Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Newguy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have moved to an area that has some High Power matches and I want to shoot in the Service Rifle division. I have a few stripped lowers (S&W and CMMG) and I am looking at the White Oak Armament Service Match upper and a Geissele trigger. Is this a good choice?

If I am reading the rules correctly I think I will need an A2 stock. Can I use a Magpul grip or do I have to use an A2 grip?

I have never shot in any of the matches, but I have most of the things that I need: Shooting Jacket, Shooting Gloves, Sling, Mat, and Chair. I still need to get a spotting scope and stand. Any leads on a gently used one would be appreciate. I have been looking at Creedmor Sports but their prices seem to be a little high.

GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
The rifle is fine, make sure to Adjust the Geissele to be above 4.5 pounds. It's the best trigger for a match AR.

A2 stock is correct, no magpul grip, you must use the standard grip.

I have an older Nikon spotting scope (S&E 80mm) that worked fine. You may want to look at Konus, it's inexpensive and quite popular. Kowa is very expensive. For the scope stand, there are many good ones but you may want to look at Doug Giraud's offering. There is also Ray Vin and a few others.

Newguy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You are headed the right direction!! on the upper. On the trigger, if you want cheaper, get a tuned RRA trigger from White Oak first....

Check with Champions Choice and Champions Shooters Supply to see if they have used scope stands.

If you want a primo scope stand, the Giraud is it IMHO. Aluminum so its not cast like the other older ones on the base and shouldn't break like the old ones did.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My advice would be to go to a few matches with a pair of binoculars if that is all you have and ask the guys there what to look for in a scope and stand. You may find one of them selling something very serviceable in order to move up to the latest and greatest. You can also look at their stuff and see what you like. I have never met a HP shooter that wasn't willing to talk to a new shooter. If nothing else, go here to get more HP shooters advice.

http://www.usrifleteams.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

This is a forum specifically for High Power shooters.

Fast Ed

Define your manhood not by success, but by significance.
NRA Benefactor
IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
As far as a rifle geared for competition, Glen Zedikers book:

"The new competitive AR-15" is a WEALTH of information about this. I'd say its a must read on the subject.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by hunt_ak; 11/05/09.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Zedicker is good if you can stand his writing method... I can't stand reading how he writes. I have 2 of his books and have never finished either.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Well, there is a reason why he self-publishes the books, a regular editor would demand countless rewrites. :-)

I have several of his books and I have talked with him on the phone a few times and corresponded via email. He is very knowlegeable and quite a hoot to talk with.

The issue with his writing style, in my experience, is that he tries to convey a lot of information and it's not completely organized. Geez, where have I seen that before? So, you will be reading a chapter on barrels and bingo, he is off on a tangent. Also, he has a tendency of using down-home aphorisms that I don't get sometimes and he does mangle the English language. It's like talking with him, imagine that.

To an organized person like Jeff, this style probably grates on them; I am somewhat disorganized myself (my wife would probably laugh uproariously at this and say something snippy like "somewhat?",) so I kind of relate to Zediker's style. I have actually read his books several times over, but I dont' start at the beginning and go from there, I jump all over the place.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Oh I'm far from organized, I just despise his use of the English language in printed matter thats supposed to be educational books....

I was looking for deer rifle ammo the other day and finally turned up both MTM boxes... 1 loaded round in the one, 12 empties in the other. That was Monday. Ever try to buy 7x300wtby ammo at wally world etc.... or lets just say period....

I went and finally broke down and loaded some more of the old stuff that I didn't want to shoot any more of.

So I go out and unlock the safe and grab the rifle and head out the back door down to the pasture... open the bolt... well there is the ammo I needed... 3 rounds in the mag. Would have been plenty for deer season. Still will be....thats my orginization...

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Gosh, I'm not sure you should be around high powered weapons. :-)

You're worse than I am and I'm 10 years older.

smile

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Yes, you guys are correct. I was PISSED the first time I sat down and tried to read that book. I did learn tons of great information and have it now for reference.

He's kinda cut and dried and I'm sure theres other ways to skin the high-power cat, but its definitely a great resource...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (222Sako, 01Foreman400, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 65 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,601
Posts18,492,258
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.