-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
if the Chit ever hits the fan, I'll be toting a couple of 1911's as a backup to either my 870 or SP101

the Glocks will be distributed to those I choose to arm.

I am an American you know.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 1akhunter
the Glocks will be distributed to those I choose to arm.

I am an American you know.
When I had Glocks, that was my plan too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I don't chime in, someone's bound to call me on it...

Originally Posted by Magnumdood
...I also installed a Tyvek custom trigger group (aluminum, not plastic) on both of my Model 20s (10mm). Now there is little perceptible trigger creep, and no over-travel. The striker releases at 3 lb every time now.

What happened to "Glock perfection"? Wasn't that good enough? wink

The polymer frame (which many pistols have now) soak up a tremendous amount of recoil.

I think this is just so much bunk. Even IF the plastic absorbs recoil, the reduced weight also must increase felt recoil. We used to hear that marketspeak about plastic rifle stocks too, and I'm here to tell ya it just doesn't translate to lower felt recoil for a given stock shape. Any actual reduction of felt recoil has more to do with mechanical design, leverage, and grip angle than anything else. My Kahr K9 has less felt recoil than a Glock 26. If the K9 was a double-stack, the difference would likely be even greater.

I did a side-by-side test with my Glock 20 and a Colt Delta Elite in 10mm. The Colt's steel frame transferred a much sharper recoil impulse than the Glock's polymer frame.

I don't know about 10mm, but maybe you can explain to me why a box-stock Hi-Power feels much more pleasant in recoil to me than any Glock. I haven't shot a 9mmm 1911, so I can't attest to that. Someone has been advertising an aluminum frame conversion for Glocks. That's a recoil comparison I'd like to see. OBTW - my box-stock Hi-Power (which I foolishly sold and will replace someday) was 100% reliable, even with crappy reloads.

I've never had a pistol that felt so good in my hand as the Glock, and my natural point of aim is dead on with the Glock.

I invite you to make an effort to see what you can do with custom grips - on guns that will accept them. Glocks need not apply.

Obviously, I don't care for Glocks. I don't particularly enjoy shooting them. They don't fit my hand well (and making one fit is an expensive proposition). I hate staple-gun triggers. I prefer a heavier material for handguns that will be carried in a holster. I like the ability to custom fit with inexpensive grip changes. I could go on, but I won't.

The Glock is a good service pistol that works as well as anything. It ain't perfect (you proved that point) and it ain't the best for everybody. It has many good points that would be a plus if I could stand to use one, and if I were required to use one I wouldn't cry about it - especially if I were allowed some of the many available modifications. But it certainly ain't at the top of my list.

That's about it.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FreeMe
But it certainly ain't at the top of my list.

Sooo, which handgun is?

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by FreeMe
But it certainly ain't at the top of my list.

Sooo, which handgun is?

That's rhetorical question, isn't it?

Well.......I guess it's a three-way tie. Depending on what kind of hair day I'm having, it's either a 1911, a Hi-Power, or a 4"-5" DA revolver. Any of these three would be the handgun I would prefer to be carrying when I really need one.

Okay, okay.....you noticed I listed the 1911 first, eh?

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Glock 21 and I like it fine� I have a HK USP in 45 and I like it much better� for a number of reasons� I have a Sig P220 and I like it best� for carry.
For carry in a field or a car or Hunting or being cool or just shooting I still pick my 1911. But for everything else I want I want the safety of a double action.

For real carry Well� that�s a different story all together

Last edited by temmi; 10/19/09. Reason: to make it english

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
So, just so I am straight on your original post: since "E" doesn't agree with your opinion of a handgun his affinity for Leupold rifle scopes somehow proves that they are mediocre and everyone not agreeing with you has twisted logic. Got it.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by kenjs1
So, just so I am straight on your original post: since "E" doesn't agree with your opinion of a handgun his affinity for Leupold rifle scopes somehow proves that they are mediocre and everyone not agreeing with you has twisted logic. Got it.

