Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
K
knight Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
I just got back from my Mule Deer hunt over some extreme terrain, I was trying to pay particular attention to whether or not the weight of the rifle was bothersome, 8.5 lbs all up. I have to say that rifle didn't hinder me at all, in fact I hardly noticed it at as I climbed up and down 70% grades, and traversed shale slides. I did have the rifle on one shoulder or the other often while in hairy situations where I may be needing both hands to grab terra firma, but the footing I was on at such times would have made it near impossible to make a good shot. I was traveling light with my fanny pack only containing a few energy bars, Gatorade, Kershaw Alaska knife, a knife sharpener, a game bag, a bit of rope, and flash light.

I will now don my asbestos underwear for the flaming I will receive from the under 7 lb crowd. grin

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hard to top the humor of someone lauding an empty pack.

Congratulations?.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
knight,

Its become difficult to have a discussion here due to the return of Big Stick now known as pale white cracker.

Its too bad but he spoils most topics with insults.

I feel sorry for him. He must be in such pain. Put him on ignore like I do and hope that he gets banned. Thats whats happened to him in the past.

As for the weight of a hunting rifle. About 8 lbs was maximum for me for big game however I have varmint rifles that weigh 10 lbs and target rifles that weigh more.

Now due to age I like the lightweights for hunting.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
8.5# sounds about average for my rifles. I've few that all up go 7 � 7.5 #s and a few that over 10#s.

Knight did you get your mule deer?

K
knight Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by PaleWhiteCracker
Hard to top the humor of someone lauding an empty pack.

Congratulations?.................

So true. And thanks. grin

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
70% grades are amazingly steep...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
K
knight Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by Savage_99
knight,

Its become difficult to have a discussion here due to the return of Big Stick now known as pale white cracker.

Its too bad but he spoils most topics with insults.

I feel sorry for him. He must be in such pain. Put him on ignore like I do and hope that he gets banned. Thats whats happened to him in the past.

As for the weight of a hunting rifle. About 8 lbs was maximum for me for big game however I have varmint rifles that weigh 10 lbs and target rifles that weigh more.

Now due to age I like the lightweights for hunting.

No need to put him on ignore I actually find him to be funny and interesting sometimes, other times not so much. And I can laugh at myself. grin

K
knight Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by cole_k
8.5# sounds about average for my rifles. I've few that all up go 7 � 7.5 #s and a few that over 10#s.

Knight did you get your mule deer?

I didn't get my deer so tag soup was for dinner last night? I did see a couple of spikes, but I only hold out for 4 point or better, I don't like venison all that much. Actually even the locals were complaining about the lack of good bucks in the area, we had a tough winter 2 years ago that was hell on the population. The highlights of the trip were the amazing views, and when I got within 50 yards of a nice 6 point elk with 9 cows while they knew I was there they were content to keep grazing for 20 minutes or so. Just getting out and hunting in unfamiliar ground, and seeing what is over the next rise are the main reasons I hunt, bagging an animal is gravy.

K
knight Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
70% grades are amazingly steep...

Yes they are, getting back down is always the fun part. My hunting partner is always worried about how he is going to get me out of there when I break my leg. I tell him its easy I will just come back down on his back, with my arms wrapped around his neck. grin

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I hate fanny packs. I much prefer regular back packs even if they're mostly empty. It is tempting to overfill them however. That be as it may, the rifle sounded about right. If a fellow gets in decent shape beforehand, he shouldn't have a problem. good on you.

Aim for the exit hole.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I like backpacks.Don't believe I could fit a deer in a fanny pack.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm a fan of big packs,mainly because they provide options,especially if one is entertaining a lifesize mount.

I've too many rifles in the stable,to think that there's an extrapolation to "X" amount of rifle weight equating to "Y" much Precision. I tend to use the tool for the job and when in doubt,that means something lighter/handier,mainly because they boast more utility.

Going up is the easy part and being pared down on that assault,will pay dividends on the descent with a laden pack,especially if you are doing so in one jaunt.

So like most I've piles of stuff in the 8.5lb realm,but relegate it more to lighthearted pursuits,as opposed to a real ball buster.

Light done right,leaves nuttin' to wish for....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
it does seem like there is a ton of whining over how much guns weigh these days doesn't it. man up, a 9# rifle should be easily carried if its not stick to the pickup truck or 4 wheeler. if the terrain is such that a light rifle is desired, its also more than likely a long shot will be needed, this is where a 9# rifle will do better. all the older winchesters and older guns all weighed about 8#'s bare 9#+ with scope, guys did it back then, why not now. I also find it funny that most of the guys moaning about heavy guns live back east somewhere, ie not where there are real moutains like the wasatch, uintas or rockies. I carried a 10.5# muzzleloader for 5 days 10-12 miles a day on an elk hunt last month. in ruff terrain, I have a fairly big gut as well, and somehow managed. toughen up!!!!!!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I can live with an 8-8.5 lb rifle but not much more. If you ever hunt with a sub 7 lb. rifle it makes it harder to go back. After that everything else feels like it has a brick duct taped under the barrel.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've done 8.5 lbs and 7.5 lbs is better... and 6.5 lbs is better yet. Beyond 6.25 lbs all-up is leaning into the "too light" category for me...

Aside, "better" assumes proper balance, stock configuration, etc...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Brad, help me calibrate here... I lack a scale, what would a .325 Montana with Talley LW's and a Leupold 2.5x8 weigh, do you think?

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jeff, can't say about your rifle, but my Kimber Montana 300 WSM with 3-9x40 in (heavy) Burris Zee's, Uncle Mikes Mountain Sling and three rounds goes 7lb's 6 oz's... subtract 2.4 oz's for the Zee's, 3.1 oz's for the rounds, 3.5 oz's for the sling... you're under 6lbs for sure, but I never calculate rifle weights sans sling and rounds as that's not how they're carried.

Aside, I did a backpack hunt this weekend for our Montana elk opener and was glad my rifle weighed no more than it did... especially packing out gear, head, meat, etc...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Would love to see a pic of that Bull................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Once you taste light done right,everything else is tainted and rest assured I've wares running the full gamut..................

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by PaleWhiteCracker
Would love to see a pic of that Bull................

Ask and even you shall receive...

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 117LBS, 007FJ, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 1,872 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,257
Posts18,525,281
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.