Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3327583 09/23/09
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Not a big AR guy myself but saw this on Ruger's website.

"The coolest .22 ever..."

http://www.ruger.com/SR22/index.html

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bet my boys will want one, but with two 10/22's, I can't see getting a 3rd in wanna be AR garb.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Now that has to be one of the smartest marketing moves by a gun manufacturer in a long time.

I'll bet they'll sell like hotcakes, though I can't see myself buying one.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would go with a dedicated upper for my AR instead of a dressed up 10/22

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I see 22LR AR15's as great training tools, whether they be complete 22LR AR15's, uppers, or drop in bolt conversions. They all work off the same manual of arms. IMHO, the Ruger 10/22 encased in an aluminum Nordic Components body that appears to look like an AR is lacking as a training tool due to differences in the safety, mag release, and charging handle. As a plinker, the only thing that I see is different about it is looks and what accessories one can put on it.

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I would have to agree with Hound va on his statement. Other then asthetics its just another 10/22. A sheep in wolfs clothing if you will. But every kid on the block will want one, just for the cool factor. For the 10/22 fans out there this means hopefully the possibility of a factory high capacity magazine.

dagunnut

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
dang, if they could add a Surefire light, a LaRue sight and a Magpul stock, they could up the price by $800, and sell millions of 'em. laugh

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hound_va
I see 22LR AR15's as great training tools, whether they be complete 22LR AR15's, uppers, or drop in bolt conversions. They all work off the same manual of arms. IMHO, the Ruger 10/22 encased in an aluminum Nordic Components body that appears to look like an AR is lacking as a training tool due to differences in the safety, mag release, and charging handle. As a plinker, the only thing that I see is different about it is looks and what accessories one can put on it.

Not sure about the complete rifle (iirc from seeing them at gunshows the Colt/Walther has a lighter feel to all operations and the safety would work out to the auto position on a centerfire variant) or upper only conversions, but the drop in bolt conversions don't work off the same manual of arms with the only thing really staying the same being the trigger.

FM 23-9 "Caliber .22 Rimfire Adapter, M261

Disadvantages. Some negative training aspects exist because of differences in the weapon's functioning when using the RFA. These differences include the forward assist not working, and the bolt not locking to the rear after the last round is fired. More malfunctions can occur with the RFA then with 5.56-mm ammunition, and immediate-action procedures are different."

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The M261 isn't the only drop in bolt conversion in existance;) The JA Cenier bolt with Black Dog Machine mags does indeed lock the bolt to the rear upon firing the last shot. The M261 was the basis but has been improved upon immensely. The FA is rarely used anyway as sports is becoming obsolete to get the rifle back up and running. You just have to keep the RF adapters clean, lubed, and use decent ammo to keep them from malfunctioning. While not perfect, the other alternative is 5.56 in an AR which isn't necessarily the best method for teaching new folks mostly due to muzzle blast and cost. The manual of arms is as close as one can possibly get when compared to a aluminum clad 10-22. Any other training aids other than the bolt conversion, complete rifle or upper that you're aware of? If there's a better garanimal out there, I'd certainly like to provide it for students to use.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah I am sitting here with a Ceiner kit and a Black Dog skinny mag. The bolt hold open doesn't come close to touching the Ceiner bolt and neither the Black Dog mag or the Ceiner mags come close to touching the bolt hold open. Got a link to the set up that locks the bolt back via the bolt hold open?

This one wouldn't reliably function (and clearing the malfunction is nothing like clearing a 5.56 malfunction) in half a dozen different AR's when cleaned, lubed, and fed Remington Golden Bullets per Ceiner's instructions, but has functioned fine (per Ceiner's what not to do instruction) after taking the kit apart and polishing as much of the phosphating off the mating bolt and rail surfaces as possible. I have checked out the CMMG adapter and it looks a lot better than the Ceiner in terms of fit and finish, but otherwise appears to be just another Atchisson type kit.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
That's easy, you just have to get the right mags that say they have the bolt hold open follower. All of the ones I have in use work reliably.

http://blackdogmachinellc.net/ar15-.22-conversion-25rd-mag.aspx

Atchisson type kits can be hit and miss. The ones I have function great and that's using Fed bulk pack 22LR.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ok, the follower holds the bolt open until you remove the magazine. So that is still not how a standard rifle with bolt operates.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cool rifle but the question is...Does it shoot like a 10/22? And does anyone make a .920 barrel for it yet? grin

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
D
Dew Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
What about groups... that is what I want know about. Is it one of those 2" group shooters at 25 yards.

D

Looking for a new GPS for 2010?
Try the Bible.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Stryker60

LOL...what a pitch man! Jeff likes everything that ever went "bang".

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I handled one of these in the store the other day, it was in the rack along with the Smith and Wesson M&P22 and the Colt 22lr version.

I'll take the Ruger anyday. Mainly because it is made of metal, and is actually quite stout and well balanced. It does not feel like a toy at all; the Smith and the Colt both feel like toys. The controls on the Ruger are smooth and have the same feel when manipulated multiple times; the safties on both the Smith and the Colt were mushy, and not repeatable in their on/off feel.

In short, I think this is a smart move by Ruger. I didn't buy one because my interests are elsewhere right now, but if I were in the market for a 22 to imitate an AR, and didn't want an extra upper, I'd take the Ruger.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,487 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,076
Posts18,482,691
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.