Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by sse
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
snort!

Hey, I'd share a campfire with you any time sse, and I'd even try the chicken bean soup. smile

Me too Sam but he would have to leave the margarine at home! grin

No margarine was harmed in the making of that chile.

sounds like a wonderfull adaptation of the original chile intent. that is, chile is low-cost substantive protein rich food.

beans and chicken could easily qualify, with sufficient inputs of chili pepper and onions. wink

what makes a basic chili? pepper and meat, right? and then add additionals, or not. beans, tomato, tomatillo, salt, etc??

what are the essential ingredients in order to have a "true chili?"

i say pepper, onions, salt, and a meat that takes a while to cook, at the minimum. adding tomatoes and related, and some garlic. anything else? remember, we're speaking of minimum ingredients for a true substantive meal? grin

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gus

what are the essential ingredients in order to have a "true chili?"

I sure don't know the answer to that question but...
Chili judges want to see meat and red gravy. They don't want to see any green,yellow,orange,or any color chunks in there. Just meat and red gravy...

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Chillies
Meat
and
Heat.

Everything else is optional/regional/personal.

...new laws were most numerous when the commonwealth was most corrupt. ~ Publius Cornelius Tacitus
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Aileinduinn
Chillies
Meat
and
Heat.

Everything else is optional/regional/personal.

yep. if'n i was back out there in west texas, the beef would probably be brisket. heh, it might even be goat, who knows?

it'd be chunky meat, and not "smooth."

chili pepper, red hot, paparika, and other chilies.

but, what about tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste??

the base case is meat and chili pepper, and maybe some water?

beyond that, what is the next step, building up from the bottom??

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The oldest recipes are made of dried or scrap beef, suet, and chilis simmered in water or stock, with salt, cumin, paprika, and masa harina, hominy flour, or tortilla pieces for thickening.

Tomatoes, tomatillos, nopales, onions, garlic, beans, are all post 1900 embellishments.

...new laws were most numerous when the commonwealth was most corrupt. ~ Publius Cornelius Tacitus
IC B2

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The oldest recipes are made of dried or scrap beef, suet, and chilis simmered in water or stock, with salt, cumin, paprika, and masa harina, hominy flour, or tortilla pieces for thickening.

Tomatoes, tomatillos, nopales, onions, garlic, beans, are all post 1900 embellishments.

'preciate the advisement and guidance. back in the day, chili was a staple of the working cowboy, wasn't it?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
From what I gather, it was street food and poor food in and around the mission towns in the Tex-mex borderlands. San Antonio is considered its cultural home, and it is distinctly American. Earliest documented recipes are from Spain in the late 1600s and refer to a Native American stew of venison and chilis.

It became popularized by Texas trail hands and cowboys in the early 1800s as the first "instant trail meal". They pounded dried beef, suet, pepper, salt, and the chili peppers together into a brick or paste. Think of it as hot pemmican. Due to its condensed nature it was very stable, could be made edible simply by adding enough water to hydrate into a soup. It was likely served with camp breads or tortillas, and or beans (likely the origin of the association between chili and beans).

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
yep, given the beginning, it's easy to understand when time is tight, and resources are few, that the meat, peppers, and maybe beans were all added to the pot, in order to be more efficient, and save time.

lots of spices in todays chili product. we've made a wonderfully delicious food from a product that use to provide basic protein, fiber, flavor, and carbos to the cowboys who worked to send the cattle East.

in terms of pure efficiency, when time was tight, meat and beans could make a great meal.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I made slow cooker chili verde yesterday for the first time.
The wife put hers over tortilla chips with cheese and green onions and said it was the sexiest plate of nachos she's ever had.
HA!

I used a food network recipe basically cut in half and modified for what I had on hand: lime juice instead of vinegar, poblanos, guajillos and hungarians for chilis, no black pepper, and I added a pinch of cinnamon.

Good stuff.

Guy Fieri's Chili Verde Pork

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Does look good. I usually cook and freeze two dinners worth of verde for deer camp so I'll make one batch with this recipe weekend after next.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I build huge pots of chili verde which Miss T cans. I use an entire black bear to build a pot and add about an equal amount of tomatillos; lots of garlic and onions; several different peppers, roasted and peeled; a ton of fresh cilantro and the meat is browned in bacon fat after dredging in masa harina.

It makes a mean burrito...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I build huge pots of chili verde which Miss T cans. I use an entire black bear to build a pot and add about an equal amount of tomatillos; lots of garlic and onions; several different peppers, roasted and peeled; a ton of fresh cilantro and the meat is browned in bacon fat after dredging in masa harina.

I think I just had what the sages call an epiphany.
Man, that sounds awesome.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Only from Alaska....ingredients: One whole bear cubedwink

Bart's chili should get a sticky IMO

His new signature line is especially fitting to the topic also...

Please don't feed the trolls!
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
His new signature line is especially fitting to the topic also...

So is your handle...LOL

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

441 members (1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 1234, 1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 43 invisible), 2,146 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,263
Posts18,504,873
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.