Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 64 of 66 1 2 62 63 64 65 66
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Fidalgo Bay, Alaska...Alder brush and Devil's club.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
GB1

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
[Linked Image]

Steelhead, nice country...lots of heavy bush for sure.

JO, I've killed a lot of big game in the timber.

Gorgeous animal!

That "timber" looks about like the part of eastern Oregon where I hunt elk... Not what I'm talking about at all.

It's not worth fighting over. smile You might very well do just fine hunting "cold" where I hunt. I know for a fact that hunting cold would cost me animals- and how well others hunt doesn't fill my freezer, you know?

By the way- the profile for the militant "cold" guys is that they hunt open country, or in game-rich areas with lots of easy tags. Just saying, my circumstances are different.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Very nice bears! Congrats!

Originally Posted by Steelhead
That's why I carry binoculars, don't shoot deer in the azz

Here, here on the binos. Seen to many SCOPE other hunters. Some times it was by accident. Swaro EL 10x42s do my bidding.

Also saw a guy not dot the i on a hind end shot. Never have had to do it, but couldn't say I wouldn't if the situation called for it like a wounded animal on the run. Anyway, he had a 7 Mag and hit the Lt. hind quarter square! Flipped the Muley end over end for about 30 yds and decimated that quarter. It was ugly. This was a slob hunter that was well known for blowing 2 or 3 legs off of the animal before dispatching it as well (most all the animals he put down was like this). Don't have much patients for this kind of BS.

Anyone else carry muzzle down when you have your rifle slung?

Last edited by SUPERDIESEL1; 10/31/09.

Some go through life wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. Ronald Regan

My Longest shot is my shortest stalk. USMC 83-87
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Fall Chokecherry bear...most of the bears I've killed are in heavy cover or not far from it...still had time to "chamber up" and put one in the boiler room on this one.

It's only my opinion...I'll keep it clear until it's time to kill something. There is one exception.......

[Linked Image]
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Sure seems to work for you, scenar! Rock on! smile

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Jeff;

You don't have a patent on tight cover hunting, and you've never hunted with a cold chamber, so saying that it would, absolutely, cost you game is a non-starter.

FWIW, wildswalker's son (14 year old) took a nice, fat spike at about 20 feet this morning, cold chamber, and having hunted with both of them in that area, it's THICK. Of course, the kid is a killin' SOB, and a sneaky bastid, so that probably tips the scales some...............

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Was hunting black bears in Alaska a few years back with a good friend...while we were skinning a nice boar up on the mountain about a mile above our backpack camp, this coastal grizzly walked right through our camp. We did'nt see him but found these tracks when we got back. My friend was living in Anchorage at the time and had a grizzly permit in his pocket...we chambered up and followed him until the snow got too deep. Needless to say it was the most intense hour of tracking I've ever done.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SUPERDIESEL1

[Linked Image]

Ed
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I need to learn something from this thread....... smile

About the only time I sling my rifle is when I'm walking in before light or walking out after light. It's tight across my back, always barrel pointing up behind my left shoulder, stock behind my right hip (chamber and mag empty). When it's light enough to see it's in my hands...... That being said, even if I may never use the barrel down method, I'd appreciate hearing the details of it. Thanks,

JCM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice pics ScenarShooter! I'm still diggin' the sling and matter of fact I'll call on Monday AM and order another one.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll be chasin elk and mule deer but the little lady can take your order....Thanks man!!

Got any big whitetails picked out back home yet?

[Linked Image]
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Furprick
A rifle with out a round chambered is ..... a stick. You can carry a stick or a rifle your choice.

+1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Can you chamber a round into a stick?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
No I can not, but if I could then that is how I would carry the stick.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
So a rifle without a round chambered ain't a stick.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Always have a round chambered with safety on.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My Ruger 77 has a 3 position safety that physically blocks the firiing pin from going forward when on full safe. I do carry a round in the chamber in this rifle. Some of my other rifles do not have this type of safety and I do not carry a round in the chamber.

An armed member in a country is a citizen, an unarmed member is a subject.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
I'll be chasin elk and mule deer but the little lady can take your order....Thanks man!!

Got any big whitetails picked out back home yet?

Actually I don't have any picked out yet. This has been the slowest year for seeing good bucks that I've had in a LOOOOOOONG time. I'm chalking it up to the fact that I've been far to busy to put in the scouting time that I usually do. Also done more duck hunting this fall than I have in a long time. I have to admit though that I have no complaints. I'll fill the freezer with late season does if I have to.......as long as they stand around long enough for me to chamber a cartridge. LOL.

[Linked Image]

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
NH, as a rule, normally has a low "accident" rate during the season. We went quite a spell without a death. It's not shaping up for this year, though.

Condolences to the family of the deceased, but I'm thinking these could have been avoided if they hadn't been "hot". At least one of them will live.

Union Leader

George

Last edited by NH K9; 11/01/09.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SUPERDIESEL1

Mr. SUPERDIESEL1;
That is my prefered carry method and I'd think I carry that way at least 90% of the time if the rifle is slung.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I glass better with both hands so that's what my hunting has evolved into for the most part.

Good luck on your upcoming hunts.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Page 64 of 66 1 2 62 63 64 65 66

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,465 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,060
Posts18,482,382
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.