-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tho a bit heavy for backpacking/mountain hunting, I just love 'em. I only have one & it's a .270 Win. made in 1953. It was bubba'ed up but I've got the original stock which I replaced with an H-S Precision. I know, I know, H-S doesn't make 'em for a pre-64. Well, my smith was able to modify it & bed it to work just fine tho a bit on the heavy side. To this day, she'll easily shoot 150 Partitions into 3/4".
Too bad my Kimber, .270 WSM won't do that. More like a pattern with that one. Yup!! Gotta love the pre-64's.
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

HR IC

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I like them alright but dont have the "itis"
I had one in 270 looked like its been through a war or two was going to rebarrel it one day but I sold it to a guy in Selma who drove all the way up to north al to pick it up and was tickled to get it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Blaine,
I'm still searching for the right one; like you I am looking for one with the barrel stamped 300 H&H Magnum, but I want the original...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
AFP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Gun Broker has a few, as does Guns International. There were even a couple on Guns America. However, I think the prices are too high, because many of those rifles have been on auction or for sale for a long time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blaine
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
too bad most pre 64 guys stick their heads in the sand on how good the new model 70's are

The new M-70s are fine and I have several, but the quality of workmanship in the pre '64s considerably outweighs the minor design improvements in the new models. I would expect a new rifle built to the quality of a mid 50s M-70 would cost $2000 - $3000 today. I guess a Dakota 76 comes the closest to replicating the quailty of a pre 64.

thats funny many of the ones I have seen look like they were machined with a dul hacksaw in areas below the wood line and areas that were not easily seen. I think someone should do some close up pics of an early 50's pre 64 out of the stock do the same with a new SC model 70, my money is on the new one being machined cleaner

Last edited by cumminscowboy; 10/27/09.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Blaine,
I'm still searching for the right one; like you I am looking for one with the barrel stamped 300 H&H Magnum, but I want the original...

Go for one like mine, simply stamped "300 Magnum"

I love the stamps on the pre-1950 guns. ".270 W.C.F." and ".30 Gov't '06"

Purrrrrrrrr...

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It is a 300 Ack with a 40 degree shoulder. I wanted to find one in Ack or Wby. I mean, it's just bad form to admit rechambering a 300 H&H as nice as this one. So my first choice was to find one already recut, my second choice was to find a rougher one them rechamber and refinish it.

Yes, I know the 300 H&H is a fine round, but given this rifle is likely going to be 9 lbs with scope, I wanted to get added performance for the weight.

Lucky you to find what you want, in great condition like that, and Good on you for not butchering one up to get it! I've not heard of a .300Ack. What recipes does it use?

Last edited by BrettKoenecke; 10/27/09.

AFP Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It shoots about like a 300 Wby, and those are the loads most start with. The Ack might have a tiny bit more capacity, but I'm not sure.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They're my favorite bolt rifle...only Sav 1899s get me excited more, as far as guns go. I have only 1, but it's a pre-war .270.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lemme know if any of you are looking for a .338 Alaskan (1958) cause mine has been ignored for about 12 years now and is looking for a new home.
[Linked Image]

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
only one for me too. pre war, 22 hornet. it loves nosler 45gr. hornet bl. tips turkey over with gusto! hehe! D O M I T !

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It shoots about like a 300 Wby, and those are the loads most start with. The Ack might have a tiny bit more capacity, but I'm not sure.

Interesting, thanks for sharing that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gun Broker has a few, as does Guns International. There were even a couple on Guns America. However, I think the prices are too high, because many of those rifles have been on auction or for sale for a long time.

That's why I'm still searching for the "right" one grin

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
very nice 338

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No.

Jeff

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I fully recognize and acknowledge their "faults"....the Standards tend to be on the heavy side,and I never met a low-comb model that did not need restocking to suit me,although the Monte Carlo's are not bad,and the FW's handle just fine....the gas-handling system could have been better.Maybe they did not come in true "short actions",and are heavier than is fashionable today.Who cares?

The sound of the action working is not duplicated by any modern sporting rifle,and I can recognize the "snickety-snick" of a pre 64 across the room,sight unseen...the heat treat and fitting of the parts made them that way...

For me,years of use,many head of game,and carrying them all over the continent in various calibers has built a level of trust that is frankly lacking in other sporting rifles.There are very good reasons why "everything else"in bolt action hunting rifles gets compared to a pre 64 M70.....

If you handed me one in,say,30/06(or 270,300 H&H,or 375 H&H),cold,and threw me on a plane...or dumped me in Africa or Alaska with it,I would take it anywhere,for anything,and not have the slightest doubt that it would work,function,and go "bang", every time,and that it would hit where I aimed it,without any gunsmith magic,aftermarket parts,or tweaking by accuracy guru's,without doing anything other than sighting it in.......

Having messed with truckloads of manufactured rifles of other stripes,both past and current,there is no other mass-manufactured rifle of which I can absolutely say the same thing.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Treatment is expensive [Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I fully recognize and acknowledge their "faults"....the Standards tend to be on the heavy side,and I never met a low-comb model that did not need restocking to suit me,although the Monte Carlo's are not bad,and the FW's handle just fine....the gas-handling system could have been better.Maybe they did not come in true "short actions",and are heavier than is fashionable today.Who cares?

The sound of the action working is not duplicated by any modern sporting rifle,and I can recognize the "snickety-snick" of a pre 64 across the room,sight unseen...the heat treat and fitting of the parts made them that way...

For me,years of use,many head of game,and carrying them all over the continent in various calibers has built a level of trust that is frankly lacking in other sporting rifles.There are very good reasons why "everything else"in bolt action hunting rifles gets compared to a pre 64 M70.....

If you handed me one in,say,30/06(or 270,300 H&H,or 375 H&H),cold,and threw me on a plane...or dumped me in Africa or Alaska with it,I would take it anywhere,for anything,and not have the slightest doubt that it would work,function,and go "bang", every time,and that it would hit where I aimed it,without any gunsmith magic,aftermarket parts,or tweaking by accuracy guru's,without doing anything other than sighting it in.......

Having messed with truckloads of manufactured rifles of other stripes,both past and current,there is no other mass-manufactured rifle of which I can absolutely say the same thing.

AGREED! My only issue with them is that I can't use mine during the archery elk season....! smile

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I persoanlly witnessed one of the best 70 collections in the country. That does not make me an expert, but I have seen every cal in every config in mint, mint condition. I held the first 270 production rifle ever produced. Model 54 in 270. Serial #3. First 2 were 30-06. They are the best and are the gold standard for all rifles...

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Old Boy I cut with had over 200 and was most proud of his 9mm.

Not my cup of tea...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

273 members (17CalFan, 2500HD, 160user, 257 mag, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 26 invisible), 1,845 guests, and 951 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,368
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.