Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3359631 10/05/09
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've talked a few guys running uppers chambered in various wssm calibers, is anyone here using one, or has used one?

I'm curious to see how you like them, my brother was asking me about them and I didn't find a whole lot online, and they don't seem very common although there is at least one or two commercial manufacturers of them.

are they good uppers, or would a custom build be the way to go?

also any recommendations for barrel length, caliber etc.
he wants a rifle that will be great for deer/antelope and a backup for elk if need be.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
GB1

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I know several who are using the wssm uppers with good results. My cousin runs a 223wssm at speeds that boggle the mind while maintaing accuracy. But it seems the most loved is the 25wssm with the 243wssm close behind.

Contact Mike at Dedicated Technologies, he has built more than anyone else I know of. He could help more than anyone I think. He also goes by dtech here and on other forums.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
thanks, I think he was thinking of the 25 wssm so that would work, I'll pass along the information

does anyone know about what one of these would cost?

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I have a 243 WSSM I bought off of Mike a few years ago. At that time he was only using Oly SUM barrels but now is also using Shilen's which would have been my preference, I believe.

Back then my upper was just a smidge over a grand. I spec'd most of his options such as fluting, muzzle break, Hogue overmolded handguard and an additonal mag. My barrel is 22".

My gun shoots pretty good generally and darn good with 55 grain factory stuff at 4100+ into sub .5 moa.

My handloads have also turned in a few .5" groups with both 85 and 100 grain bullets, but just not as consistently as I would like. That could be my loading technique or lack thereof with wssm's and AR's. Of course I KNOW it's not my shooting techinque. wink

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
lol of course not the technique! its never that smile at least for me ( I wish)

how hard is it to come by a WSSM upper used?
I've looked on gunbroker but nothing doing there

IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I dunno. I never looked for one, but would think about anything would show up on GB or a similar site. You would just need to look every couple days or so. You might give Mike a call and ask if he knows of anyone who has one of his that needs to sell it. Beat enough bushes and something is bound to turn up.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Ost Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have a 25 WSSM from DTECH and love it. Damn thing just shoots.

I hate escalators. I slipped and fell down the steps for an hour and a half.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Ost
I have a 25 WSSM from DTECH and love it. Damn thing just shoots.

Well, what else do you expect it to do? Make coffee?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Only decaf. If it does that its a done deal.

1000 for an upper sounds high, but I don't get all the bling stuff on them generally so fluting and a break etc actually sounds like a decent price.

I know his work is good. My smith is top of his game and suggests Mike to me for WSSM issues.

I'd take the shilen any day over the SUM. I have not been overly impressed with the SUM barrels I've had over the years.

I know another shooter that buys em for practice barrels and he is a top shooter, tells me they are ok but nothing special at all.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
so how much do you want for it? laugh

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Mike used to have pricing at his website. Google Dtech super store and you should find him. The last time I looked at a wssm upper, it seemed to be around $750. He seems to be in-line with Oly on his stuff and a little cheaper. You can buy wssm uppers from Oly, but I would go Dtech first.
I like my dtech 223.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

486 members (264mag, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 47 invisible), 17,285 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,930
Posts18,539,130
Members74,051
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.