Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Colorado Elk Hunt 2009 Journal

(not sure if the pics will embed in this or not)

Arrived at our campsite on Thursday. Drove up a muddy road for 6 miles to a spot very close to the wilderness boundary. Set up camp and enjoyed the warm evening. On Friday I took a hike into an area I wanted to check out 2 miles in. Found some older tracks. Got a good nights rest that evening and then up at 4 AM for the long hike in the dark. Set up at the edge of a rocky park but saw nothing all AM. Another mile away we spent the evening at another large meadow. Not a lot of sign here either and we saw nothing.

[img]http://www5.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=508740025/PictureID=15396915025/a=470228025_470228025/[/img]

On Sunday we decided to hunt closer to our campsite. In the AM a cow and calf sauntered by my stand site at 20 yards. They were headed to my buddies stand site so I let them pass by me. When they got within 30 yards of him they spooked probably because of the wind. My friend didn�t see them till they spooked and didn�t risk a shot at a running elk. That evening we saw nothing.

The next morning we hiked in a bit more and sett up in two different meadows. A front came through early and it began to freezing rain. I quickly put on my rain gear and put some things back in my pack. About 20 mins. later a cow and 2 calves came in behind me at about 30 yards and trotting. I thought about taking one but had decided I would wait until Wed. to take a cow (I had a cow and bull tags but only wanted to tag one animal). In the afternoon we visited a different park area that had an upper and lower meadow. Here we found LOTS of sign in the form of fresh tracks and droppings. We set up some blinds to hunt in the afternoon and caught a cat nap in the sun. Unfortunately nothing showed that night.

[img]http://www5.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=508740025/PictureID=15396317025/a=470228025_470228025/[/img]

Tuesday we again took a day to hunt closer to camp. There were more hunters hunting here and we thought they may get the elk moving around. We watched a semi-open hillside but saw nothing all AM. We took the evening off and went to check out a bull in another camp that a guy had harvested on Sunday. It was a beautiful chocolate heavy 5 point� Inspiring

The next AM we were off into the wilderness area. We headed to an area near where I�d seen the cow and 2 calves. Bothe of us walked up on elk in the dark in different areas that mewed at us. I used my Hoochie Mamma to mew back and backed out of there and set up close by. I saw 6 mule deer come through and then bed 60 yards away. Never saw the elk though. That PM we hiked back out to camp so I could call my wife on the cell. We hunted close to camp that night and again saw nothing.

Thursday I hunted a spot I was told about where several drainages came together It was only about a mile from camp. There was a freezing precip and thick fog all AM, could only see about 50 yards. 4 mule deer came by at 5 yards. I was able to snap a few photos of them before they moved on. Cool, but no elk. That evening set up on a hillside park, saw sign but no elk.

The next AM we awoke to the sound of precip pelting the tent. Sounded like rain. We decided to sleep some more. At 7AM I still heard it so I rolled over again. Next thing I know It�s 1PM. Ive� probably never slept that long before. Must have needed it. We hung around camp till later in afternoon then headed back out to the park area in the wilderness that showed so much sign earlier in the week. Got in there a bit later that we would have liked but as we snuck up on the meadow I could see elk out in it. I got really excited. They seemed relaxed and our wind was good. As we settled in to see what there was in there the 4 cows turned and walked slowly back into the woods across the meadow from us. I repositioned a bit to get a better look at the rest of the meadow and saw a lone bull and several other cows.

My partner and I raised our guns to find rests on opposing trees. He shot first a calf and missed. At the report the elk trotted a short distance seemingly confused as to what to do. The bull walked right into my lane and stopped broadside He was a beautiful site to behold and I admired him for a few seconds. Then I leveled my 200 yard dot just behind his shoulder and squeezed one off. At the report his front knees buckled but he stayed up and took 4 or 5 steps forward. He wobbled a bit and then went down on his side. I was so pumped. At this the rest of the cows came in a row 100 yards in front of us. We both hit our hoochies and the stopped. My buddy then took one of the cows he had a clear shot at. We were done, well not really, better said it had begun. These being our first elk we had little idea of the amount of work that lay ahead of us in that meadow.

