Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I like Glocks, out of all the pistols I own the one that sits next to my bed, is a Glock 23. It's not my favorite pistol but it is the one that I know will go boom if I pull the trigger and will do so with little thought even if awakened from a deep sleep.

Having said that, the Glock is not the be all end all. Obviously our military chose what it thought (rightly or wrongly) was a great battlefield pistol and I'm sure somewhere, someone would brag that it is THE pistol and anyone that disagrees is stupid. Course, the M9 doesn't fit MY hand, so the opinion of that person stops right there for what is the best choice for me.

The Glock has it's warts, it has a lot of muzzle flip compared to similar pistols and all the excuses in the world won't change the fact that I can shoot some other pistols accurately, faster than I can the Glock. Some of them might not pass the other tests equally, however, so the G23 sleeps next to me.

I cannot imagine however that a Sig 229, H&K USP Compact or perhaps even the Walther P99 or Beretta PX4 would serve me in a war scenario any less reliably than the Glock. Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When the Beretta was competing against domestic brands in the 80's there were all kinds of rumors going around that the USA chose it to placate Italy and win favorable conditions for continued bases in that country. I have no idea if the rumors were true or not.

Was thinking a couple of weeks ago if I did the Indiana Jones thing and trotted around the world, what handgun would I choose? (assuming you could carry your handgun to various distant places) It would have to work with minimal care, have some firepower and be able to supply it anywhere. I was thinking right next to the fedora and bullwhip I would toss a Glock 17 9mm.

This thread and especially Mackay Sagebrush's thread have finally given me the courage to come out of the closet about that. grin

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by NH K9
I'll step up. I have no use for Glocks. I've tried to warm up to 'em on several occasions and can't. The ergos don't work for me at all.

For duty work I'll keep my Sig, thank you. For personal use, nothing beats the 1911 IMHO.

George

I thoroughly concur, and I am not even going to go into the ugliness issue! YUK!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
For personal use, nothing beats the 1911 IMHO.

George
Well, maybe nothing exactly beats it, but I bet if you took two experts, one with a 1911 and the other with a slicked up K-Frame revolver, and loaded their guns with some sort of paint ball rounds, they'd be pretty even in a stand up fight.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Don't drop out now E; which department did you work for?

Does anybody honestly care and would it make a difference?

George

I wouldn't have asked if I didn't care George. My reasons are my own. As to it making a difference; does any of this make a difference?

IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
That should have read "for my personal use". I've never been one to attempt to dictate what others want/need.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Don't drop out now E; which department did you work for?

Does anybody honestly care and would it make a difference?

George

I wouldn't have asked if I didn't care George. My reasons are my own. As to it making a difference; does any of this make a difference?

None of it does to me, my check will clear tomorrow regardless of what goes on here. I would think that a 17 year veteran would be above the petty schit. I've been wrong before...

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'm sure you'll be wrong again.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
More than likely, but not when it's important. I'm good like that.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
If you don't hurt yourself or allow anyone else to be harmed, you can count that as good day.

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have had 1, and I no longer have it. I shoot them high when point shooting, like 6-12 inches high. It really doesnt matter to me how well it shoots with sand in it, or mud, or under water, when I dont shoot under those condtions for self defense, especially if I cant hit what I am pointing at. I like my Sigs, XDs, M&Ps, 1911s and my S&W revolvers. They all shoot to where I am pointing them, and they all work every time I pull the trigger.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It came to my attention that E doesn't like Glocks. Given his predilection for the mediocre (Leupold scopes), that he doesn't like Glocks doesn't surprise me in the least.

What interests me is his twisted reasoning...or that of anyone else who doesn't like Glocks.

I don't like GLocks, they don't fit my hand and in my opinion Leupold's the best scope out there for the money and I own them all. As to the world's finest combat handgun? opinions vary... alot. Still nice trolling topic. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The 1911 platform was meant to rattle when you shook it (battlefield mud, sand, dirt, etc couldn't cause it to seize up, and it was designed to fire FMJ rounds.

THAT is one of the oldest and most erroneous urban myths in the gun culture. Try any of the super 1911s like a Nighthawk, Wilson, Baer or even my standard Commnader Stainless from Colt and they are tight reliable and accurate and they ALL fire any kind of ammo you care to feed it. The Glock is a very reliable pistol and no doubt a great weapon, but the above statement just is not true. Sorry. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by jorgeI
The 1911 platform was meant to rattle when you shook it (battlefield mud, sand, dirt, etc couldn't cause it to seize up, and it was designed to fire FMJ rounds.

THAT is one of the oldest and most erroneous urban myths in the gun culture. Try any of the super 1911s like a Nighthawk, Wilson, Baer or even my standard Commnader Stainless from Colt and they are tight reliable and accurate and they ALL fire any kind of ammo you care to feed it. The Glock is a very reliable pistol and no doubt a great weapon, but the above statement just is not true. Sorry. jorge

Well Jorge, you'll count as 1 vet against about a dozen I worked with that agree with what I posted.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is ridiculous. Shoot what works for you and don't worry about what others like.

`Bring Enough Gun`
As I sit here thinking, I cant believe I wasted the last 15 minutes reading these posts. I just recently joined 24hourcampfire.com and I hope this is not an example of normal behavior here. No need to waste your time replying to me, I won't engage in this rediculous activity, just hoping some people decide to calm down and not feed on "aggressive discussion". I'm not sure but, I dont think this forum was designed for hostile conversation.........just a thought.

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M

Last edited by Magnumdood; 10/22/09. Reason: Unfit for public consumption.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That should have read "for my personal use". I've never been one to attempt to dictate what others want/need.

George

I'm with you on that one George and I also dislike those who pretend to be something they're not.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've been told by a firearms manufacturer that 1911s have tended to get tighter over the years but that doesn't make them inherently better. From what he stated whether there is some play in the slide to frame for example doesn't make much if any difference at all. I don't know if that plays into the previous statements about it's design for combat, to "rattle" and allow use in dirty environments, but I sort of took that to be what he was saying, that the somewhat looser fit was not inherently bad (the firearms manufacturer I know).

Edited to add (to stay on topic), that I've never really liked the feel of the Glocks. I've shot a number of fine pistols/revolvers and the Glock never felt right in my hand. I will say I didn't like the 1911 the first time I picked one up, but after shooting one it's now my primary carry gun in town.

Last edited by acesandeights; 10/22/09.

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Why dood ? So you can continue to argue and fight ? Just as I thought.
What standards others wish to apply to determine what's the best is up to them. I respect the opinions of guys like MS and a few others here. They can teach me something.
But this kind of "discussion" with you is a waste of my time. E

Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

213 members (17CalFan, 320090T, 1OntarioJim, 30incher, 21 invisible), 1,241 guests, and 983 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,980
Posts18,519,942
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.