Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 16 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 15 16
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
whitey,
depite your rantings all those "stupid choices" get the job done just fine. And are a real pleasure for those shooting them. Imagine that.

William Berger

"True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway." - John Wayne
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You are even more stupid than I thought initially and I pegged the meter on you.

Rest assured your '65 is not 1-84",nor is your 32 twisted solely for flush wadcutters,while wearing a 6" leade.

I've no doubt,that someone will have to spell that out for you as well.................

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nope - its not. I know exactly what I have and thoroughly enjoy shooting everything in my safe. Whether it be a 120 year old Rolling Block or my custom 375 H&H - I enjoy them all.

William Berger

"True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway." - John Wayne
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by PaleWhiteCracker
'flave,

Many folks fall to major misconceptions(look at poor BMD here) and increasing throat length to accomodate higher BC's,is a glaring one. Especially in .224 and musing that 75A-Max in particular(a bullet that I've long stated as being worthy to expressly build a rifle around).

Anywhooo...the A-Max's sporty profile is coupled with modest bearing surface and it's ogive location is rather favorable,in the typical SAAMI throat length.

So one needn't throat longer in it's accords,whatcha need to do is simply twist for it and a "regular" throat will put you in the aforementioned 2.45"-ish ballpark in regards to COAL.

With the twist managed via barrel selection and not going crazy in throatiing,all that remains is the modest modification to the magbox(which was mentioned above) and you are there and in GRAND style.

The HS DBM increases COAL,if you groove that notion(I shoot them in s/a .378,.473 and .532) and it isn't a bad way to fly. Glen Seekin's 223 DBM is a great route and roomy. Or you can either go ADL(I've a few) or opt the various drop bottom BM's. I've 223AI's wearing both Badger M4 bottoms and the issue rEmmie potmetal junk.

With a clue and a thunk to both twist and throating,you can easily do it all and then some. While stupidity is often tough to watch(poor BMD here),folks can reliably see the light and ring the bell at another's expense.

Assuredly,this Thread will inspire more useful blueprints and a 700 based fast twist 223AI is rather quite a machine...............

Thanks. That helps.

Travis

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 65BR

Think of just how �old tech� those Buffalo hunters were, yet they nearly made the Buffalo extinct, kills of very long distances were documented. The hunters/shooters KNEW their rifles, thru experience.

Rifle gack aside, some who extrapolate think that probably never happened. To many buffalo-an estimated 70million at their peak. Not enough shooters and those who did shoot certainly could not not roll enough bullets, in the short time frame the buffalo essentially disappeared to kill that many.

Their thoughts are that our cattle infected them with disease to which they had no immunity.

However, those who did the work certainly knew their equipment.

Last edited by battue; 10/25/09.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BMD
Batt may have been quick on the azzhat, but the rifle was built for light weight bullets and I did look north on the twist straight to Karl himself, I have zero use for heavier bullets in the swift. (as it turned out I was spot on With the azzhat comment as this thread has shown).

Scott,

I extend my sympathy for having Larry here on your thread of your new rifle. I too have a Swift with the standard twist and find it superior for varmints here. For sure I don't want a ricochet and thats why I would not shoot heavier bullets. Thus the 1-14 twist is perfect and always was.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Where's JO now?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Spin the light ones faster and even less chance of ricochet than if sent in a slower twist. Just extrapolating.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In theory thats just fine. In most rifle detail debates there is more than one right answer.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Humorous to me,that anyone would even begin to muse a BP wearing irons,as being on the same page as what you can buy over the counter at Mart-Mart today.

Folks who think it rather "something" for someone to be steeped in more than one chambering,simply do not shoot much themselves and are a rather poor barometer of evaluation(s).

Hard to feign experience...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dumb Don,

You couldn't reliably poor piss out of a boot,if the instructions were on the heel.

I extend my sympathy on your IQ...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bingo...but don't go making sense,it really throws the Do-nothin' Gang for a loop...................

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Savage_99
In most rifle detail debates there is more than one right answer.

...another few thousand posts and you might accidentally stumble into one.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some people just don't get it, as they have a hankering to argue anything and everybody, venting their pent up frustrations due to some other underlying issues they face, and can not accept other viewpoints for their ego's give them a feeling a superiority in knowledge which blurs their vision. Help for them will not be on this board but in a clinical setting.

I am confident, that Kampfeld knows a thing or two, and would not allow their customer to waste hard earned dollars on something that was a rotten idea.

If those 14" 22s were so bad, wonder why they survived the test of time this long.

It's not about, mine's bigger than yours, faster/flatter, etc.

Fact is many setups inc. a 14" Swift is a great setup in it's own right, and if one is not shooting 1,000 yds regularly, the difference in practical meaningful terms is often moot.

If it drops or drifts more, you click or hold accordingly. At longer range, you have to compensate no matter what.

A 260 will slice the wind much better, and have less drop than 308s, but has the government changed to it? I guess the 308 just keeps doing what it's done all these years......and I would not want to be on the opposite end of a well trained 308 toting sniper.

I think that some just get envious of others nice equipment so they must stir the pot. All have a wonderful day.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I find it impossible to shift my brain into a low enough gear,to think upon your level.

A 1-14" .224" bore anything(save perhaps a lever Bee or a snug mag confine Hornet),is a brainfart of copious magnitude,despite that obvious going over your head.

Let me guess,you groove on the Bailout money being spent too,as that is commensurate with your very modest processing capabilities?!!?.......................

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

....you might be shocked that I built my 6BR with 8 twist to add flexibility, not to ONLY shoot the highest BC bullet possible....

Substitute 6BR with 220 Swift, and you are making ther same point I am. There's a reason you didn't twist your 6BR exclusively for 55s.

A hit is 95-99% of the equation if it's placed, and the OVERWHELMING factor is the shooter.

Beating the wind goes a long way toward making that hit. There's a reason 223 competitors shoot 75-90gr bullets at 1000 yards. The 55gr stuff just don't cut it. Bring those same heavies up to 220 Swift velocities and you have a real serious 1000+ yard rifle. Hobble it with 1/14 twist and you just castrated it.

There's a lot of room for choices on actions, stocks, barrels, mounts, etc. Lots of good quality choices out there and the differences can be subjective. Twist rate on the other hand is a very real and hard choice. A 1/14 Swift will be hobbled regardless of receiver, stock, barrel, glass, etc. A 1/8 or 1/9 will shine at Swift velocities.

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
directed at no person(s) in particular ... but lots here are acting as if a fast twist and light for caliber bullets are a mutually exclusive deal, when in fact they are not.

Twisting slowly ONLY closes doors, regardless of what you think you'll do with your bullet selection over the life of the rifle.

If you literally couldn't shoot lighter bullets (with accuracy) in a fast twisted barrel, that would be someone different ... but again, that's simply not the case.

Regardless of the chambering, when given the opportunity you should always throat/twist for the widest range of options, as there's simply no logical reason not to ...

-WGM-
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm not going to buy a vehicle with a max towing capacity of 2,000 pounds because my boat weighs 1,995 pounds.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WGM
when given the opportunity you should always throat/twist for the widest range of options, as there's simply no logical reason not to ...

Really?

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yes, really ...

-WGM-
Page 8 of 16 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (222ND, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 219DW, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,556 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,485
Posts18,529,729
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.