Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
cmfic1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Before this gets too far, I in no way intend this to be an MRC bashing post!

I have a Rifle built on an MRC bbl'ed action, I intend to take it to Alaska this Fall for Brown Bear & Africa next for Cape Buffalo & was wondering what "issues" people have had with them. That way I can check/observe/fix any problems that may arise in the future. Currently I have approx. 200 rounds through it without much problem (2nd round doesnt eject strongly), therefore I ordered a Follower from Brownells & an Extractor from Williams.

I might add that I have used the search function, but being at work & having limited time to sit in front of the PC. I thought I would start a post to try and simplify things and make it a little faster.

Thanx for your time.

GB1

cmfic1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Before this gets too far, I in no way intend this to be an MRC bashing post!

I have a Rifle built on an MRC bbl'ed action, I intend to take it to Alaska this Fall for Brown Bear & Africa next for Cape Buffalo & was wondering what "issues" people have had with them. That way I can check/observe/fix any problems that may arise in the future. Currently I have approx. 200 rounds through it without much problem (2nd round doesnt eject strongly), therefore I ordered a Follower from Brownells & an Extractor from Williams.

I might add that I have used the search function, but being at work & having limited time to sit in front of the PC. I thought I would start a post to try and simplify things and make it a little faster.

Thanx for your time.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have three of them--a 6.5 Swede, 338-06 and .35 Whelen. I like them a lot. Early on I had to get them to change the firing pin spring to a stronger one because of misfires, which they now use as new issue. The safety on the Whelen is very stiff, and they told me to send it back for a fix which I haven't done yet. If I was going to Alaska of Africa, that would be a given. These were all purchased with the orginal charter issue, and I understand the bugs are pretty well worked out. They make excellent barrels, and the actions are all I could ask for.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll tell you what I know about mine.

I bought a LH SA CM MRC last fall and sent it off to be built into a 7mm-08. (See pictures elsewhere in this forum if interested.) The gunsmith who built it for me told me it had MAJOR feeding issues and would stovepipe every round when he started. He said he did "some work" to the rails and follower and everything feeds just fine now. He installed a Williams CM extractor and blued it at my request; this required some fitting and wasn't drop-in as on my Model 70 WSM.

Those are all of the details I currently have, since the gun is still enroute to me. (UPS is scheduled to deliver it on 7-3-07.)

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Here is a photo of a M99 action I bought from the charter run as it came from MRC.

[Linked Image]

This one came with the Williams extractor, and I have not noted any other issues with it. This was was made up into a .450 Lott rifle by Jim Brockman.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've recieved one, a long action right hand stainless in 30-06. Haven't fired it yet so my experience is somewhat limited. Since I've recieved it I've cycled probably 1000 dummy rounds through it just to smooth the action. The action is very smooth now.

Originally one of the feed rails had a small rough spot that would scratch the brass as it would feed. A very light sand with 500 grit and polishing fixed it. I think cycleing all the rounds helped as well.

The CRF has been excellent straight from the factory. I've only used a couple of different bullets in the dummy loads, 150's and 165's, but the 165's were seated very long (to long for MRC's chamber/for another 06 I have) and the 150's matched to factory length. Both were controlled and fed great.

The safety on mine is stiff also but seems to work fine. After I get it bedded and scoped I'll evaluate it a little more as I'm working up a load.

JCM

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I converted a CZ Model 3(these are built on the MRC action and barrel) in 300WSM to a 450 Marlin bolt gun, found that it consistently had light primer hits so we put in a winchester firing pin spring and no more problems with light hits.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O

I've got 2 of the Charter buy actions and have had no problems with them. One is a 25-284 that they barreled for me and the other is a .350 Rem. Mag. that Mickey Coleman barreled with a Douglas tube. They both are throated to take advantage of the 3.1"ish mag box. They both shoot and feed very well. They are getting smoother as I use them, too.

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting info folks. I just ordered a short action that will become the basis of my all weather deer rifle in .257 Bob. We'll see in 90 days or so what the action looks like.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
cmfic1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
So I ordered a new Extractor from Williams, & a Follower from Midway for my MRC .416 Rem. I have read of problems with light Firing Pin hits & people replacing them with a Mod 70 Pin. I was browsing Midways site, and found this Tubb SpeedLock Systems Firing Pin and Spring

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/productview?saleitemid=211832&t=11082005

Anybody have any experience with them? or should I just get the standard Win. parts? Is this even compatable with the MRC?

Thanx for your help.

IC B3

cmfic1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Nobody knows about these?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Not about MRC actions, since I don't have one, but when I had problems with a pin striking, but not igniting, the primer, I changed away from CCI primers and the problem went away. It seemed easier than changing mechanicals.

Jaywalker

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
For a hunting rifle, I'm not totally sold on the Tubbs kit. No good reason really. It just isn't any advantage. I do sometimes prefer a slightly heavier striker spring (I use the Wolff Blitzshnells)if the stock spring seems borderline or if I expect to be hunting in real adverse conditions. We all like to think the manufacturer has the ideal striker spring rate all figured out but this is not always the case. Gd

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
On a hunting rifle I would choose a heavier firing pin and a stronger spring (within reason!) to ensure ignition. I would also leave the speed lock stuff for the target shooters (something Mr. Tubb is really good at).

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The only problem with MRC actions was very early on one group of springs wasn't quite right, all were recalled and replaced. Trying to Mickey Mouse parts right off the bat doesn't seem prudent. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

MRC has available heavier springs if you prefer, and it's not likely the firing pins if set up properly, have anything to do with the problems you "heard".

Used to be bobski, member since '01
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I had the problem with misfires and had to send the rifle back to MRC twice to get it resolved. First time, they replaced the pin and spring which helped but did not fully remedy the situation. Second time they replaced the cocking piece and it hasn't misfired since. I believe I'd start by contacting MRC as they can provide the correct stuff and it will still be under warranty.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
It has been a while but I have the first pictures from Jim Dubell at Delta Guns Shop of the finished metalwork on the barreled action. I should have it in hand in a few weeks. I think this might be the finest looking MRC 1999 SA I have seen to date!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

It has a modified bolt release, modified floorplate release, larger new pear shaped bolt handle, double square bridge scope mounts for Talleys, Rechnagel 3 leaf [one standing two folding] barrel banded rear sight, NECG barrel banded front sight with hood, stoned and polished action, trigger job,lugs and barrel lapped, recontouring the trigger guard bow, and cut the draft on the bottom metal.

I think I got it all down, but I may have missed something by not going back through my notes and Jim's e-mails

cmfic1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Nice looking Action you got there 333.

What, if you dont mind me asking did all that work set you back?

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P.S. Now that this gun is done I have to say it is the best investment I have made. I made a choice of going for the MRC instead of fixing up and old Mauser ation for personal reasons and will never be sad. The action is smooth as glass and tight. It is a big gun with a 25.5 inch barrel and a 15 inch LOP, but I am 6'8" and 300 pounds. Accuracy is just what I can hold and has proven itself as can be seen in the 305 yard target.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I bought one of their first charter issue LH short actions.
I had them barrel it in a 358win, polish the outside and interior receiver, square it, lap their barrel and put a recessed crown.
I had them send it across town to Serengetti to stock it, then they sent it back to MRC for glass bedding and a nice matte blue finish.
I've had the rifle now 6 years and have never had issue one with the gun or it's function. It's shoots my reloads very well.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"The older I get, the better I was"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (1badf350, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 219DW, 222ND, 48 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,290
Posts18,505,238
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.