Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I've had the misfortune of being present and seeing three NDs in my life. The weapon in all three NDs was a revolver.

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
I've had the misfortune of being present and seeing three NDs in my life. The weapon in all three NDs was a revolver.
Hard to believe, unless those folks had the poor judgment to cock the hammer on a live round anywhere other than at a range.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Hard to believe, unless those folks had the poor judgment to cock the hammer on a live round anywhere other than at a range.

Hard to believe as in I'm being less than truthful?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Kevin, perhaps you have access to more first hand accounts of AD's than I do presently, so in your estimation, how many cases are there of a mechanical failure using Glocks as opposed to the operator of said weapon not properly trained ie trigger finger enguaged......? In all my LE years I've heard of many, many AD's and practically none were the weapons fault.
I think you misread what I was getting at. I don't believe at any point I said or even implied that the Glock was at fault for the ND's I was making reference to. I was talking about situations where things have found their way inside the trigger guard when an officer was re-holstering. In such situations, the trigger cocking design that lacks a manual safety sort of sets you up for failure. So this is perhaps an equipment "system" failure, and a big part of that "system" is the user. Still, if you're re-holstering while keeping your eyes on a potential threat, and the thumb strap gets inside the trigger guard, you would have to at least consider your equipment; either pistol or holster. I have seen such alerts that have gone out to LE agencies.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's not cocked any more than a double action revolver is cocked when the cylinder is full and the hammer is down. The Glock striker is not under any spring tension until the trigger pull moves the striker rearward, then releases it...just like a DA revolver.
That's not true at all, the Glock's striker is about 1/3 of the the way back in a "staged" position to improve trigger pulls; the reason that a Glock has a much lighter trigger pull than the trigger cocking Taurus.

Which brings us up to the second point, the trigger pull on a glock is about 50% shorter and between 30-40% lighter than a revolver. A Glock is not as "inherently safe" as a revolver. The same principles certainly apply, but the two are not the same.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll catch you out of context sooner or later. Cheap shot.
Well, apparently you're not catching the hint our esteemed Mr. JOG is trying to give you. Myself and several others have tried to set you straight on several issues, yet your inaccuracies persist. I would suggest you stick to what you truely know, which is quite obviously not defensive pistols.

It seems apparent to me that you choose a Glock for personal defense; bully for you. Some have taken some pot shots at your prefered blaster and you're offended by that (problem #1, you attach ego to your choice in equipment, that's a mistake). So you wade into an arguement with information you wrongly assume is correct (problem 2, you're making the wrong assumptions about the pistol in question, and your general knowledge of the subject), and lastly you're taking shots at those whom are far more qualified to speak on the subject at hand, which is problem #3.

Now, you would be well advised to park your ego at the door, sit back and do a whole lot more reading than posting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think we are are the same page now and thanks for clearing that up. I actually wasn't trying to say that you said or implied that, rather it just seemed that some on this thread do a whole lot of reading (googling) a little doing as they were jawing all the faults of the Glock design.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
With decent leather or kydex, I'd happily work with a Glock, or H&K, or N-Frame, or Beretta, or....

You get the idea. And I may "Mexican holster" a DA in a pinch. But a Glock? I have more appreciation for my "yam-bag" than that.... grin

Travis

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
If you insist on carrying a trigger cocking weapon (Glock, Kahr, XD, Taurus, S&W Sigma or M&P), then do yourself a favor and use proper gunleather. This is the same sound advice that the manufacturers of all of the pistols in question would give you.

Kevin (or anyone), are you familiar with the Blackhawk Serpa holster? If so, do you consider this inadequate or proper "gunleather" for a trigger cocking weapon? Thanks!

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I know many that use, and love, that holster on trigger cocking weapons.

Travis

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What reasons do they cite?

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ivan
If you insist on carrying a trigger cocking weapon (Glock, Kahr, XD, Taurus, S&W Sigma or M&P), then do yourself a favor and use proper gunleather. This is the same sound advice that the manufacturers of all of the pistols in question would give you.

Kevin (or anyone), are you familiar with the Blackhawk Serpa holster? If so, do you consider this inadequate or proper "gunleather" for a trigger cocking weapon? Thanks!

I have no direct experience with that product

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG
I don't think...

That's apparent.

I'll catch you out of context sooner or later. Cheap shot.

Not at all, I'm just trying to snap you back to reality in case you actually believe what you're typing. I'm not convinced you're not arguing goofy stuff just for giggles.

So lets stick with simple physics and waistband carry. As you slide the Glock into your waistband friction can pull the trigger. Bang. Less likely, the trigger can be pulled by friction if the pistol starts sliding around.

With a revolver, the hammer can be held forward when you slide the pistol into your waistband. The hammer now acting as the external safety I mentioned earlier when I still didn't think it was necessary to explain the obvious to you. No bang. In addition, for a revolver to fire the cylinder must rotate. It would be quite a trick for the cylinder to overcome the friction in your waistband, as enough pressure is applied to trigger, and while there's enough clearance for the hammer to DA cycle.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's not cocked any more than a double action revolver is cocked when the cylinder is full and the hammer is down. The Glock striker is not under any spring tension until the trigger pull moves the striker rearward, then releases it...just like a DA revolver.
That's not true at all, the Glock's striker is about 1/3 of the the way back in a "staged" position to improve trigger pulls; the reason that a Glock has a much lighter trigger pull than the trigger cocking Taurus.

