-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
P
Did you ever get your ember hearth stove going? I have one that I purchased in 1978 that I used for years. It is still in working condition and a very good stove. I have replaced the blower motor several times with just a universal motor. The stove came prepared for an 8 inch flue which could be reduced
to 6 inch if flue had enough height which I had. Looks to me that someone tried to heat liquids on top of stove which didn't really work cause the stove was designed to work with blower running causing the top to be to cool to cook or heat water properly.

GB4

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love my wood stove. It's an Earth Stove out of Oregon. Nothing like a good wood fire on a cold winter's nite. Fact is I just started mine. CB

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a soapstone wood stove heater.
It is the paladin and when you get that soapstone warmed up it stays for a long time.
It lasts all night with a load of oak in and it takes 16 inch wood.It weights about 500 lbs and it looks good in the corner of the living room.

6mm250 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I just wire brushed & painted the stove , didn't use any Oxpho , the paint is holding up good. I left the 6" reducer in place.
I never did hook up the blower , don't need it , plenty of heat without it. I have a fire going in it right now.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Don't you wish they would settle on one size of flue pipe I do.
It seems everyone wants to be a little different.

IC B2

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by 6mm250
Sand it & paint it.
I've been playing around with woodstoves.

I tried this one out.

[Linked Image]

It puts out plenty heat but it won't hold a fire for an extended period of time , too much draft.

Mike

+1 on ash in clean out tray. I have had that exact stove in our Ohio hunt camp cabin for the past 14 years. bought used here in Ga. for $25 and until we figured out the ash solution and we added a draft damper on the chimney pipe the guy with the cheapest sleeping bag lost and had to get up in about 4-5 hours and stoke the fire, now it will last about 6-7 hours if box is filled and everything is dampered down.

Never try to teach a pig to sing...
...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!
T
T
Would you let me know what universal motor did you order for your Ember Hearth Stove? I am looking for the motor for the blower that shows in this memo.
Gary.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Looks nice and warm!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm currently shopping for a wood stove and have decided on a Jotul of some sort because it's Norwegian and so am I.

I'm a novice, but Jotul is a good name. There's more science to these things than I realized. EPA, catalytic vs non catalytic, optimum stove pipe installation etc...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Gus
nice. how do you plan to deal with the exterior rust? leave it like it is, paint over it, something in addition?

I have used Stove Black in the past. Never tried paint of any kind yet. A good old stove that I use and abuse in my shop was getting in rough shape from snow, water, etc. I use it to thaw stuff out, warm things up. I brought out some used bacon grease, butter, cooking oil, and swabbed it down. Smoked things up, but it looks pretty danged good.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I just wire brushed & painted the stove , didn't use any Oxpho , the paint is holding up good. I left the 6" reducer in place.
I never did hook up the blower , don't need it , plenty of heat without it. I have a fire going in it right now.

Mike

If you hook up your blower you'll be able to run the stove cooler and conserve wood. You don't want to run the stove to cool because you want the smoke hot as it goes up the chimney to avoid excessive creosote build up.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

6mm250 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This is the 10th winter I've used the old Ember Hearth. I never did do anything to it except wire brush it & spray it with flat black hi-temp paint. It's still chugging along just fine.

There were a lot of well built wood stoves manufactured in the '70s-early '80s. This one will outlast me , unless the EPA SWATs it first.

[Linked Image]

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
I'm currently shopping for a wood stove and have decided on a Jotul of some sort because it's Norwegian and so am I.

I'm a novice, but Jotul is a good name. There's more science to these things than I realized. EPA, catalytic vs non catalytic, optimum stove pipe installation etc...

I really like mine.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Which model do you have?

They're all pretty enticing. I can't decide.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
You folks are driving me nuts with this wood heat, it would sure feel good tonight!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sand it & paint it.
I've been playing around with woodstoves.

I tried this one out.

[Linked Image]

It puts out plenty heat but it won't hold a fire for an extended period of time , too much draft.

Mike

Put a damper in the flue pipe and it will help a lot.
That's what I did with my old Fisher Grandpa Bear,

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have one that was bought new in 1978 and used every winter since. It looks very similar to 6mm250's stove. I have had to replace the door gasket a few times. I replaced the blower motor 8 years ago. Other than that all I have done is use it. It is 6 above zero right now and there is a good hot black locust fire going in it. Nice and warm here in the house.

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.

Thomas Jefferson
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It's 6 degrees out now. But thanks to my Vermont Castings wood stove it's over 90 degrees in my basement. Glad I have it. I do wish I had a better venting system to get the heat upstairs more efficiently. But it sure helps. My neighbors came over earlier to warm up a bit. Stay warm folks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh, I will......

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Interesting wall art Hunts.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

129 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 673, 300_savage, 17CalFan, 19 invisible), 1,325 guests, and 1,065 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,994
Posts18,481,126
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.