Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
For sale: Ruger Stainless Steel Bisley Vaquero 45 Long Colt caliber, bought new in 2003, in excellent shape. Discontinued in 2004. Eagle checkered Rosewood Gunfighter Grips with Ruger emblem, cost me $90. Fired approx 200 rounds of Black Hills ammo through it. $525 + $25 shipping to lower 48.
Must ship to 01FFL, if your FFL won't except transfer from private individual add $35 for transfer.

Might be interested in trading for your 45 LC S&W revolver like a M25, or other full size, 5" or longer barrel S&W or Colt .357, 44 mag or 44 special double action revolvers, dollars plus or minus to make the deal.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w199/friedturkeyspam/DSCF1883.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w199/friedturkeyspam/DSCF1876.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w199/friedturkeyspam/DSCF1869.jpg[/img]

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by morecowbell; 10/14/09.

Progress is man's ability to complicate simplicity.
Thor Heyerdahl
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is this the older style that can handle "hot" loads?? ie not just cowboy loads?

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Damn that's nice!!!

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by avagadro

I'm not sure what you mean by older style, I do know that it can handle pressures of modern 45LC as it was manufactured 7 years ago and Ruger, to the best of my knowledge, never made a weak one.

Maybe you are thinking about some other brands that had blackpowder only frames or something, I seem to remember vintage Colts having that distinction possibly.

I have no doubt that it was proof tested by Ruger to 1.5 or so times the max SAAMI pressure, I think if I'm not mistaken even some of the reloading manuals list slightly higher pressure loads than you would buy off the shelf specifically for the Ruger single actions.

Maybe someone reading this knows more on this subject and can shed some light on it.

Mike

Last edited by morecowbell; 10/14/09.

Thor Heyerdahl
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Yes, it is. The new Vaqs are marked "New Model Vaquero".

That one is on the standard Blackhawk frame.

Damned nice rig.

IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks VA for answering the question avagadro asked.

Mike

Thor Heyerdahl
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
That's just nothing short of sweet. Free bump

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The checkered gunfighter grips are flatter than the traditional "plowshare" of a SAA or Ruger blackhawk/superblackhawk, and with the "Bisley" frame shape and "Bisley" hammer, makes for much improved ergonomics.

Bump for a nice shootin' iron.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Can't believe this one's still here!!

Someone better get on it or I might just have another 45LC..... wink

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by avagadro

george, are you talking about a trimmed 450 casull ?

well, i guess the casull is just a long 45 lc right?

sweet rig, once again i wish the timing was right for me.

Something clever here.

IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
One time price reduction before I pull this add, $500 + $20 shipping and I'll include the black nylon pistol rug.

Thanks,
Mike

Thor Heyerdahl
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Mike I really like that thing, the low pro hammer spur, the grips, I like it.

And I've been looking for a nice single action lately. I had decided the vaquero is what i'm looking for after handling some of the other western style offerings out there. I'm actually looking for a case colored vaq in a 44 mag or 357 as a field carry gun for my trips out west.

Can anyone enlighten me as to some hand load options for the 45 lc that might safely get me a little more spank than the original 45 lc ballistics? it just seems as though it has the capacity for a whole lot more jam than what fact load ballistics show for it?

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
hey mike, as usual I ran on ahead & answered my own question by researching the subject. grin

Seems as though the pre 2004 vaq is a better unit if the intent is to use some juiced up loads. (high pressure)

Something clever here.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
From what I have looked into based on what Mr. VAnimrod stated above, the next year or so after my Vaquero was built Ruger in their attempt to make a lighter more slender single action more along the original colt lines became the "new Vaquero". It was no longer the beefier Blackhawk frame like mine is. It may be conjecture but some say to not use the "hotter" loads listed in some reloading manuals as "Ruger Blackhawk loads" which were able to withstand somewhat more pressure than the relatively mild loads available off the shelf due to the weaker actions that is in the population.

The 45LC can take a larger grain projectile than the others and traveling slower than some of the "magnum" rounds you mentioned still produces a fair amount of wallop.

I think it goes back to the theory heavy and slow VS the light and fast debate. I shoot a 45/70 Govt Marlin and it isn't as fast as practically 90% of the rifle cartridges out there but it's effectiveness is beyond debate. It's range however is somewhat limited being at most in my view a 150 yd gun.

I guess what I am saying is the revolver I have for sale is capable of withstanding the most you will get out of the 45LC, but it will never be a long range weapon or have the footpounds of a full bore 44mag or on up the power scale, etc.

I like guys from my old state of Minnesota and if you want my revolver I will also throw in a pretty nice Hunter holster and go $10 on the freight since we are so close.

Mike

Thor Heyerdahl
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
alright Mike, that certainly sweetens things for me.

Like I mentioned in PM, I have this auction to run to, pair of vaq's on the bill & they are selling at noon so I gotta run.

I prefer yours because it is the bisley version and the 2 on the auction are not. We'll see what happens at the auction, talk to you soon.

Dave

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Sorry Mike, I did bring home one of the stainless vaquero's on that auction i went to.

Stupid auctions, can't help myself.

Yours is cooler though with the bisley hammer & gunfighter grip.

can't believe this is still here.

Bump

Something clever here.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
No worries, it's hard to resist when you are holding one in your hand.

Since I offered you the sweeter deal, it's only fair to offer it to the rest of the guys. $510 shipped, including holster and rug. I'll take a pic tomorrow/later on today and post it in the holster.

This is my final reduction, really.

Mike

Thor Heyerdahl
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
just so everybody knows, I didn't do better than that on the one I bought yesterday.

I looked at it, set a $500 limit for myself & began bidding. the way the bid was racing I raised my hand at 500 and expected it to run to at least 550... Well, bidding halted at 500 & I had myself a vaq.

I don't mind pointing out the retardedness of my impulsive condition at auction sales grin

Mike's here is a bisley which I find quite attractive, the grips kick ass as well & he's throwing in a holster.

My congratulations to who ever purchases this rig for $510 shipped.

Something clever here.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Here's what it looks like in the holster,

[Linked Image]

Thor Heyerdahl
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Bump for a very nice rig!

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

195 members (79S, 673, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 27 invisible), 2,353 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,323
Posts18,526,430
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.