[img]http://www5.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=508740025/PictureID=15396912025/a=470228025_470228025/[/img]

We dressed them out and both took a hind quarter back to camp, 2 miles away. We made another trip that night and got back around 1:45AM. We got 4 hours sleep and were back in there at first light to finish the packing out. It took 2 more trips.

[img]http://www5.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=508740025/PictureID=15396310025/a=470228025_470228025/[/img]

I was using a custom built rifle in 6.5mm x 55 and 140 gr. custom ammo with Hornady interlock bullets. I was wondering if this would be adequate for elk sized game but was very pleased with the performance. The shot took out both lungs and seemed to pack a big punch. This is the first animal I�ve taken with this gun.

I thought my bull was a younger one because he�s only a 4x4 but I was later told by a more experienced elk hunter that he was actually an older bull whose rack was on it�s way down. He could tell this by the wear on it�s ivorys.

This was a very special trip for me and I count it a blessing from the Lord to have been able to go on this hunt with a good friend and to be able to harvest such a majestic animal. I�ll never forget how regal he looked standing in that meadow with all of those cows. Thanks to everyone on this forum who offered so much advice and insight to me over the past several months, especially exbiologist. I believe it really helped me harvest this animal.

God is good all the time!

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Good for you Darcy! Nice bull. You found out the hard (or easy?) way that one elk is a lot of work, let alone two! I'm glad things worked out so well for you. Looks like the weather could have been a bit better, but it's still fun being out.
Test

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
thanks test, The weather was variable but I'm glad we got out of there when we did, last Saturday. They are getting DUMPED on out there right now.

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Awesome. I hope our 2010 (or 2011) Colorado trip will be as good.

"Paper is poverty,... it is only the ghost of money, and not money itself." --Thomas Jefferson to Edward Carrington, 1788. ME 7:36
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jim, I can't tell you how many times one of our guys sat that meadow you shot your bull in during 1st season (we were only cow hunting). Someone would invariably bust something on the way in, or see nothing. Congrats!

Last edited by exbiologist; 10/29/09.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Way to go, Congrats on a fine bull. I thought those litte bullets were not big enough for a bull elk wink I leave in 11 days for a 4th season hunt in the Maybell area, can't wait.

PASS IT ON!
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Hey Ex,

Yeah if it had the sign we found there I can see why you guys were setting it. Some of the locals we met thought that the local herd was mostly still up higher in the main drainages because of the unusually warm temps. Mid week we had a cold snap that they thought might have started them down into the areas we were hunting at. I like the area a lot. Not to much pressure back in there like you predicted. Only met a few other wackos willing to kill an elk back in there. After packing them out I can see why! I'm hoping to return one of these years and maybe explore some of the areas even further back. It would be fun to bow hunt there too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great story and best part is you did it yourself. Way to go!!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Congrats on a super hunt!

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Definately the DIY aspect was very rewarding, thanks.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Where were you at?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sounds like you had a great hunt. You will never forget the whole experience around the taking of your first elk. Got my first one in 1996 and can still remember it well. (wish I could forget the pain, though!)
Congratulations!

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Darcytribe, Who built your rifle? I too found out during the first season that the old 6.5X55 is more gun than most folks think. My bull looked alot like yours and my shot was nearly as far, same effect, dead elk! I too wondered if it was enough gun for elk, not any more.

How a man acts when he wins reveals part of his character, how he acts when he loses reveals the rest.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's the best kind of story. Do it yourself without some expensive guide. Any elk gets your motor running and you will be tickled when you make chipped elk gravy to go with your taters or biskets. Cheers.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Miller,

A builder near Cody, Wyoming made it for me. It drives tacks. His name is Randy Selby. He'll even make custom ammo for ya. http://www.randyscustomrifles.com/history.html
He was great to work with.

I'm quite happy with the rifle's handling. Moderate recoil, flat shooting and good down-range energy. I chose the caliber to be my all-around rifle for everything from coyote to elk and it looks like it will do the job.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (10ring1, 1234, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 2,204 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,255
Posts18,486,342
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.