Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Outcast Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by docbill
Wolfe Publishing has a CD of Gibbs info. and Quick Load lists it on its cartridge list. Z-Hat has a reamer available and dimensions on the 4D web site. Case volume is 71.5 +/- grains of water.
Performance should be equal to .300 WSM +/- if loaded to equal pressures especially if it is loaded to a "long" length. It should just about equal a factory .300 H&H.

doc..,

Thanks for the info. I'll pass it along.

O

Too old to suffer fools
GB1

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I don't know, a 30 Gibbs might be kind of fun.

But there are a lot easier ways to make brass than the old oil shower method.

Personally, I would run an 8mm tapered expander button through a new 06 case and then neck it down for a crush fit in the Gibbs chamber.

It would then fireform as easily as any other improved case.

Wolfe's "Wildcat cartridges Vol II page 803: Roger Stowers gives reloading data for many bullets with various powders. I would consider his load data as highly optimistic until I worked it up with pressure trace equipment.

For instance he quotes:

3261 fps with a 150 and 59 gr IMR4320
3129 fps with a 165 and 63 H450
3070 fps with a 180 and 66 gr of IMR4831
2871 fps with a 200 and 64 gr of H4831 or 61 gr IMR4350
2688 fps with a 220 and 63 gr of H4831

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
About 30 years or so ago I had a switch barrel rifle made on a Remington action with barrels in 280 & 7MM Gibbs. After all the fire forming I did get just over 100FPS with the Gibbs & despite shooting some mulies & lopes could see no real difference between the 280. I haven't installed the 7MM Gibbs barrel in over 20 years but was recently given several boxes of new formed & stamped brass. I may decide to load some up just for the fun of it. The switch barrel rifle concept & improved cartridges turned out to be just another PITA to my way of thinking.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Bob Hagel did a piece on the cartridge in Handloader or Rifle many years back . If I recall right , he used a M-70 re-chambered by Rocky Gibbs , and the best that particular rifle did was 2800-2850 fps with 180 gr.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Quick Load, yes I know it is a shacky piece of software, gives the case capacity of a 30-06 at 68 grains and with a 3.45 OAL 62 gr. of powder capacity. The Gibbs, using the same criteria, has 72 and 65.4 respectively. That is a 3.5 gr. burn capacity +/- difference. By my math that is about 5.5% of useable or total capacity increase with a 3.45 in. OAl. Real results should be about 100-125 fps. +/- assuming you load all to the same pressure level.

My presumption on the old data is that the hand loaders pushed up to 65 K (or more) and the factory loads were at 50K so you were comparing apples and grapefruit and selling the grapefruit.

Remember YMMV.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Extra velocity does not follow extra capacity. Instead it is 1/4 of case capacity with both cases loaded to the same pressure.

If the increase is 5.5% of powder capacity, then the increase in velocit would be 1.375%. If we assume the regular .30-06 can get 2800 with a 180 (and it can, easily, from a a 24" barrel) then the Gibbs would be capable of a gain of 38.5 fps-again, at the same pressure.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Trawling in the depths of my memory I seem to recall J.O'C writing one time that he had some dealings with Gibbs. Apparently Gibbs would not let J.O'C into the room where he was chronographing some of his loads. There was a window into the room where the chronying was being done and O'Connor claimed he could see the ejector marks on the case heads shining like a headlight, or words to that effect.

In other words, anything Gibbs claimed may have been true but likely at pressure levels that were far from sane. If venturing into this territory is your bag then be my guest. To my way of thinking you should just be moving up to a factory case of larger capacity where there is proven data available. Of course, some people like to just live on the edge!

Jim

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by atkinson
I think it was 1956 or 57, I got the Gibbs craze as all the gunworld was dancing in the streets over his new revelation...

