rsnge shooting. I have had my gun at every gun smith in my area and they look at is and say it cant be done. The suggestion about Neal Jones is a good one. It will save you a lot of time and heartache. Mine has been at the smiths for 2 months and I got a phone call saying he decided he cant do it. I have talked to Neil Jones and looked at his rep on the net, Mine will be going to him soon if he can finnish it by late Nov.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12savage, 10ring1, 60 invisible), 2,198 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,914
Posts18,479,587
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.