Hop To
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

But.... the fact that the insert is even marketable means that recognition of the no-safety problem is widespread.

As for that little threaded front sight pin, if it is prone to back out, Glock should of course have adressed the problem in the first place, loc-titing it at the factory if need be.

Birdwatcher

Anything to knock the Glock, eh Birdie?

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Anybody that even suggests the Glock is even in the same universe as a Colt 1911 is delusional. But that's just an opinion, take it for what it's worth. jore

Wouldn't even buy me a cup of coffee Jorge. The Glock spits bullets, accurately, and holds more than the 1911. You want to carry a 1911, fine, but don't knock Glocks, they're as good a pistol as the 1911...better in my estimation.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Show me where I knocked the Glock? in fact, I said it was a fine weapon. I just don't care for hammerless plastic guns with double stack magazines and I own a Kahr which I think is easier for me to carry. I owned a Glock sub-compact 40 for a while. Most uncomfortable auto I've ever owned. Bad? no! relaible? yes!. I didn't say Glocks were bad, not just in the same league as a 1911. And that's pure opinion, nothing more. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Show me where I knocked the Glock? in fact, I said it was a fine weapon. I just don't care for hammerless plastic guns with double stack magazines and I own a Kahr which I think is easier for me to carry. I owned a Glock sub-compact 40 for a while. Most uncomfortable auto I've ever owned. Bad? no! relaible? yes!. I didn't say Glocks were bad, not just in the same league as a 1911. And that's pure opinion, nothing more. jorge
I agree with everything you've said here. I sold my last Glock earlier this year, and I too much prefer Kahrs and 1911s.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Show me where I knocked the Glock? �jorge

Anybody that even suggests the Glock is even in the same universe as a Colt 1911 is delusional� jore

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I didn't concede anything about the holster being the safety on a Glock. That's ridiculous.

As the years fly by I'm discovering that I've been at this handgun thing rather a long time now, long enough to remember the Glock factory recommendations when the design first came out. Yep, the factory holster on a Glock is the safety.

Anyhow, these guys claim to know a lot about Glocks, they feel the same way I do...

[u][color:#FF0000]Only a complete fool would carry a Glock without it being holstered[/color][/u].

Anything to knock the Glock, eh Birdie?

???

Ya asked for opinions, I pointed out two very real design flaws.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
As the years fly by I'm discovering that I've been at this handgun thing rather a long time now, long enough to remember the Glock factory recommendations when the design first came out. Yep, the factory holster on a Glock is the safety.

Anyhow, these guys claim to know a lot about Glocks, they feel the same way I do...

[color:#FF0000]Only a complete fool would carry a Glock without it being holstered[/color][/u].

Ya asked for opinions, I pointed out two very real design flaws.

Birdwatcher

Design flaw schmesign flaws. You add a little drop of loc-tite to the screw and your sight is good to go. You wouldn�t happen to know how many of the Glock front sights are �jumping� off their pistols would you?

Additionally, I don�t care that Glock said the holster is the safety, IF they said that. What is undeniable is ALL holsters cover the trigger guard and the trigger. Glock�s holster is no more or less secure than any other quality holster on the market. Furthermore, how do you figure that�s a [u]design flaw, if it�s even true?

I don't think carrying a Glock tucked into your belt in the small of your back is any more hazardous than carrying another type of handgun that way (sans holster).

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
I don't think...

That's apparent.

Both Uncle Mike's and Fobus have recalled Glock holsters because the retention strap can catch the trigger while holstering and fire the pistol. Your foot is begging you - don't slide a Glock trigger under your belt.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All my CCW hand guns with the exception of the J frames have adjustable sights none have ever broken....

Last edited by temmi; 10/27/09. Reason: to make it english

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't think carrying a Glock tucked into your belt in the small of your back is any more hazardous than carrying another type of handgun that way (sans holster).

You�d better re-think that one friend. NO trigger cocking gun that doesn�t have a positive manual safety (one that�s not located on the trigger) should ever be carried Mexican style; that�s the stuff of natural selection. If you truly are a member of the law enforcement community, you should be aware of the many documented cases of Glocks going off during re-holstering (oh, and it�s not just Glocks, it�s endemic to all the trigger cocking pistols that lack a manual safety). If you have a loose shirt tail, debris or on rare occasion, even a thumb strap can find its way into the trigger guard while someone is pushing the pistol into the holster. It�s happened on more than one occasion. Now, I�m a full believer in the FACT that the vast majority of ND�s with Glocks (and all other handguns) is because someone has put their finger on the trigger and pulled it when they shouldn�t have. But, within the LE community, it is not a secret that one can run into surprises with a Glock (I pick on Glock because it�s really the LE standard, but all should know that this applies to all pistols in that classification).

