Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Are you dumb or stupid?

Read the thread toots and get back to me...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
HR IC

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had two 788's, a .222 and a 7mm-08. Both would keep all shots touching at 100 yds. The trigger hanger arrangement was weak and trigger adjustments required spring tweaking, but dang, all the shots kept touching. Something about that makes me wish I had not foolishly upgraded to guns that did not shoot as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

They do work. Say whatever else you like, but...

(And I don't think I've overloaded any other rifles as much as I did them.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"works" is subjective,as windshield wipers on a Billy Goats azz would testify.

The downside to the 788,is that there simply is no upside...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaleWhiteCracker

The downside to the 788,is that there simply is no upside...................

Exactly what that little bull was thinking shortly before the pic was snapped I'm sure. It's success as a decent rifle obviously didn't need your approval, SailorBoy.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tasco sells alotta scopes,cough silencers abound and Bigfoot is a common theme in The Enquirer...all of which I'm certain is right up your alley,due to their "success".

Funny how the dumbest sorts,embrace the ridiculous,as something it ain't................

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My pencil is at the ready. I sense an education on the virtues of things about which I truly know nothing. Prattle on...

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I've had my .222 for 30 years.
Shoots under an inch at 100 yds. and no mechanical problems.
Most owners in this thread are quite satisfied.

Maybe somebody (who shall remain nameless)
just doesn't know how to shoot. wink

Doc

Send lawyers, guns and money.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have 2 a 6mm which I picked for about $295 about 5 years, shoots great around 1/2" with 75 grain V-Max for 'yotes. The other a 243 I traded for and used to train my kids to shoot, doesn't shoot as good but keeps 100 grain NPs about an inch, won't part with either one. If the price is right then they are a good buy but if its going for more than $300 than their are better buys today such as the Marlin XL or XS which are being sold for under $300 on sale.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My wife has been killing deer with hers since 1981. (.308)
Plenty good as far as she is concerned!
Hers has a 2-7 Leupold and stock is cut to her specs with a nice 1" pad.
She has turned down a Browning Lever action because she prefers the familiar.
They need some trigger work and rear lugs are a little springy with hot loads.
For the money though they were a good entry level rifle.
They are a better truck gun than a safe queen.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I handled a Remington 788 in 223 at a pawnshop yesterday,
metal was great, stock was scuffed up and it was missing
the magazine. Price was 499, I think its going to be there
for awhile.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You'll wanna copy/paste,then print. There'd be too much lost in translation,were you to attempt offhand.

I reckon few folks impress easier than you and that ain't much of an accolade,despite your apparent satisfaction with being that dense.......................

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaleWhiteCracker

Do tell.

At least the toner expense is easy for all that.

Prattle on...

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Dear croldfort:

I have been shooting a Rem 788 in .222 for 25 years; it has NEVER let me down in the field, no trouble with it and quite accurate given the cleaning habits of the previous owner.

The bolt has NEVER broken off, or has there been a headspace problem, or trigger pin broken,,,or ANYTHING of the BS I read here on these last 7 pages. It has killed many, many groundhogs.

I LIKE it a lot and I HUNT in the field...not a tavern.

I am putting a new 22/250 AI barrel on another one this year

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You'd not be able to fathom the practice of shooting more than 3 shots a year.

For starters................

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've owned two 788's. One was a 222 Rem. The other was a 30-30. Both shot well. Both were basic, functional, accurate rifles. I sold them both as time passed, as I just didn't shoot them much. Nothing against them, just didn't need them (or want them) anymore. I bought them because they were priced well (back 15+ years ago), and I wanted to investigate/play with their design.

It's an interesting action. The 30-30 has a two piece bolt body. The 222 Rem was one piece. The ejection port's small size makes the action very stiff, and accounts for the rifle's high level of accuracy.

For what it is worth, the man who turned me onto precision reloading and shooting was Dwight Furrow of Thorndike, Maine. Dwight has since passed, but if you look through issues of Precision Shooting magazine from the 1990's, you will repeatedly see his name at the top of nearly any northeast benchrest-for-score IBS sanctioned meet. He was a 5 time national benchrest for score champion. He exclusively used Remington 788 actions and Hart barrels. He simply trued the receiver's face (all he needed to do to "true" the action), and adjusted the factory trigger himself.

That's it. Of course the man could read wind, prep and load brass with the best, and teach you a thing or six about mounting scopes. He shared his knowledge to anyone who asked, and had unlimited patience for inquirers. As a true champion, he got his game face on for a match, and was always the one to watch.

He had a wicked sharp sense of humor. On the match results, the winners were asked to list their equipment (action, barrel, chambering, twist, powder, load/grains, bullet, scope, etc). Dwight would often love to playfully yank people's chains at this stage. You can see his "data" in Precision Shooting from time to time and see him list things that would make you chuckle if you knew him. For his Remington 788-a short action- which was posted in the "action" section, he would list the chambering: "30-06". For his bullet, he would list: "Speer 130 gr HP."

He used the Rem 788 because they worked better than anything else he tried, plain and simple. He proved his point on 5 different years as the top stool shooter in the country-with every shot fired from a Remington 788 actioned bench gun.

You will find the Remington 788 suitable for your needs. I was never designed to be fancy or svelte-but they shoot.

FYI: Comments on 788 (and a reference to Dwight Furrow)
http://6mmbr.websitetoolbox.com/printthread?id=2610683
http://www.benchrest.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-44504.html

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Gosh, I didn't know my 222 788 was a POS until I read this topic. Now I know it won't shoot those one ragged hole groups it shoots.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Passed on the 788. Found what I was really looking for, a tang safety Ruger in 6mm.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
WOW, a ruger over a 788..... now thats just wrong....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I do like Rugers, and it was cheaper by about 50 bucks.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (12344mag, 25classic, 2500HD, 257Bob, 222Sako, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,645 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,293
Posts18,486,946
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.