24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3455793 11/05/09
OP Offline
Does anybody have any recommendations for elk calling? I've never used one before (Besides messin around with my Dads bugler, like every kid). I have no knowledge on elk calls. Any help would be appreciated. Thank ya kindly

-Cody

-Cody.
GB1

OP Offline
Also any recommendations on a good movie for it..?

-Cody.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Use the cow calls mostly I wouldnt bugle much at all only to locate from there get as close as you can downwind from them and cow call.

OP Offline
Okay thanks. Any preferences on brands? I'm lookin on Cabelas right now...

Theres 3 brands they have:
-Hunters Specialties Infinity. 4 pack. On sale for ten bucks
-Knight&Hale. 4 pack. 15 bucks
-Primos. They're 6 bucks a piece..

?

-Cody.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I have and like the Primos brand of elk calls.

IC B2

OP Offline
Thanks man. I'm sure i'll be posting lots of questions on the forum. My Dad bow hunts, but i'm going the opposite and doing rifle hunting. So he's not really here as much to guide me through it all. Which means loads of questions for you guys ha

-Cody.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For cow calls, it's hard to go wrong with the Primos Hootchie Mama - literally, 'cause it's nearly impossible to make a sound that isn't a good match to the real thing.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
dittos on the Hoochie. I found several opportunities to use it with good success this rifle season: stoping elk moving out of an area, and calming some we came up on in the dark. Haven't tryed it yet during breeding time.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I really like Cow Talk from Elk Inc, they also make a pretty good CD. I also like Carlton's Lonesome Cow Elk call, it's a little raspier than the Cow Talk call.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got to second the Hootchie Mama. It is easy to use and a very affordable call.

IC B3

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E

There's many various cow calls on the market today, most are perfect in the fact that they will do the job they're intended for! The more versatile the call the better off you will be, this is especially true when the hunters best odds are using a cow sound that fits the encounter! Hoochie mamas & like calls have their place but are by no means an end all or fit all situation type call. They give off "contact mews" & nothing more, you are very limited in its use. On some occasions that's all that's needed, other occasions require a different cow sound or tone that fits the encounter. The hoochies are a very good call to add an additional cow sound such as trying to sound like a small group of elk the hoochie just being one of those sounds, not all 3-4 cows.

The mouth diaphragm is ones best choice as it is versatile & can be used to make any sound a cow can make. External reeded calls are the next best thing for both those that want an additional or different tone or just can't use mouth reeds! Ones such as the Hyper Lip Single, Whose Yrr Daddy, Estrus Whine, Fighting Cow Call, Cow Talk & others are all good choices & can deliver realistic cow tones & sound.

The important factor to really be concerned with is what you're asking for or saying when using any elk sound! Learning to understand what each sound means to the elk is of far more importance than just spitting out any ole cow sound or mew. Learn when & how to use a "contact mew/chirp" "pleads" "create pitchy excitement" "estrus buzz" "re-gathering sounds" "separated sounds" "lost cow sounds" & so on. There is where your success will lie! Find a cow call you're happy with & fits then master the various sounds and when to use them & you will see that your close encounters with elk along with a good setup & good wind will be enhanced considerably! Keep it simple & Good Luck!

ElkNut1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Before the Wolf in Idaho,Bugling Elk was my favorite pastime never to miss a morning in mid September..I have tried the reeds and have about 15 different ones left as well as several different types of bugles and I settled on the Power Bugle by E.L.K Inc out of Montana,I believe.After my wife called in an embarrassed outfitter,we both put the others in vacation mode.None better for me for the other sounds Elk make beside the so called battle Bugle..Chirps and grunts come fairly easy.

Cow calls are different.I used the E.L.K Inc Cow talk for years then everyone said the Hoochie Momma was much better..This year it was not and I went back to the multi sounds the Cow Talk produces that old momma does not.Like the Power Bugle,I can imitate all the cow sounds better with the Cow Talk.

I have a couple teeth missing so maybe that is why I don't do as well with reeds!!!

Jayco

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1 on the Hootchie Mama by Primos.

It just works.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I like Sceery's cow call. With practice, you can mimic almost any cow sound.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (44mc, 264mag, 338rcm, 7887mm08, 2500HD, 18 invisible), 1,575 guests, and 1,043 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,960
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.