Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3368742 10/08/09
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello,

After an interminable wait of about three weeks or a month for my Savage Mk II BTVS left hand in .22LR to come in, I checked today at the store and it was there! Just got in last night, and he held off on calling me knowing that I work 12 hour shifts on thirds. Figured I'd be back.

First, the bad: It looks like it was cranked out quickly, which I expected this time of year. Tool marks are evident on the bolt when I pull it out, but the bolt does glide. The biggest grip is that the free-floated barrel was not free-floating, but rather contacting the left side of the channel a bit. I corrected this with a dowl rod and sand paper, but it's still irritating.

Now, the good:

The trigger is light and crisp. It's adjusted to its lowest setting, a hair over 2lbs. This makes the 1911 lover in me happy! It's accurate as all get out, and will make for a terrific competition and hunting rifle. I've never owned a lefty bolt gun before, and though it's taking some getting used to (I keep reaching over to work the action) it's much faster and more natural than anything I've owned previously as well.

Here are the pictures:

[Linked Image]
Left side. Yes, that's a huge Barska 'scope on there. I've dished out a couple grand for gun stuff recently, and this is what I had money for.

I do plan to get better glass in the future. The Barska is OK but a bit dark. I'm open to suggestions - the features I prefer are an adjustable parallax from 25 yards minimum. My four power 'scope actually goes down to 5 yards. I do prefer the variable power as well. It's just more versatile and doesn't fall apart like the old ones. I like 1/8th MOA clicks, but will live with 1/4. I would also like a lighted reticule. I had no use for these things until I started getting raided by raccoons. The lighted reticule really helped zero in on the eye shine and drop them DRT. Suggestions are welcome! I'd like to stay under $300 if possible.

[Linked Image]
A close-up of the action...

[Linked Image]
The right side of the rifle sports a raised cheek pad. I can honestly say this is the first time I've experienced a raised cheek pad, and am trying to decide whether I like it!

[Linked Image]
I discovered that the stock matches my huntin' dog nicely! She didn't know what to make of it; she's at home with my other guns, but this one is new and must smell funny or something.

Overall, I'd give this a 7/10 only because of the couple places it exhibits shoddy workmanship. It would have a 10/10 if I hadn't had to work on the stock and if the tool marks were not present.

I only got to send maybe 25 rounds downrange before it got too dark to shoot, and will finish sighting it in today. I have hollowpoint and flat point Blazer ready to go, and it looks like this rifle likes that ammo well enough.

Josh <><

GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Nice gun. Lefty, hmmmmm. Wonder if my local guy has any.

If that was my dog/gun combo on the sofa and somebody knocked on the door, that gun would fly like a boomerang!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Veddy Nice!!! I shot one just last night and there very accurate. Might want to look at Mueller for cheap glass, I run one on custom 10/22 with turrets and its been great.

Let us know how well and what it likes to shoot.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do they make their standard 22's in LH? We discovered my wife shoots left handed last week-end!! I've lost a Mk II and 10/22 in the process wink A LH bolt action may be a nice treat for her ... a LW sporterish lr

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello,

This is how it shot:

[Linked Image]
1.68" at 100yds, Winchester bulk pack

It took forever to dial this thing in - partially because of the 'scope not cooperating, and partially because of my lack of familiarity with this rifle.

I found that if I dial it in at 35yds or so, 40 clicks upward will give me perfect elevation for 100yds. I was holding against wind, 5mph steady, gusting to 15. Still managed four into one hole and five more within one inch. Just that danged flier - and I knew it when I did it. But it looks like I have a rifle capable of 100yd MOA shooting with bulk ammo!

Even better, the lube used for CCI Blazers seems to be compatible with whatever they use on the Winchesters, and POI at 35yds for the standard velocity Winchesters gives just a tad over with CCI Blazer hollowpoints at 50yds, so no re-dialing for this ammo change.

My only gripe so far with the optics is that, when dialing it back down, it shoots "off" for a magazine or two - upper right. The return is weak or something; not sure what causes it.

The Nikon Buckmaster side focus has been suggested; what do you think of that one?

Thanks,

Josh <><

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm really liking this scope:

[Linked Image]

Leupold 58710 VX II 3-9x33mm

It's a bit above what I want to spend, but it shore looks purty!

Josh <><

T
T
I use Nikon Monarch glass on my rimfires, but the minimum parallax adjustment is 50 yards. It works well enough down to 40 but shooting 25 isn't pleasant. The BDC reticle is nice, though, since I can adjust for drop at known distances on the fly. A bit spendier than a Buckmaster, about the same price to slightly more than that Leupold, and better than both. smile Only problem with the Monarch is the stiff zoom ring, but I usually keep it at a setting for a while. Otherwise, it's a nice piece of glass.

But it's likely out of the price range you're looking for. I don't have extensive enough experience with much lower end stuff - when I get some cash, though, it won't be in my pocket for very long as it'll go towards some cheaper glass for a couple of the dozen new rifles I am soon to get smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Joshua ... that is a dandy scope. When I ordered mine a few months ago (From Rick of course) there was a two month wait for them ... good Luck!

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (338Rules, 300_savage, 308xray, 7mm_Loco, 11 invisible), 17,086 guests, and 895 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,880
Posts18,538,173
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.