Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I suggest you all get ahold of Mike Rock of Rock Creek Barrels and pose this question to him as he is a PhD Metallurgist and barrelmaker. I too am a Toolmaker of 35yrs and there is a vast difference between making a mold and barrel.

GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Are Rock Creek barrels croyo'ed? Either way they shoot well

[Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Superdiesel

What I see from this is that you could be indicating, what Butch said... IE Krieger and the like are ruining their barrels in the making process. Being that they are winning the roughest competitions out there, one could guess that if they quit treating the steel they'd shoot even better? I doubt that.

And I've had a few dogless barrels put on that are not treated(that i'm aware of anyway) and those have NEVER shot up to par with a Krieger.

You say its horrible to do it. But how do you explain that some of the makers that happen to do it are also at the very top of the pile of accurate barrels and the other non treated ones are not at the top?

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
OK I'll bite again.

WHAT does cryo do, how, and why?

grin

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
MattMan,
I would suggest you do a search on the web. You should get info that may satisify you either way. My only claim and it sure isn't scientific says cryo barrels machine better.
Butch

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by MattMan
OK I'll bite again.

WHAT does cryo do, how, and why?

grin

My reply on this also isn't scientific, its more along the lines that the top barrels use the system, and it sure can't HURT anything, is it voodoo? Dunno but some folks claim Moly is too, but I know better than that. Then, like I said, I look at non cryo barrels like douglas and wonder why they've never been as accurate for me as the cryo'd ones. Of course it could easily also be in the quality of steel and craftsmanship, but point again, it doesn't hurt evidently.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by safariman
I think I will try cryo treating my next barrel by paying my ex wife $50.00 to sleep with it.

OUCH!

TFF.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
MattMan,
I would suggest you do a search on the web. You should get info that may satisify you either way. My only claim and it sure isn't scientific says cryo barrels machine better.
Butch

I know enough about materials science that I don't have to do a search on the web...
grin

I do however, know that moly DOES work, I can't prove it, and don't really give a schitt how or why. wink

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
YO a good man.
Butch

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
at least we agree on moly and many swear it ain't worth the effort.

Last year I shot some ceramic coated bullets in a ceramic coated bore... 7x300 wtby overbore, talk about ZERO fouling though...

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
I guess you are going to tell me Philadelphia beat the Yanks last night because that is the way you saw it.
You have still not answered my question. What proof do you have that cryo has no benefit?
Butch
Proof, you want proof, we don't have to show you no stinking proof, Oh wait that was a line from a movie, wasn't it?

If the Crucible service center in Texas hasn't closed their doors yet, use the 1-800 number and ask to talk to a tech. Ask them if there is any benefit to Stainless steel doing Cyro treating. Or just for the heck of it you might want to see why it works for tool steel. What is the difference between tool steel and 416R? Read Machinery's Hand book about cyro treating tool steel. Writing this in public to anyone that does machinery work is embarrassing. This is a well known subject. You do know that Crucible is the supplier to most of the barrel making people in the U.S.A.?

Don't be surpriced when they tell you they can see no benefit to the process for SS. Remember this ain't tool steel. Cryo is common to the tool steel boys and has been a service to the tool steel users for decades.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Dan Liljas take:

"Q. What is your opinion of the deep cryogenic processing of barrels?

A. The cryogenic treating of barrels at a temperature of -300 degrees below zero has been a hot topic of discussion lately. Our short answer is that it will not harm your barrel but we are not completely convinced of all of the benefits claimed by some. The only benefits that we feel are likely to result from the treatment are possibly a longer barrel life and a slight increase in machinability.

Claims for increased accuracy through stress relief are not founded in our opinion. When barrels are button rifled no material is removed, it is just displaced. This causes stresses to be formed in the steel. If these stresses are not removed problems will result. These negative conditions include warping of the barrel during other machining operations, an increase in the bore diameter towards the muzzle end of the barrel during the contouring phase, and in the extreme, lengthwise splitting of the barrel. Also, if there are stresses remaining in the barrel they can be slowly released as a barrel warms up during firing. This causes the barrel to actually move during the course of shooting, causing inaccuracy.