So, even with a trained law enforcement officer, with proper gunleather; incidents have happened. Now consider the disaster you�re courting when you remove the added safety of a proper holster�that�s playing with too much fire if you ask me.

If you insist on carrying a trigger cocking weapon (Glock, Kahr, XD, Taurus, S&W Sigma or M&P), then do yourself a favor and use proper gunleather. This is the same sound advice that the manufacturers of all of the pistols in question would give you.

And I don�t consider this to necessarily be a design flaw, it�s just an idiosyncrasy of the design. Know Thy Equipment!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kevin, perhaps you have access to more first hand accounts of AD's than I do presently, so in your estimation, how many cases are there of a mechanical failure using Glocks as opposed to the operator of said weapon not properly trained ie trigger finger enguaged......? In all my LE years I've heard of many, many AD's and practically none were the weapons fault.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Dude, that's just plain nuts. The Glock essentially has no safety, and it's ready condition is cocked with a round in the chamber, no safety.

PS Putting the "safety" on the front of the trigger of a semi-auto makes about as much sense as engraving the combination to your gun safe on the dial face.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
It's not cocked any more than a double action revolver is cocked when the cylinder is full and the hammer is down. The Glock striker is not under any spring tension until the trigger pull moves the striker rearward, then releases it...just like a DA revolver.

M
Mak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm sure people here will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that Mr. Glock had no prior experience as a firearm designer before arriving at his now famous pistol.
The use of various safety devices has been widely documented as useful over the decades, and my theory is that Mr. Glock left them all off his pistol for reasons of profit. I was attacked earlier for pointing out that Mr. Glock conceived an ingenious business plan, but that plan does not equate to equal genius in regards to pistol design. I think the lack of override safeties proves this point.
Again, it has been a while, but I recall in the analysis of the striker fire system, the firing pin is "partially" cocked. Glock is, like any manufacturer, subject to a wide array of junk lawsuits, but more than a few seem to be associated with "accidental discharge".
I am searching my memory right now, I believe the last high profile law suit was filed in the midwest, and involved an officer shooting where the officer claimed his Glock just mysteriously "went off".
It is somewhat disingenuous to describe the trigger as a safety, or a pistol without external safeties as "safe action", but then there is always marketing, with its bombastic claims.
Honestly, the Glock is just like any other human engineered design-it has strengths, and weaknesses.
Hopefully, we can all agree that the Glock is a good, reliable weapon if handled and operated correctly. Where we will diverge is at the claim that Glock is the best pistol.
In order to be the best, any one design must excel in the categories of accuracy, cartridge strength, reliability, and ergonomics. The Glock lags in two of the four. This does not cancel it out as a good weapon, but it does prevent it from being the best.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by JOG
I don't think...

That's apparent.

I'll catch you out of context sooner or later. Cheap shot.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
It's not cocked any more than a double action revolver is cocked when the cylinder is full and the hammer is down. The Glock striker is not under any spring tension until the trigger pull moves the striker rearward, then releases it...just like a DA revolver.
Might as well be fully cocked when you consider the pounds pressure and distance traveled needed to fire it.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by KevinGibson

You�d better re-think that one friend. NO trigger cocking gun that doesn�t have a positive manual safety (one that�s not located on the trigger) should ever be carried Mexican style; that�s the stuff of natural selection.

Can you say Plaxico Burress?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Show me where I knocked the Glock? �jorge

Anybody that even suggests the Glock is even in the same universe as a Colt 1911 is delusional� jore

That is not knocking the Glock, but I'll put it another way; A Laphroaig 10 year old Single Malt is a fine whisky but it's not in the same universe as the 25 year old Talisker. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I give up Jorge; you win. I drink Bud Light.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He's a tough nut to crack..................... grin

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

100 members (21, 35, 7887mm08, afisher, 257_X_50, 9 invisible), 913 guests, and 842 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,978
Posts18,519,917
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.