Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I read several posts recently wherein hunters who downed game did not gut the animals when they dressed them. I have never encountered that before and and curious as to how it is done. How many of you guys do that?

Kevin Haile
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That's the way we do all the hogs we shoot. I've also done it on moose and elk worked great. Just skin off the quarters remove them, we have cotton meat sacks to put them in, bone out the backstraps, and by the time you get all the quarter off and the backstraps off you can get to the tenderloins pretty easily.

The older I get the better I was.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I did it on my last large hog, split the skin down the back and take it off enough to get the back straps, quarters, and neck meat. It was quicker and much cleaner than gutting, then quartering. Now that I've learned to make bacon it will be trickier on the next one, trying to get the belly without losing the guts.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When dealing with moose the idea of hauling guts out makes no sense at all... First cut is right up the back and the top side legs are removed very cleanly. Then the backstrap, neck and t-loin come off that side. Ribs can be cut off also, or left to the end.

Then flop the hide back up onto the body and roll onto the other side. Repeat the meat removal and grab whatever guts you are keeping and cut off the rib cage(s). Quick, easy and very clean...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Done it quite a few times with elk. It would be the only way to do a moose IMO.

RH

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
we do it with deer that have been hit by vehichles.Normaly only one side is any good any way

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Started doing it a number of years ago. Now, due largely I think to CWD in the deer and elk, the Colorado DOW recommends it as it minimizes contact with blood and bone marrow.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I like to open them about 6" to a foot when I take off the first Hind Quarter. Gives me a little more room when I remove the first HQ. But no moose this year so no problem!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If it's a big animal like elk or bear and there is any packing to do I'll always go gutless. Remember if you're saving the hide to remove the hide from the belly without cutting into the gut cavity. I pack the alaskan quarter bags with me there lite and compact. It's not a bad idea to have five or six quarter bags to include the backstraps, tenderlions and all the hamburger grid.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have been doing it for about 8 yrs. Sure a lot easier and no stepping around in all the blood and guts.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I dressed three deer like this last year, quartered on the ground without gutting. It was a first for me and it worked great.

Deer on side-cut skin along spine from neck to tail
Skin top side down to knees and as close to the ground as you can
Cut quarters off and bag them
Cut out backstrap and any neck and grinder meat you want
Flip deer over and repeat

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Alaska's moose and goose folks demand that non resident hunters watch a video on that method. I use it if one is heading right out with his goods. If I still have an extended stay ahead, I will leave bone in to minimize surface exposure. In that instance a moose is broken into 5 or 6 pieces.

Sitka:
Then the backstrap, neck and t-loin come off that side.
I believe one must burrow inside to harvest the tenderloins. I save that task for last.

Last edited by 1minute; 10/06/09.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I take them ASAP because of the possibility of getting gut juices on them. I have done dozens of moose, caribou, deer, bison and such and it is the only way to go...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
When dealing with moose the idea of hauling guts out makes no sense at all...

It's like heading and gutting a salmon before filleting.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Filleting the salmon with the guts in is so much easier.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yup. That was my point! smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We've done it on moose. We also use a chainsaw to cut down the backbone & the sternum.
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I did that to a bear hanging in the shop once. Put a sheet of plywood behind to catch the bonedust. The shop stunk for way to long could get the smell out for ever. If I every try the chainsaw again it'll be outsided for sure.

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
We field dress everything we shoot. We take deer out whole, so I see no point in dragging the extra weight. I also want the carcass to cool as quickly as possible.

Chris

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Though it interests me, I have never done it. The retroparietal cavity separates the viscera from the kidneis and tenderloin, so judicious use of knife should separate the tenderloins without contamination. This of course hinges on shot placement not causing compartment failure.
Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (219DW, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 160user, 1badf350, 50 invisible), 17,573 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,935
Posts18,539,219
Members74,051
Most Online20,796
04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.