Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I'm getting ready to buy a new pair of boots this year. Last year was the first time I had hunted since my dad died so I just used a pair of all leather boots and thick socks. Well, my feet froze, as was expected on a couple of the really cold days.

Anyway, I don't want to spend a lot and I've found several pairs for under $100. However, I don't really know how much Thinsulate to be looking for based on the climate here. 600? 800? 1000? Our modern gun season runs the middle to end of november (basically) and usually it doesn't get THAT cold. I think last year it dipped into the low 30's a couple of days but not more.

I stand hunt and stationary ground hunt, so I need something thats going to keep my feet warm, but I don't want really heavy boots. I'm nearly 300lbs and very short legged so its hard enough tromping around in the woods hahaha.

I wouldn't mind even going a bit lighter on the thinsulate if i needed to and getting a pair of those boot cover things to put on once I was in the stand.

What do you guys use and recommend? I live in the Southern IL/far Western KY area.

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
go 6 to 800 & make sure you have room inside them.

and I don't mean room for a bunch of socks, room for your feet to get good circulation, you don't want your feet squeezed.

then while you are sitting be aware of your feet & how you are sitting. Move your feet now & then changing foot placement a bit so you vary the inner boot to foot contact. You'd be surprised how much you can do to keep your feet warm with an awareness of your circulation in your feet.

I try to stay tuned in to this because I sit in open hunt locations such as steel elevated deer stands or on the ground but rarely am I sheltered from the weather and I can find myself hunting in sub zero temps.

I don't like a great big boot which is what you get when you go to 1000 & above. they suck to try to drive if you have to drive a vehicle with them on, hard to walk in the woods with, hard to climb into deer stands with... clumsy & heavy.

There are times where i have to wear the heavy stuff but I hate doing it.

I've found that about 600 is the cut off for what is still a relatively normal sized boot, 800 isn't horrible but they just get clumsy beyond that.

Something clever here.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Sounds good, I figured 1000 would be a bit much for my area. Someone told me to buy boots 1/2 size bigger than normal to allow for circulation and for an extra pair of socks.

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It really depends on the construction of the boot. Things like the thinckness of the leather, other linings like gortex, quality of sole/inserts all influence things heavily.
I'm good with 400 grs. in a quality boot witha sock liner and good wool socks to temps a lot colder than you mentioned. If that isn't enough it usually means the need to move up to a pac/winter boot.
That said 400,600, 800 are all good as long as I like the boot. Never had 1000 yet but at some point it becomes a game of one ups man ship.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Georgia Men's Mossy Oak boots w/ Goretex

I found these on the site ran by a local hunting supplier. The price is awesome if these boots are good. 800g Thinsulate, Goretex, they look like good boots to me. I need to go see how they fit.

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My insulated leather boot runs 600 grams. Over 600, and my feet sweat too easily if I have to move, & I just don't like sitting still all that much anyway. I have a pair of glacier boots for icefishing that I'll wear if it gets down around 0 or lower, but I don't like them if I'm moving. If your sitting on a bucket or chair on the ground, it helps to have a bit of styrofoam insulation under your boots if that's practical.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I figure that the 1000+ boots are for serious sitting and thats a different animal. If your going to sit for 6+ hours in 10F well your going to want something with lots of insulation and loose fitting. Walking is sort of secondary for this type of application.

For more general hunting I like a set of rockies with 600g that I have. I bought them just a little large and I also bought a set of superfeet insoles. For bow hunting and other mild weather stand sitting I use the factory insoles which leave some extra room in the boots.

If I am going to be walking distance over rougher terrian and it "tightens" them up a bit and makes them a nice walking boot.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks for the replies, I think Im going to go down to a couple of stores today and try on boots to see what feels good.

Main reason I was asking is I thought there were temperature ranges that thinsulate was rated for.

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Also, I've never used a sock liner before. Are they really that helpful? I usually use a really thick wool/cotton blend sock, and if its much colder I use a regular cotton sock under that.

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Since you mainly stand hunt, another option would be to go lite on the thinsulite say 200 - 400. Then get a pair of the Boot Blankets to use in the stand. There are several companies that make them under different names. I believe Artic Shield is one of the mfg's.

I've heard good reports about them over the years.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
IC B3

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CraigCollier
Also, I've never used a sock liner before. Are they really that helpful? I usually use a really thick wool/cotton blend sock, and if its much colder I use a regular cotton sock under that.

Yes, liners help wicking moisture and make for more warmth without adding bulk.
Cotton sucks, adding another layer doubly so.....for the same reasons it doesn't make good hunting wear.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thats what I was thinking. Those slip on insulated covers are a definite option, and it would keep me from having a heavy, clunky boot.

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I went with a pair of muck max boots i think they're called. great for hunting, ice fishing, whatever you need be. you may want to check into them.

It is a silly fish that is caught twice with the same bait!
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by FVA

Cotton sucks, adding another layer doubly so.....for the same reasons it doesn't make good hunting wear.

I saw that Bass Pro has these silk sock liners and Gander MT has some made from 52% polypropylene, 28% merino wool, 18% stretch nylon, and 2% Lycra. Is there a preferred material for the liners?

LOL I just remembered that I wore a pair of panty hose back when I was 13/14 and hunting in cold weather. Seemed to work to wick away moisture if I remember right smile

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Not much to add better that what was said already.

I have a pair of LaCrosse 800's. If you're moving, they're a bit warm, which in turn leads to cold feet when you quit moving.

I have also found a good pair of socks is equally important. anything to keep your feet from sweating.

I also use my Iceman's but they are cumbersome to walk in and not a chance of doing it quietly. They are pretty much for stand hunting and ice fishing.

Camp is where you make it.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by BuschPilot
I went with a pair of muck max boots i think they're called. great for hunting, ice fishing, whatever you need be. you may want to check into them.

Are those lace or all rubber like the other Muck boots I've seen? I've used LaCrosse rubber boots before and I don't like them at all. I prefer a lace up so I can adjust how tight or loose they are. And, (its a mental thing), I have issues with "foot confinement" if my feet can't move around some in my shoes I tend to wig out a little.

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by tzone
Not much to add better that what was said already.

I have a pair of LaCrosse 800's. If you're moving, they're a bit warm, which in turn leads to cold feet when you quit moving.

I have also found a good pair of socks is equally important. anything to keep your feet from sweating.

I also use my Iceman's but they are cumbersome to walk in and not a chance of doing it quietly. They are pretty much for stand hunting and ice fishing.

Thanks. One of the issues I have with where I hunt is that aside from 2 stands, the rest of them are deep into the woods where maneuverability is greatly needed. So I think that a lighter boot and a pair of those boot covers would be a good combo.

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FVA

I saw that Bass Pro has these silk sock liners and Gander MT has some made from 52% polypropylene, 28% merino wool, 18% stretch nylon, and 2% Lycra. Is there a preferred material for the liners?

LOL I just remembered that I wore a pair of panty hose back when I was 13/14 and hunting in cold weather. Seemed to work to wick away moisture if I remember right smile

Either will do. Can't say I have a preference.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Cool, I didn't know if there was a better material to go with.

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Sounds like that is what you need.

They look like they'd work, I just don't know anyone that has them, and I'm not going to drop $50 on them before I know if they work.

Camp is where you make it.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

402 members (10ring1, 160user, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 35 invisible), 1,976 guests, and 1,066 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,760
Posts18,476,500
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.