No no...I should have made this clear originally; Leupold scopes are mediocre regardless of E's idolatry of them.

With regard to the twisted logic; yes.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Jog,

Since you've made the biggest ruckus over the title containing the word combat, are you former or current military?

Have you been in combat?

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No.

No doubt, my lack of military experience puts certain limits on my opinions. I am a former competitive shooter (about 30-years worth), so I try to approach things from the standpoint of total 'shootability' of the platform.

Ruckus? I don't think so. To me there's a big difference between defensive and combat weapons. The latter connotes an offensive and more intense scenario.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
That's why they make vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry

Leupold scopes are mediocre? HA!

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Ah, Dood. Are you really interested in what I think or are you just trying to start a fight ? Looks to me like all you want to do is fight.
Just how much street time, and in how many fights did you use your Glock ? Sure doesn't sound like much. If you had any, you'd already know some of the things I'd say about them. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NH K9
I'll step up. I have no use for Glocks. I've tried to warm up to 'em on several occasions and can't. The ergos don't work for me at all.

For duty work I'll keep my Sig, thank you. For personal use, nothing beats the 1911 IMHO.

George

Even though I was on a somewhat small department(28 uniformed), none of our guys liked the ergo's on the Glock as well. We were doing a switch from S&W 686's at the time and most agreed that the Sig 226 was the nicer of the weapons we had on hand for testing. The second choice of the crew was a S&W Sigma 40 cal which was pretty nice as well. Me, I'm a Beretta guy. I'm sure the Glock is a well proven gun, but if it doesn't fit your hand correctly, it's not of much use from my POV.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If handguns matter, in a military sense, usually something has gone horribly wrong.
Bill

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by wahoo
If handguns matter, in a military sense, usually something has gone horribly wrong.
Bill
Which happens from time to time.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Ah, Dood. Are you really interested in what I think or are you just trying to start a fight ? Looks to me like all you want to do is fight.
Just how much street time, and in how many fights did you use your Glock ? Sure doesn't sound like much. If you had any, you'd already know some of the things I'd say about them. E

Seventeen street years altogether E, and 9 of them with the Glock 20. Contrary to popular belief, use of lethal force by the police is a relatively rare occurrence. Thank God I never had to shoot anyone.

How many years have you served on a police force or a Sheriff's department?

And what are your gripes about Glocks?

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by JOG
Ruckus? I don't think so. To me there's a big difference between defensive and combat weapons. The latter connotes an offensive and more intense scenario.

Really? While I've never shot at anyone I have been shot at twice, cut three times with a knife and been in countless scuffles arresting people. I can tell you from experience, your sphincter pucker factor would be the same regardless of which situation (defensive vs. combat) put you in mortal danger. That is a fact. And you would use your pistol the same way; shoot for center mass of the largest portion of the offender's/combatants body that is available. That is a fact too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I own a G19 and a G21SF. I think the ergos on the Glock 19 are great! the G21SF... maybe I need to get used to it, maybe I need more practice, maybe the recoil transfer is different, I don't know... I'm not as accurate with it. Both wear a Hogue grip sleeve and "feel" pretty good in my hand when not firing.

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by wahoo
Bill

I did not serve, but all the deputies that trained me and I worked with were Viet Nam vets who all saw extensive combat. To a person they would agree with the above statement. If you're down to just a handgun something has gone horribly awry. You're totally defensive. I'm sure there are exceptions, but you don't see our troops patrolling in Afghanistan and Iraq with pistols at low-ready; they have their ARs slung UP and ready.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
And you would use your pistol the same way; shoot for center mass of the largest portion of the offender's/combatants body that is available. That is a fact too.

Where we seem to be disagreeing is on the size and distance of the target the bad guys offers. You mentioned a man-sized target at a maximum of 30-feet. I hope that's true, but I will be preparing for a lot tougher target than that.

Robert Frost
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (160user, 1Longbow, 222Sako, 10ring1, 222ND, 257 mag, 70 invisible), 2,304 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,574
Posts18,531,982
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.