In our testing we have found that the only effective means to completely remove the types of stresses introduced during rifling are with conventional heat treating using elevated temperatures. The -300 degree treatment alone will not remove these stresses. We have been told by a knowledgeable metallurgist that the deep cold treatment will, at best, remove up to 6% of the remaining stresses in the type of steel used for rifle barrels. The key words here are remaining stresses. In other words if the barrel was not stress relieved conventionally, then only 6% of the original stress will be removed. If the barrel has been treated conventionally with heat and then brought through the -300 degree cycle, up to 6% of any remaining stresses could be removed by the cold treatment. We do know through our testing that the cold treatment alone will not remove any significant amount of stress and that the problems outlined above concerning stress will remain in the barrel.

So, because of the very limited amount of stress that could be removed with the cold treatment (if the barrel has been properly stress relieved with heat as our barrels are) we do not believe that there can be much if any accuracy benefit to the -300 degree treatment of our barrels. It is for these reasons that we feel the cold process has very little potential for increasing the accuracy of our barrels. In our opinion, other than the removal of these stresses, there are no other mechanical factors involved that could benefit accuracy in a rifle barrel, resulting from a heat treating operation, either hot or cold.

For reasons not completely understood however there may be an increase in the wear resistance of the steel. This type of wear however does not contribute greatly to barrel erosion. We invite you to read our comments on this type of barrel wear in the question regarding the use of moly coated bullets.

Another possible side benefit to the freezing process is a slight increase in its machinability.

Post Script: Since I originally wrote this an excellent article by Kevin Thomas of Sierra Bullets was printed in the September, 1998 issue of Precision Shooting magazine. Mr. Thomas found, in a controlled test, that there was little benefit to deep freezing match grade barrels. He could see no difference in accuracy but probably a slight increase in useful life. I would encourage anyone interested in this subject to take a look at this article."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tom264
Dan Liljas take:

"Q. What is your opinion of the deep cryogenic processing of barrels?

A. The cryogenic treating of barrels at a temperature of -300 degrees below zero has been a hot topic of discussion lately. Our short answer is that it will not harm your barrel but we are not completely convinced of all of the benefits claimed by some. The only benefits that we feel are likely to result from the treatment are possibly a longer barrel life and a slight increase in machinability.

Claims for increased accuracy through stress relief are not founded in our opinion. When barrels are button rifled no material is removed, it is just displaced. This causes stresses to be formed in the steel. If these stresses are not removed problems will result. These negative conditions include warping of the barrel during other machining operations, an increase in the bore diameter towards the muzzle end of the barrel during the contouring phase, and in the extreme, lengthwise splitting of the barrel. Also, if there are stresses remaining in the barrel they can be slowly released as a barrel warms up during firing. This causes the barrel to actually move during the course of shooting, causing inaccuracy.

In our testing we have found that the only effective means to completely remove the types of stresses introduced during rifling are with conventional heat treating using elevated temperatures. The -300 degree treatment alone will not remove these stresses. We have been told by a knowledgeable metallurgist that the deep cold treatment will, at best, remove up to 6% of the remaining stresses in the type of steel used for rifle barrels. The key words here are remaining stresses. In other words if the barrel was not stress relieved conventionally, then only 6% of the original stress will be removed. If the barrel has been treated conventionally with heat and then brought through the -300 degree cycle, up to 6% of any remaining stresses could be removed by the cold treatment. We do know through our testing that the cold treatment alone will not remove any significant amount of stress and that the problems outlined above concerning stress will remain in the barrel.

So, because of the very limited amount of stress that could be removed with the cold treatment (if the barrel has been properly stress relieved with heat as our barrels are) we do not believe that there can be much if any accuracy benefit to the -300 degree treatment of our barrels. It is for these reasons that we feel the cold process has very little potential for increasing the accuracy of our barrels. In our opinion, other than the removal of these stresses, there are no other mechanical factors involved that could benefit accuracy in a rifle barrel, resulting from a heat treating operation, either hot or cold.

For reasons not completely understood however there may be an increase in the wear resistance of the steel. This type of wear however does not contribute greatly to barrel erosion. We invite you to read our comments on this type of barrel wear in the question regarding the use of moly coated bullets.

Another possible side benefit to the freezing process is a slight increase in its machinability.

Post Script: Since I originally wrote this an excellent article by Kevin Thomas of Sierra Bullets was printed in the September, 1998 issue of Precision Shooting magazine. Mr. Thomas found, in a controlled test, that there was little benefit to deep freezing match grade barrels. He could see no difference in accuracy but probably a slight increase in useful life. I would encourage anyone interested in this subject to take a look at this article."

