Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I have been fortunate enough to bag all of the Montana big game species, including Slow Elk...

[Linked Image]

did it make the book? grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rattler
Originally Posted by shrapnel

I have been fortunate enough to bag all of the Montana big game species, including Slow Elk...

did it make the book? grin

The cook book....(grin)

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Sammo....thanks for the pics at the beginning of this thread...I realized I havent been up in that country for ten years (!)
Dam...I miss it!

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sam Olson;
Thanks for putting up the photos for us Sam, I really enjoyed them.

It looks not too different from the country my parents grew up in, Mom on a ranch near Etsikom, Alberta, which was not far from Havre and Dad on a farm near a place that I think is no longer there which was �close� to Maple Creek, Saskatchewan.

Interesting how the elk like that sort of country too, eh? I guess that makes sense as they were a prairie animal when Lewis and Clark crossed the west weren�t they?

Well thanks again, I really enjoyed the photos of folks moving cows the way they are meant to be moved.

All the best to you and yours Sam.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yep they were out here on the flats aswell to start with.....make no mistake from the pics, some of that country is pretty thickly timbered.....[bleep] sucks when yah can smell and hear them but not see them.....ive had them disappear in three steps not 20 yards from me a couple miles from where Sam took some of those pics...

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mr. rattler;
Thanks for the reply.

We have a nephew who lives just out of Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, which I think is more or less straight north of Wolf Point?

Anyway, I hear what you are saying, the country isn't as flat as it looks sometimes is it?

Thanks again for the reply.

Regards,
Dwayne

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
more or less north of me......Regina is an easy drive, lil over 2 hours and if i remember Moose Jaw is similar....

go a lil ways west of where Sam was and you get into some pretty steep coulees.....when my wife had an elk tag for that country her and i walked part of the edge of the coulee dropping into Timber creek.....she took the high road and i took the low road...in theory we were close enough beside each other to hold hands......but she was 60 feet above me....we went rock climbing back behind the Burke Ranch in the same general area thats one hell of a sandstone bluff.....

its country where the hunting is as easy or as hard as you want to make it.....some of the drop offs are pretty steep and getting down ina and shooting a critter isnt that rough most the time but getting a critter out of there is gonna be rough....have run into elk hunters mid afternoon that shot an elk at daybreak, just getting to their truck for the first time....they offered to give us the other half of the elk if we were willing to go in and haul it out grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
rattler;
Thanks again for the reply, it's good stuff.

My Mom's dad ranged his cattle on what they called Forty Mile Coulee in southern Alberta. Troutfly here at the Campfire knows that part of the world I believe.

It's kind of interesting how small the world is sometimes isn't it?

Thanks again rattler, I enjoy learning about other members' parts of the world.

Dwayne

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
up until a couple years ago i went up into Sask. and Alberta quite a bit, atleast every few months.....the wife says i have a great time up there but the Canuck friends tend to make sure i am unable to remember the trips for the most part grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
rattler;
Well some of us are bad that way, eh?

I think it must stem from the old days when a blizzard would hit and the company couldn't make it home, so you might as well drain whatever was already open, right?

Yes, that must be it... wink

Dwayne

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grin ive got along with most all Canucks ive run across.....course there aint a ton of difference in attitude in those in the southern part of Sask and Alberta and those of us on the Hi-Line here in MT......prolly has a lot to do with us getting along just fine grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
rattler;
That's really the case isn't it?

We've spent a fair bit of time stateside and we've seemed to have more in common with folks in the same geographic areas in your country than with folks from other parts of our own.

All the best to you and yours, I�ve thoroughly enjoyed our exchange this evening. Hopefully Sam will forgive me for the small hijack on his thread, but it was sort of related right?

Thanks again for the conversation, I truly enjoyed it.

Dwayne

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Peanut butter and Jack Daniels?

Damn, Sam, you live rough! smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Love that country over there...

Your pics gave me a bit of a chubby, per usual.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

RE: Slow Elk are Big Game: The first time my dad told me that it cracked me up! laugh

You know what they call sheep, don't you?.....

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Who Wyoming calls for a good time on Saturday Night grin

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Casey

Prarie Maggots...

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by DanAdair

Casey

Prarie Maggots...

laugh ....Over here we call them Mountain Maggots!..... grin

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Casey

Doesn't it depend on how much "they" have had to drink? laugh

"Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit." -- John Stuart Mill
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Damn nice pics, Sam. That sure is some beautiful (and rugged) country. How's ole Fred doing?

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1badf350, 1234, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 56 invisible), 2,457 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,557
Posts18,491,741
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.