I bought a set of "Hydralic case forming dies from Gibbs" another revelation of the highest order...You filled those puppys with 30 wt. oil and hit the plunger with a hammer and viola you had a Gibbs case, or at least that was the plan..In reality you squirted oil all over the shop, all over yourself and your clothes, the oil soaked kids screamed and ran yelling to mama, daddys gone nuts, and the windows blew out and cuss words echoed into the surrounding canyons of the ranch house...and the case was still a standard 30-06 case except it was full of oil! smile smile

Shortly thereafter and three soakings in gasoline and other oil cutting products, and several baths, and a couple of showers for me and the kids, a clean me dumped those old Gibbs rifles along with my expensive case forming dies and reloading dies, on some other poor soul and I ended up with his old pre 64 300 H&H, an outdated old gun that had seen its best days or so I was told. I still have that 300 H&H and its probably the last gun I will ever part with..:) smile smile It still shoots 1/2 inch groups with most loads, all loads to the same POI, and it will push a 200 gr. Nosler at an easy 3000 FPS, and can only be bested by the 300Wby and a couple of those new big 30s that go bang too loud, kick the bejesus out of you and they only beat my H&H by 100 FPS..

Now that is funny. I'd buy the book.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by riverdog
Originally Posted by atkinson
I think it was 1956 or 57, I got the Gibbs craze as all the gunworld was dancing in the streets over his new revelation...

I bought a set of "Hydralic case forming dies from Gibbs" another revelation of the highest order...You filled those puppys with 30 wt. oil and hit the plunger with a hammer and viola you had a Gibbs case, or at least that was the plan..In reality you squirted oil all over the shop, all over yourself and your clothes, the oil soaked kids screamed and ran yelling to mama, daddys gone nuts, and the windows blew out and cuss words echoed into the surrounding canyons of the ranch house...and the case was still a standard 30-06 case except it was full of oil! smile smile

Shortly thereafter and three soakings in gasoline and other oil cutting products, and several baths, and a couple of showers for me and the kids, a clean me dumped those old Gibbs rifles along with my expensive case forming dies and reloading dies, on some other poor soul and I ended up with his old pre 64 300 H&H, an outdated old gun that had seen its best days or so I was told. I still have that 300 H&H and its probably the last gun I will ever part with..:) smile smile It still shoots 1/2 inch groups with most loads, all loads to the same POI, and it will push a 200 gr. Nosler at an easy 3000 FPS, and can only be bested by the 300Wby and a couple of those new big 30s that go bang too loud, kick the bejesus out of you and they only beat my H&H by 100 FPS..

Now that is funny. I'd buy the book.

Ray, that's a HOOT! Long live the H&H! grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Yeah, Ray you could gather up the threads you have commented on here and on AR and start the book from there. It would be a good one too!...jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Ruger #1 in said chambering - 25.5" bbl (cut and recrowned the 26" factory bbl.)

10% case capacity increase to BASE OF NECK over the parent case. Note that the shoulder and base of neck are moved forward. The #1 has a long throat. It was a rechamber of a boring old '06 and my first foray into wildcatting.

2,950 with 180 gr and 2,750 with 200 grain bullets - Over an Oehler 35.

Use 30-06 AI data and work up from there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The .30 Wha..................?

Oh.

Yes, cases are a pain to form.
Casual perusal shows .300 SUAM case capacity to be very similar.

In earlier times the Gibbs gave guys with a lot of GI brass a rifle that could get an 180 grain bullet to 2900+ and hold 5 cartridges in the magazine. I have had 180 gr. Hornady's
do 3000 FPS with good case life.

Does this do any better than the .30/06 with modern
bullets & powders? Not really. 100-150 FPS does not do much
over normal hunting ranges.

I feel Hagel's article did not do the Gibbs any justice. A friend of his had a post 64 M70 with 22" barrel that had been shot a lot. In the article Hagel said barrel length was 24", but pictures showed that it was the short barrel.
Friend lost confidence in the rifle after the article......... I think that he posts here sometimes (TW).

Today I still see people trying the Gibbs concept.

I have loaded .240 & .25 Gibbs rounds for youger guys recently. Usually rifles get rebarreled to standard cases after the novelty wears off and the barrel wears out.

I bought my pre-64 .30 Gibbs from a guy that was out of work.

I have killed one medium bull elk and a few pigs with it.

I have the feeling thst it will soon turn into a .25/06 for my 14 year old son!

Best cases for forming are arsenal brass. I use LC National Match 69. Newer commercial brass yields higher case loss in the shoulder area. Neck case up to .338, then size in a Gibbs sizing die for a crush fit. Fireform with 50 gr.4895 and a 168 - 180 gr. bullet.

