Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
My current favorite is a Hinderer, modified skinner shape 440c, sold as an NRA knife a coupla years ago.
I also like the Cold Steel Master Hunter but the handel is thicker than necessary.
The folder that I always carry is K-Bar Dozier, $15 from midway and AUS8A steel. A little beauty .

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

GB1

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Buck alpha hunter!!!!!!!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Interesting thread, might as well throw my two bits worth in...

Of late my favorites are by Knives of Alaska a folding knife called a Denali Master Guide and a fixed blade called an Elk Hunter. These knives have a handle shape that fits my hand very well and the D2 steel seems to hold an edge very well.

http://www.knivesofalaska.com/catalog/prod_display.aspx?from=Folding+Knives&cat=Denali

http://www.knivesofalaska.com/catal...ixed+Blade+Knives&cat=Trekker+Series

FWIW last year working with my partner we gutted, skinned, and quartered an elk and a moose, knife was still good to go although I think I touched it up before I went deer hunting. I guess that is only one full critter because we were working together.

The other thing I do is the knives I use for cutting critters up do not come out for anything else. I have a camp knife that I'll cut a weiner stick with or whatever. I think this contributes to the knives staying sharp.

I keep these sharp with an edgepro. I have determined I was too useless to do what I considered a satisfactory job by hand so I bought one. I feel these are a worthy investment because they enable the application of a very consistent angle on the edge of your knife. The end result, for me, are knives that are sharper than any I've had before and they seem to stay sharp longer.

Not sure of the hardness of these knives but it seems about right. I have an old Buck that I bought about 40 years ago. I find it a little on the hard side as it is the devil itself to sharpen, holds the edge once it's there though.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I received a Buck folding 110 from Santa Claus (my dad) when I was 16. For the past 25 years I have used that knife on a dozen elk, about that many deer, a few antelope, 100+ ducks and geese along with a few rabbits and coyotes. As long as I keep it sharp, I have never wanted for another knife...until this year. A friend bought an OutdoorEdge Swingblade. It was love at first sight and I HAD to have one. I've never liked using a guthook knife to "unzip" the belly of big game and the swingblade has an ingenious solution. I can't wait to use it and if anyone has used one I'd love to hear what you think of the design! By the way, I ordered the SwingBlaze. The version with the blaze orange handle...Brilliant! I can't tell you how many times I have had to look for a knife that fell into the long grass.

A few years ago we witnessed a hunter take a spike bull illegally. The DOW officer we reported it to wanted us to show him the elk so he could gather evidence to try to find and charge the hunter. We found the elk later that day. The DOW officer had an orange handled CUTCO fixed blade knife (sorry, I can't remeber the model)that made short work of the spike. He said he has two so that when one gets dull he can send it back to the factory where they sharpen it for free. I was very impressed with that knife as well.

I will always carry the Buck 110, but the Swingblaze won't be far away!

Thanks in advance for the SwingBlade/Blaze reviews.

Elk Country
(Randy)

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
D
DJR Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I like the Buck 110 Folder too. Did the skinning on my son's spike elk this weekend with that and a 103 Skinner. He had it gutted by the time I got there but the 110 did most of the work. That knife has just flat worked for many years. I don't use it for camp chores and I use the Lansky system to keep it sharp. It's like a starwars light saber for sharp.

Also I like the philosophy of the companies founder.

Got a really nice Ingram but can't bring myself to actually use it.

One knife: Buck 110
Two knives: Buck 110 and 103.

That'll do it.

DJR

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by DJR

Ride it like you stole it,he'll make more....

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
D
DJR Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by JeffP
Originally Posted by DJR

Yes but the line keeps getting longer and I don't know how many years I've got left. wink

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by DJR
Originally Posted by JeffP
Originally Posted by DJR

Yes but the line keeps getting longer and I don't know how many years I've got left. wink

That's like having Cindy Crawford for a wife and never touching her.When your dead, someone else will....

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
D
DJR Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D

Ha! The Cindy card. Well, some things are just made for lookin' but I'll get around to using the Ingram some day I hope. Doesn't look good for this year but if I draw a Montana tag next season it will be in the rotation for sure.

DJR

[Linked Image]

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

214 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 260Remguy, 264mag, 204guy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 31 invisible), 2,170 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,116
Posts18,483,456
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.