Print Thread
Hop To
K
Kelk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Looking at upgrading to a real backpack for elk hunting here in CO.

The biggest problem I have with back packs, is finding one that fits me well. I'm of pretty small stature and getting things cinched down and fitting right is hard for me with most packs. The few I have are all low dollar units and seem to come apart after a few years and don't fit well.

Been reading all the rave reviews on the MR stuff and especially the Crew Cab. So I was thinking of making the jump.

Sorry to be long winded, but here is the question.

I'm 5'5" tall and weigh about 120 #'s. Will this pack have enough adjustment to fit properly on my small frame? No local retailers I know carry these so its impossible to try one at a store. I'm hesitant to plunk down the money for something that may not fit right. I know most things can be returned but would rather not have to hassle with it as its not fun for either party.

I've got a Kelty Freighter pack frame that actually does fit well and have enough adjustment. I'd like to hear all thoughts or suggestions you may have.

We tend to hike in, in the morning and back out to base camp at night. But, I'm getting more into the mindset to possibly do some spike camps in the future for a day or two at a time.

First post in the BP forum. Lots of good info here. Thanks

Kelk

Shut up and hunt!
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Do you know your torso length? More important than your height the distance from your C7 to your illiac crest is a measurement used by most if not all pack makers to determine what size pack you need. Check out any of the prominent pack maker's sites to see how to get this measurement. Hipbelts come in a variety of sizes also.
Any pack maker worth their weight in salt would be willing to help you get the sizing correct to get you into one of their packs. IME Gregory, Osprey, and a local dealer that carried Lowe and Black Diamond were all very helpful with sizing/fitting various packs.

Last edited by bluffview; 10/28/09.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I would strongly suggest calling Mystery Ranch and talking it over with them. I've always found them helpful, and of course they know their packs incredibly well. I am a crew cab user, and for the types of hunting you're describing it seems like a great match. Good luck!

K
Kelk Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Thank you gentleman for your responses.

I'm indeed getting to be a more serious elk hunter and think an upgrade in gear would sure help.

I'll contact the people at MR and talk it over with them. Hoping to buy myself this pack before summer so I can get used to it before elk season.

Shut up and hunt!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Kelk,
I'm 5'6" and 130, and have tried on the crew cabs and they do go small enough. My old dana design pack is a medium torso and waist belt and works but is a just a tad small, so I'd assume a small/small would work great.
Good to know I'm not the smallest guy on the forum. wink

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Fort Collins eh? You might want to add this to your Research...
KIFARU INTERNATIONAL
4894 VanGordon St.
Ste. 305
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
U.S.A.

GPS: N 39* 47.213
_____W 105* 08.067

1-800-222-6139 or 303-278-9155

You could check one out in person easy enough and get fitted right there.
Not that I am trying to steer you away from MR - I have the CC and 6500 combo and know they are fine packs. Just seems you are somewhat close Kifaru it might be worth the time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Definately call MR. They'll be able to give you the sizing info over the phone. You can then decide whether you want to spring for a new one, or wait to pick one up used; there's a CC frame in the classifieds right now and I saw a Longbow a few days ago.

Whichever way you go,you will really love their packs.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
If they can make one fit you, the crew cab seems like it would be a great fit for your style of hunting. I pretty much hunt the same way and like mine more all the time.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

121 members (6MMWASP, 673, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 1minute, 29aholic, 11 invisible), 1,832 guests, and 915 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,758
Posts18,514,941
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.