As always, YMMV

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The 30 Gibbs was a follow-up to his first cartridge which was the 270. Tales of 3000fps with 180's were mostly just tales but I don't doubt Gibbs did achieve that velocity in at least one rifle. His belief was that any load which did not destroy the brass was a good load. In other words, he felt the weak link was the brass case. He found one lot of GI brass which was very strong and which would handle higher pressures without loosening the primer pockets and it was with this brass that he achieved his best performance figures. I suspect the standard 30/06, loaded to the same pressures in the same brass, would have reached close to 2900 with 180's.
I have, on several occasions, improved 30 Gibbs rifles at the request of their owners. This improvement consisted of rechambering to 300 Win Mag or, in some cases, to 30-338 (required setting back) or 308 Norma (ditto). In all cases the owners reported they were now getting the velocity they had been led to believe they would get with the Gibbs.
The first time I was in Gibbs' shop, I was 14 years old and was just in awe. I mean, here I was in a shop where a guy actually MADE custom rifles. In addition, I knew his name not just because he made my grandpa's rifle but his cartridges were shown in my PO Ackley handbook. Pretty exciting stuff!
I'm not a fan of wildcats in general; factory cartridges will do whatever we need. If one has a real need to spend some time fireforming and stays away from the chronograph, the 30 Gibbs will be a good fit for him. GD

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by greydog
He found one lot of GI brass which was very strong and which would handle higher pressures without loosening the primer pockets and it was with this brass that he achieved his best performance figures.

I vaguely remember this was DEN 43. Could somebody with access to the Gibbs literature confirm or correct this? Thanks.

--Bob

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Great post, Ray!

Write that book, I will put my order in as well!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I vaguely remember this was DEN 43. Could somebody with access to the Gibbs literature confirm or correct this? Thanks.

--Bob [/quote]

YEP!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 30Gibbs
YEP!
Thank you!

(If I am able to recall factoids like DEN43 is the strongest brass Rocky Gibbs found for forming his cartridges, then why am I not able to remember where I put my key ring last night?)

--Bob

O
Outcast Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
hummm. too many years? too much old Stump Blower? my wife doesn't know where she sat last. Just happens,i guess.

O

Too old to suffer fools
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I loaded my 180 grain Nosler partitions today with 61 grains of
IMR 4831 in Federal fire formed cases and Winchester large rifle
primers. Chrony said that the first shot was 2902 FPS. Velocity ranged from
2858 to 2902, most shots in the 2875 area.

I also loaded some "condor loads" with 150 grain E-tip and 51 grains of
IMR 4320 for 2850 FPS. This is a LONG bullet. Accuracy was ok.
I will use this load on the California coast so that no condors are poisoned :-)

I have used 63 grains of IMR 4831 and Hornady spire points for 2965 FPS
and 62 grains of RE22 and the 165 Nosler partition in prior years.

The 61/IMR 4831 180 Nosler is a very accurate and mild kicking load.
These loads worked well in my rifle. Your friend needs to work up to them
in his rifle!

I will take these to Colorado in November for elk.

Sighted in 2+" high at 100 the 400 yard drop was 15".

Would I make a .30 Gibbs? No.

My rifle was re-chambered when purchased.

And once this barrel is gone the pre-64 action will become a .25/06.

In the mean time be I will be able to send a 180 grain bullet at 2900 FPS at sane pressure and good case life.

Last edited by 30Gibbs; 10/20/09.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This has been a very interesting and informative post. Thanks to all who have contributed. I would also like to register a vote for Ray to write a book. (Perhaps there is some way that we could start a movement to force him to do so. :)) His description of oil-forming the Gibbs cases sounds an awful lot like what happened to me when I got one of those handy-dandy mail-order kits to reload your own ink cartridges for the computer printer. One further point on rechambering to Gibbs - I think that I remember reading that there are a lot of folks who rechamber to a "Gibbs" that isn't a true Gibbs chamber. Best to all, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

750 members (16gage, 160user, 16Racing, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 71 invisible), 2,567 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,842
Posts18,478,210
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.