Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
When I was a kid I jumped at the chance to hunt with anyone.
Now, I prefer to hunt alone. I see more game, go home when
I feel like it, etc.

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I much prefer hunting alone.
I let a buddy know where I am and when I'll be checking in,if I come home early he gets a call.

I loose patience with ,where will we meet? who's buying food?
can my friends come too? do you have extra sleepin bags?
Can you drive and bring me home early for work? Got any extra bullets?

If I share the hunt with a buddy, we have plans shook out early on so nobody has a surprise.
I'll see you after dark, back at camp.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I lost my long time humting buddy, Ronnie L. of Crosby Tx this year. Colorado won't be the same.

Jimbob
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Sweetsues sorry to hear that.

I am lucky I have a great hunting partner we have been hunting together since college around 30 years. We go together but often hunt alone. Its great to have a good friend to hunt with. As we get older we admit that we enjoy the social time as well. grin We can complain about the aches and pains and at least one of us will have some Advil.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Almost all the time....Hunting isn't a social event for me unless it's a trip a long way from home with my dad (usually to the southern Rockies). I find myself REALLY looking forward to spending time alone in the woods each fall.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I was thinking today that I have learned the most and had
the best experiences when I was hunting alone. I guess
Im a big loner.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Around home I hunt alone almost 100% of the time. It's my time that way and I can spend it how I please.

When I travel I always have companions. Cost and safety are certainly factors. Since it's usually an elk hunt, extra strong backs are always welcome smile

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I prefer to hunt alone and this year everytime I have gone out I have gone out alone(except for my dogs). Last year I hunted about 50 days and except for two or three days was alone. I am hunting birds now mostly and will start looking for a moose in November. I just feel better in the woods and barrens by myself

If it doesn't have fin, fur, feathers or go bang, I just ain't interested.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Ditto. It's harder to find a good hunting partner than it is a good woman, well maybe not.

You have got to find both!

Last edited by Whelenman; 10/19/09.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I hunt within 1/4 mile of my house...so hunting alone...with my cell phone in my pocket... is actually kind of a reprieve and a mini vacation...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Last year was the first time for elk/deer. Had Daughter #2 and her fiance along for the first 2 days, then was on my own. Have to admit I enjoyed it.

This year will be something of a repeat. My 10-year hunting buddy will only be able to hunt 2 full days, and Daughter #2 and her now husband will do the same. Leaves me with several days to myself.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have hunted alone a good deal, but mostly when I was younger,.

The problem is a nice walk in the woods is all warm and cozy and next to nature and all that rot smile , but if your hunting and kill something then packing out an elk, moose, or even a deer all by your lonesome, is enough in itselfs, to void that silly notion!

At 75 my wife, kids discourage it these days and probably with justification..They feel the same when I work cows or go anywhere horse back..although I am in fit condition and don't feel any different than when I was 30, other than aches and pains that are normal.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I might have 1-3 other persons in camp,and we usually ride out together, but go separate ways once in the hunting area.

I quit trying to work out schedules and where to go.I tell my hunting buddies when I am going and where and tell them they are welcome to come.

As for older giys working youngs ones as John Moses said, well I guess the young ones don't know how to work. They want to go to town at night and drink or stay up gambling or?, but piss and moan about having to get up at 3 AM. Or they ride back into camp,tie thier animals up and let them wait for food or water until they have a few beers. Yes we do it our way because after 50 years,we know what works, and do not need some snot nose kid telling us how to do it.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Whenever I'm not hunting with someone else.

Camp is where you make it.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I can't do anything alone anymore.....I have a 8 years old son! He's my partner at just about everything I do when I'm not at work. I guess I should enjoy it until he gets more interested in his friends and girls lol. grin

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by New_York_Hunter2
I can't do anything alone anymore.....I have a 8 years old son! He's my partner at just about everything I do when I'm not at work. I guess I should enjoy it until he gets more interested in his friends and girls lol. grin

You're a fortunate man. Enjoy every minute with your son and not only will you have fun, it will pay off in his life.

I hunt alone a lot and enjoy the total freedom of it, but take every chance I can to hunt with my sons, who now live several hours drive away. Other than my two boys, I've a small number of friends with whom I enjoy a hunt. Other than those few, I prefer hunting alone, though like Atkinson, my family is concerned and had me buy a SPOT to take along. I'll probably hunt deer and moose alone this weekend.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My wife discourages me from hunting alone, but she is kind of a worrier. It seems that lately when I hunt with others, I feel like we are in a foot race, which makes it difficult to spot game. I see things better when I stop moving. I'm sure I could have kept up with them 40 years ago but back then I didn't spot much game either. I've found my slow pace when I'm alone works for me.

Hunting alone does have some drawbacks. About 29 years ago I fell off the side of a mountain and had to crawl out of the canyon, dragging my legs behind me. It took a long time to heal. I also had a close call in the Australian outback with an unfriendly snake. Not a great situation, when you are miles from the nearest road and no one knows where you are.

Perhaps my wife's worries aren't totally unjustified.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
T_Inman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Bump

For the 1st time since I made this post, I invited a buddy along for opening morning turkey. Guess what??? He arrived at 6 AM instead of the planned 5 AM this morning. By the time we got out to the spot, there were vehicles parked around every turn. Obviously, we didn't get a bird.

It'll be at least another 2 years before I'm stupid enough invite someone again.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Should have had pretty nice weather today for turkey huntin, eh? It was pretty nice in Missoula/Bonner. To answer the original question, I would rather hunt alone also. Cant do that a whole lot anymore since my girlfriend rarely lets me leave the house without her. Which is a good thing too. I only got to hunt by myself a few days last season since someone was always wanting me to take them out to find a deer for them. I dont mind it but ended up screwing myself and hardly having any time to myself. There is nothing I hate more than taking someone else and having them fidget in the blind, want to go home, complain about being cold, be incredibly picky about an animal, be unsafe, etc.

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.
T_Inman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It was good weather. That's for sure.
You're at the U right?

What classes you taking this semester?

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

472 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 163bc, 42 invisible), 2,164 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,246
Posts18,486,192
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.