Exactly, yet the staged Glock trigger is classified by the ATF as 'double action only' since the striker is not fully cocked - a classification that fools some folks. By comparison, the Springfield XD striker is fully cocked by the slide and classified as 'single action'.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think we are are the same page now and thanks for clearing that up. I actually wasn't trying to say that you said or implied that, rather it just seemed that some on this thread do a whole lot of reading (googling) a little doing as they were jawing all the faults of the Glock design.

??? Aimed at me I expect.

I've had a Glock 19 for I dunno how long, since well before Texas passed its CHL law.

I know this on account of it sits in the safe for years until time comes for me and my wife to renew (here in Texas, if ya want the option of carrying an auto you have to qualify with an auto). We have both renewed twice since first getting the license IIRC, not sure how many years that adds up to.

All the more surprising then that such a lightly-used pistol would lose the front site. Like the 'smith said, browsing around revealed that it aint that uncommon.

I LIKE the pistol, just cannot reconcile it to the sort of carry we practice. In this warm climate one would have to dress around a belt holster designed to cover that de-facto single action-no safety trigger, a hard trick to pull off when yer in daily contact with in-laws and such.

The 8lb trigger spring helps a little, but mostly I got that installed for the same reason some police agencies do; so it would be less likely to pull the trigger in a time of stress, like when warning off an attacker at gun point.

My OTHER Glock was a 29 (?? Glock 19-sized .45acp) I had the 12 lb trigger set up installed on that one, still didn't turn it into a DA revolver trigger though.

On my Glock 29 my biggest beef was the tall kill switch.... ..er.. ...magazine release sticking out of the side.

This overly tall mag release seems to be a design flaw on many stock Glocks.

I am a lefty, in the brief period I experimented with waist pack carry with it the tall mag release was depressed by contact during carry enough times that I couldn't trust it.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
What reasons do they cite?

Secure, easy to draw and reholster. The typical things guys dig in a duty rig.

Travis

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Hard to believe as in I'm being less than truthful?
No, hard to believe as in if Mother Theresa told me, I'd still find it hard to believe.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Several shooting schools ban the use of the Serpa on their ranges. The reason being the Serpa "trains" you to bend your trigger finger to activate the release and as a result there have been several AD's with guys drawing striker fired guns (like Glocks) with their trigger fingers bent, in motion, and ending up on the trigger prematurely.

Tactical Response Serpa policy
Why no Serpa holsters?
An answer from our friend Paul Gomez: Begin Quote �Over the last year, I have developed some serious concerns with the Blackhawk Serpa Active Retention holster design. Various persons have brought these concerns to the attention of Blackhawk on several occasions and Blackhawk has chosen to ignore these very real issues.

The �Serpa Active Retention� design consists of a plastic L-shaped component which functions as the release button [from the outside of the holster] and as the lock [which engages inside the trigger guard]. The short leg of the L-shaped lever pivots inward [toward the pistol], while the locking tab pivots outward to release the pistol from the holster.

According to the Blackhawk website, �The release is made using your normal drawing motion, with the trigger finger beside the holster body. � As your trigger finger naturally comes to rest on the SERPA lock�s release mechanism, simply push the mechanism as you draw the weapon and it releases the gun for a smooth, fast draw.�

While Blackhawk may intend for the end-user to apply inboard pressure with the flat of the index finger, under stress, shooters tend to push the button with the tip of their index finger. After all, this is the manner in which most people have the most repetitions pushing buttons such as keys on a keypad or phone or ringing doorbells. When the finger pushes in on the release button and the user initiates the upward motion of the draw stroke, the finger tends to stay in motion and as the trigger guard clears the holster, the finger enters the trigger guard and contacts the trigger, with possibly tragic results.

I am aware of two instances where trained personnel have shot themselves using this holster in conjunction with Glock pistols. In August of 2004, a situation occurred with a live weapon that resulted in the shooter losing a 10cm piece of her femur. The other occurred with nonlethal training ammunitions in a force-on-force event in April of 2005. The impact of the NLTA was in the same area as the actual gunshot wound previously mentioned.

Following each of these events, Blackhawk was contacted and advised of the problems observed and concerns raised. In the first instance, they claimed that they were unaware of any previous issues with the design and insisted that the design had been �thoroughly tested by law enforcement and military personnel�.

After the second event, they were contacted by at least two people. Again, they stated that they were unaware of any concerns and had heard nothing similar from any sources.� End Quote

Suarez International Serpa Policy
We do not allow the BlackHawk CQC SERPA Holster - Active Retention design because it requires the trigger finger to be doing something other than indexing along the frame of the pistol during the draw stroke.

Simply put...the Serpa is a poorly designed but brilliantly marketed holster that causes a user to press in with the finger tip as they draw their pistol. In many cases it ends up with the trigger finger right on the trigger (and pressing inward) prematurely. In other words...long before it would be safe to do so. I am aware of five situations at other schools where this has caused an AD on the range. Twice where it led so a self-inflicted gunshot. And these guys were either highly experienced shooters of seasoned operators. Twice I have personally seen in it force on force. If I allow a holster like that in class, having seen the problems and knowing the problems, and a student shoots themselves...it really would be my fault. As I understand it several other schools disallow these holsters.

Last edited by jds44; 10/28/09. Reason: clarification
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Interesting read jds. Makes sense.

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Interesting read jds. Makes sense.

Travis

Surprised me too. Thanks for posting it jds.

Another case of trying to fix with hardware what maybe should be fixed with software?

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

171 members (1OntarioJim, achadwick, Amos63, 30incher, AceBall, 257_X_50, 18 invisible), 1,096 guests, and 971 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,979
Posts18,519,934
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.