Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
SteveS Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Last wk I posted my EG for sale (mistakenly said it was 1954, but it is actually 1953). Thanks to a few guys who contacted me about it too.
Gave it a good cleaning and a good bore cleaning with JB Mirror Bright and went to sight it in, so anyone who bought it would be happy.

Took me about 10 shots (including a few fouling shots)to get it zeroed, and the last 2 shots were REALLY close. So, thought I'd start with a fresh bull to see what was really going on and to give to the next guy.
Here's a pic of the bull--
YIKES!!--1" overall, less .3" for the bullet gives a .7" group! grin
Conditions are shown on the target--62 degree day, bright sun, 0 to 5mph wind, sandbag rests off a bench at clubs range. Federal Premium PowerShok 150 grain factory ammo. 10 year old Simmons 3X9X 32mm scope.
Maybe you guys knew what these guns could do, but I didn't--I knew these were great guns (that's why I bought it) but I'd figured the 60 rounds or so I put through it over the last year at about 1.2 to 1.5" average groups were pretty good for a 56 year old lever gun.
Sorry, but I can't sell it--I'd never be able to live with myself if I sold a gun that shoots .7" groups. Now to shoot some pin shoots with it against some of the fancy bolt guns and make some jaws drop!

Here's a pic of the target. For reference, this is a small bore 100 yard target--the X ring is exactly the size of a quarter (thats 1 in the X and two touching it)

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SteveS
Last wk I posted my EG for sale (mistakenly said it was 1954, but it is actually 1953). Thanks to a few guys who contacted me about it too.
Gave it a good cleaning and a good bore cleaning with JB Mirror Bright and went to sight it in, so anyone who bought it would be happy.

Took me about 10 shots (including a few fouling shots)to get it zeroed, and the last 2 shots were REALLY close. So, thought I'd start with a fresh bull to see what was really going on and to give to the next guy.
Here's a pic of the bull--
YIKES!!--1" overall, less .3" for the bullet gives a .7" group! grin
Conditions are shown on the target--62 degree day, bright sun, 0 to 5mph wind, sandbag rests off a bench at clubs range. Federal Premium PowerShok 150 grain factory ammo. 10 year old Simmons 3X9X 32mm scope.
Maybe you guys knew what these guns could do, but I didn't--I knew these were great guns (that's why I bought it) but I'd figured the 60 rounds or so I put through it over the last year at about 1.2 to 1.5" average groups were pretty good for a 56 year old lever gun.
Sorry, but I can't sell it--I'd never be able to live with myself if I sold a gun that shoots .7" groups. Now to shoot some pin shoots with it against some of the fancy bolt guns and make some jaws drop!

Here's a pic of the target. For reference, this is a small bore 100 yard target--the X ring is exactly the size of a quarter (thats 1 in the X and two touching it)

[Linked Image]

Take the sombeech out and kill a deer with it. Throw bowling balls at the pins, not bullets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

S
SteveS Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Yup--got you covered! Just have pin shoot coming up and got carried away!
Wonder how it would do with 180 gr. for bear up in Maine?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Black bear won't know the difference between 150's or 180's. Smack em in the corn crib and you'll be dragging. Glad you're keeping the gun. It's a nice one.

Funny how some around here think that a PM always means a sale. I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of posting a picture of your stake!!!!!

[Linked Image]

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You just discovered one of the SAVAGE secrets... these ol' lever guns are accurate even by modern standards. smile

And there is no shame in owning an accurate rifle. wink

Last edited by olgrouser; 11/09/09.

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by olgrouser
You just discovered one of the SAVAGE secrets... these ol' lever guns are accurate even by modern standards. smile

And there is no shame in owning an accurate rifle. wink

Especially one with class! grin

S
SteveS Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
LBK--not a problem--your pic had it wearing a Tasco 1.75 X 40mm Brush Gun scope--nice scope but I think too bulky for a sleek handling gun

Here's a few I took just before the target was shot two days ago, wearing the Simmons 3X9X32mm--a little slimmer (I know guys, any scope at all can be a shooting offense to somee and yup, I did crank it up to 9X for the range work)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Looks pretty familiar! I found Federal Premium to group best in my .308 99, and very little difference between 150 or 180 grain. (group size the same, lower point of impact) Winchester ammo was abysmal, in the 3" range. Remington Corelocks nearly as good as the Federals. People really can't believe an old lever rifle can shoot like that!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anybody know what bullet Federal uses in the Power Shok 150s? Is it speer, hornady, other?

God is pursuing you America ---turn around!
S
SteveS Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Just checked a box of Federal--doesn't say anything about the bullet--maybe call or email or check Federal's web site and they would tell you?

Bender--I found the same with my tomato stick--Win. were worst, but Rem. Core Lokt was only halfway between Win. and Federal. All are the same price in my area, so it's be Federal for me until I reload, but with this performance, I don't it's work the bother. Don't think I could beat it even with handloads--I'd rather shoot and hunt than lose hair over .5 grains of the exact best powder and bullet, let alone buy umpteen different types of each

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know it's big game season but one of the good things about reloading is you can use that EG year round with 100gr to 110gr loads for ground hogs or what have you. Reloading gives you options.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got a 1923G takedown .300 that shoots .75" at 50 yards with a peep sight, off sand bags!!! For me anyways, that takes the cake...!!!

Mike...

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I know they use a Nosler Ballistic Tip in the 150, a Speer in the 165, and a Nosler partition in the 180. There may be other bullets available. They all shot really well out of my rifle, and I mean REALLY well - under 3/4" for 3 shots. Always two touching, with the third just a bit away. I think it was me. I just have trouble keeping it together for absolute precision.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
130 TTSX 36 gr of 4198, 2800 fps and kills medium game right now from a Mulie at 80 to a speedgoat at 300. Open fast but penetrates 100%. See article in new Rifleman...most accurate bullet 130 TTSX.
Remember 1 in 11 twist.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Remember 1 in 11 twist.

In reference to what?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Steve S, what kind of rings are on your 99EG. Looks like Weaver bases. I like the vertical split rings.

S
SteveS Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
They are Savage rings, hard to see because of the reflection, but you can just see "Savage" at the top

They say "Savage Westfield Mass. Made in USA" on them
I'll take a better pic for you today
Westfield is a town only a few miles from Chicopee where the gun was made, so that makes sense too--probably where Savage made component parts.

I think the bases are Savage too but there is no name on them, the right side collets or nuts have a lip on them that engages a similar cutout on the bases to ensure alignment each time (hope I'm using the proper words to describe all this)
So the rings appear to be made just for these bases unless all Redfield bases use that system? Not sure but I think the gun may have been factory D&T because of this--supposedly there were about this ser. # time frame?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
unfortunately, your gun is not factory drilled and taped but don't worry... it won't shoot any worse b/c of it smile
Factory drilling and taping for EGs did not become consistent until around serial 750,000 or so... some guns before that are factory drilled and taped... all model Rs built after WWII are drilled and taped same iwth the late model 99Fs.

Savage moved their 99 production Chicopee Falls to Westfield in the 60s, well after your gun was built.

Andrew
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think the bases are Savage too but there is no name on them,

Bases and rings are Lyman. Lyman made them, marked them for Savage and Savage marketed them.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

S
SteveS Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks all--still learning more and more from you guys even with all the research I have done.

So, for sure I know it's a 1953 by the serial # 753XXX and the lever boss code, aftermarket D&T, with Savage/Lyman rings and bases--is that right?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

501 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 1_deuce, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 54 invisible), 2,813 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,314
Posts18,526,343
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.