-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm looking to buy either a Beretta 686 Onyx or a Browning Citori field grade. Both are 20ga with 26" barrels. I've handled both yet still can't decide but I'm leaning towards the Beretta. Opinions wanted on both good, bad, or indifferent!

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have an older Beretta 20 (30-year old BL-4) and love it. Never owned a Browning, but from what I here both are very good O/Us that you will not live to wear out unless you're a target shooter (which you are not or you wouldn't be looking at this gun). If both feel equally good, buy the one that's a dollar cheaper. I'd be very surprised if either gun disappoints.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I looked at both and a few others including the Franchi. I bought the Browning for my wife. I found a lightweight with matte stock. We both liked the finish, weight and balance. The Franchi was very light and felt good, but was not finished as nicely.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon and a Browning Citori field grade, both in 20 ga. I actually prefer the Browning, seems to fit me better. Either one would be a good choice in my opinion.

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one".....Luke 22:36
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
With these 2 it comes down to fit. Browning is my first choice - they take a ton of abuse as far as # of rounds down the tube. Lots of aftermarket support. Truely a best buy. FOR ME!

Me

IC B2

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Go the Beretta, I have a friend with the model you are talking about and its a suberb shotgun, fast pointing, great balance and reliable, I agree that both are fine choices and fit plays a large part but if the Beretta fits, it will not disapoint in the field

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
XV,
I have both and have had several others.....all things being equal, I would take the Beretta over the Browning.....primarily because of the action depth of the Beretta being less allowing better alignment of the hands....a thinner forearm also contributes. I haven't studied the latest Brownings but I belive they are moving the hinge pins to the side rather than bottom in order to reduce action height. ....But the most important consideration is FIT....which one fits you....

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
All great posts guys and I appreciate the info. Keep it coming!

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You asked for it. More data, probably no help. Wife and I both shoot Browning Citori Trap models for most clay shooting and Beretta 686E's for hunting. The Citori Trap's are specialty rigs and are naturally heavy. The Beretta's are light and quick handling.

We even use the Beretta's for goose shooting using 3" loads. The wife's just barely over 110# and has never complained about the gun beating her up. The miracle of adrenalin I suppose. And, maybe , stock design.

Good luck on your choice. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's probably a toss up as far as reliability, both will shoot thousands if not 10's of thousand field or clays loads. Get one that fits and enjoy. I prefer Beretta, because they are made by people that actually shoot guns once in a while.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've had a 20 gauge Citori for about 15 years and been very pleased with it. Have used Berettas as well for sporting clays and in 28 for quail. You can't go wrong with either--get the one that fits and runs your motor.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I very much appreciate the responses fellas! I just sent the money for the Berreta today. Hopefully it will get here before the dove opener September 1st.

You O/U guys please see my next question titled, "Ported choke tubes".

X-VERMINATOR

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12savage, 60 invisible), 2,672 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,315
Posts18,505,704
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.