DING DING DING...

We have a winner.

Moly still works though...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Crucible is still in business with new owners. Hum, I guess Dan agrees with me. Bartlein and Kreiger still use the furnace for stress relieving and the cryo for making machining better.
Gone hunting, be back Sunday. I hope you guys have as much enjoyment as I will.
Butch

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
But then Kevin did an article showing moly didn't work. So we believe one but not another?

To top that off, a few years back a buddy bought a Lilja and put it on a 223... barrel life was 1700 rounds and it was DEAD. Maybe Dan should put faith in cryo....1700 rounds is ridiculously low for a 223.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
No comments there Matt Man?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Post by Frank Green of Bartlein Barrels on cryo.
o View Profile
o Email
o Personal Message (Offline)

Re: Freezing a barrel ?
� Reply #14 on: Today at 04:16:58 PM �

* Reply with quoteQuote

I read with interest! A lot of unanswered questions. Some answers are good and some not so good.

Cryo does not guarantee better accuracy. It does not guarantee better cleaning or longer barrel life either.

Yes it might make the barrel more stress free. Several factors here to consider. How do you know let alone the barrel maker know how stress free the material is to begin with. The more stress free it is the less the cryo will have an effect on it.

Second of all the comment made about that so and so uses 416R from Crucible etc....button rifling induces a lot of stress into the blank. Yes they have to restress relieve the blank again but usually the blanks still retain stress. More than you think.

We use Crucible as well. So what is being said?

Chrome moly being effected by heat more? Where did that come from and where is the proof. I have not seen this anywhere. I myself have 5 c.m. barrels on my match rifles and they don't shoot any different than a s.s. barrel.

We even have made c.m. barrels for short range bench shooters. The most recent was for a shooter on the west cost because he wanted his barrels blued to match his BAT action. The guns/barrels are winning matches etc....it's going to be hard to tell him something different.

Also the vast majority of the test barrels we make are made out of c.m.

When I see the test data from 9 barrels in .300 Win. mag in the last year and all are c.m. shooting factory loaded match ammo and at 600 yards shooting consistently around 1/2 moa out of a 50 year old accuracy rest. The s.s. haven't shot any better out of the same set up. And they beat the hell out of them. How about 300 rounds in the first 8-10 hours on the first barrel. If there was a problem with heat and c.m. you think it would've shown up right here.

The Nitriding thing we are watching as well.

Good reading guys. Keep it coming. This is how we learn.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels
Butch

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
3sixbits brought up a good point, one I never thought to consider, and that is that barrels are not made from tool steel, so the effect on barrel steel, if any, would be entirely different from using cyro on tool steel.

From my point of view, I cannot see where cyro treating would be of any benefit to a barrel, either CM or SS. But, if someone wanted to do it, I also do not think it would do any harm.

Several years ago, this question came up and the NRA did some testing. The used an off the rack bolt action rifle, I forget the caliber, but it was centerfire.

They did accuracy testing with it as it came from the factory. Then the sent it off to be cyro treated and when it came back, re-tested and compared the cyroed barrel to the non cyroed barrel.

I can't remember exactly, but I think the results showed no improvement after cyro, but no harm, either.

Other than getting the barrel cold, I don't see any purpose of doing it the way the NRA did it.

To be effective at all, cyro treating has to be done as a part of the heat treating cycle, and not of something made and heat treated a week or year later. I also do not think that you would notice any changes with barrel steel before or after cyro treating even if it was done as part of the heat treating process.

I don't fully understand the austinite to martinsite transformation, but that is the reason for cyro quenching. If a metalorigist (sp?) gave a good explaination of what cyro actually does, along with micro photos of the grain structure, all of us might have a better understanding of what cyro actually does and on what type steel benefits from it.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Bottom line to all this debate is this:
Get the best barrel, THAT YOU THINK!
Get the best smith, THAT YOU THINK!
Practice, SHOOT, Practice, SHOOT, BELIEVE
YOU HAVE THE BEST!!!
That belief and attitude is what is required
to produce. If that includes Cryo, Moly or Voodoo
GO FOR IT!!!!!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,471 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,464
Posts18,529,198
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.