Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
RIP. Hard to believe coyotes can take down a grown person.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia/story/2009/10/28/ns-coyote-attack-died.html

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
There is another thread that asks if this is possible.

I'm not terribly surprised, I've left the woods and waited till daylight to track deer for this exact reason. knowing damn well they were present. Made sure I had a shotgun when I went back.

Proverbs
- A wise man feareth, and departs from evil: but the fool rages, in confidence.
- It is honor for a man to cease from strife: but every fool will meddle.
- Mischief is as sport to a fool: but a man of understanding hath wisdom.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
A person who is unarmed and unprepared to protect herself is plainly in danger. This happened in a national park where there is not only no hunting but arms are not allowed. Walking sticks and axes are allowed and if a person had either one ane the willingness and ability to use it, the coyotes would be much less of a threat. An incident like this is a reminder that not all animals are always our friends.
It is claimed the RCMP shot at the coyotes but couldn't find the carcass. This is likely because they didn't hit the coyote.GD

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Carolina Shooter
There is another thread that asks if this is possible.

I'm not terribly surprised, I've left the woods and waited till daylight to track deer for this exact reason. knowing damn well they were present. Made sure I had a shotgun when I went back.

really I have went in to the woods to retrieve my animals at dark because I knew they were in the area and I didn't want to end up with half an animal. I have never thought of a yote as a threat to me especially if I am armed.

Do you have bad dreams to grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by heavywalker
especially if I am armed.

Concealed carry - "If it saves just ONE life..."

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know the CC debate in National Parks was on the agenda I believe not long ago, not sure of the outcome, but agree Jordan.

Sad news, a wild animal is just that, as the circus bear killed someone recently.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here in Canada, the anti-gun, pro gun-control people use that motto all the time as justification for banning guns altogether "if it saves just one life..."- as if to say that it will all be worth it.

In this case it appears that the exact opposite proposition is precisely true.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This one wont hurt anyone..... 35 lbs. Male
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Treestands don't demand. Treestands don't complain.
Treestands simply ask me to sit down and listen.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I suspect that this was a LOT messier than is let on. I drove the length of Cape Breton to get the NFLD ferry at North Sidney. Pretty big place. Just how long was the elapsed time from the 911 call to the arrival of the RCMP??? The call was made by someone who "happened on the attack"???? It sure as Hell looks like a predatory attack to me and how much of her legs and buttocks did they eat before the RCMP arrived? Why didn't the caller make any attempt to assist??? I find that extremely disturbing.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
C
C
Sad news. The yotes here in Nova Scotia are huge. They say that on their trek from the west, they mated with wolves and the hybrids are 10 to 20% larger than out west. 70lbs are pretty common.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow! I'm surprised!

I've never in my life feared coyotes...but then again I'm always armed with something while in the woods.

All game that lives in the protected parks ( towns, etc..) are desensitized to the fear of humans... Much like a domestic dog that has learned that he doesn't need to fear a human and can be especially dangerous when there's more than one.

My heart goes out to the family of this young lady.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
on the ranch we allways kept the population down ..to minimise deer kill ,but left enough to keep rodents in check

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Coyotes have been living in the Western Canada for millions of years and they didn't cross breed, strange they would cross breed their enemies. More likely dogs cross breeding.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Coyotes have been attacking kids waiting for the buses in the morning just down the road where I live north of Edmonton for the past 8 years. They take there lunchs away from the kids.
So now parents build little houses or wait in cars for buses.
Tree huggers think they are cute but they don't have a kid waiting at the bus in morning fighting with coyotes so they can keep their lunches. Ever see 5 of them pulling calves for you?
It's pretty gory. I've shot lots of them and I will be thinnning them out again here soon.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I believe there are sub-species.Here in NY a pathologist did DNA testing on some and concluded some have crossbred with the Red Wolf at some point in history.This explains the difference in size and manor of the all too common Coyote.

Sorry,I drank the Sako-Aid.My opinion may be biased.
bh444
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I could accept this as plausible but a large timber wolf from Canada such as the ones transplanted in Yellowstone would rather eat a coyote then jump it. LOL

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Not sure of the source, or exactly where it was, but sometime within the past couple years I read several pieces of genetic research that seem to pretty much confirm the crossing of coyote and wolf populations in eastern N. America, creating the "super yotes" found in that part of the world. A couple of wild dogs tipping the scales at 70 lbs. each wouldn't have a lot of trouble dispatching a solitary defenseless hiker, such as that poor unfortunate young lady was. I ran a trapline in B.C. for several years, and until recently I thought of coyotes as skinny, skittish scroungers...not so in the bigger weight classes.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
This is sad to hear. What a bad way to die.
I only wonder if she set them off by screaming or yelling when they scared her, and being unarmed???. Really makes me wonder if she may have been having her period and in which case they would have stalked her thinking she is wounded, killing on their mind. None the less all the more reason to blast em! when you see em!

P
pjf Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
I suspect that this was a LOT messier than is let on. I drove the length of Cape Breton to get the NFLD ferry at North Sidney. Pretty big place. Just how long was the elapsed time from the 911 call to the arrival of the RCMP??? The call was made by someone who "happened on the attack"???? It sure as Hell looks like a predatory attack to me and how much of her legs and buttocks did they eat before the RCMP arrived? Why didn't the caller make any attempt to assist??? I find that extremely disturbing.

Here�s what I�ve read:

�Officers with the RCMP detachment in Cheticamp, N.S., responded to a 911 call placed around 3:15 p.m. on Wednesday by another hiker who stumbled upon the attack. When they arrived on Skyline Trail, a popular hiking route in the park, they found two coyotes attacking the young hiker.� (http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/posted/archive/2009/10/28/344741.aspx)

Couldn�t the 911 caller have protected the victim before the RCMP arrived?
Are there more details about what happened between the 911 call and the arrival of the RCMP?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Quann said he believes there are five or six coyotes in the area."

I love that quote. Only five or six coyotes in the area? You have got to be kidding me!!! If there is one, there are a hundred. They breed like rabbits...especially in parks where they have little natural enemies and no hunting. Stupid retarded wildlife "experts". He shot at it, so he hit it and it crawled off and died, but nobody can find it. Those guys can't shoot worth crap either.

"People should carry a knife" Another ignorant statement by a "professional" wildlife critic. 99.9999% of people wouldn't know what to do with a knife, let alone have it available for use in such a situation. It is really a tragedy for the girl and family members. Too bad the whole fiasco is being conducted by idiots. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

657 members (160user, 16penny, 1936M71, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 2,676 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,948
Posts18,499,003
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.