Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Got back last night from my first BP hunt and thought I'd offer a little review of the gear I used.

THE GOOD
Ballcap with LED lights built into the bill--I thought it was pretty gimicky when I first got it, but it worked great. My headlamp was too bright for bumming around the tent at night and I was worried about burning out my batteries. The lights in the cap were just right though.

Mountain House Meals--WAY better than I expected. We compared the Mountain House and Backpacker's Pantry Beef Stroganoff. MH won by a landslide. The chicken breast and mashed potatoes were also good.

REI Trekking Poles--I used them going in and out. With two stream crossings each way that were a huge help.

Homemade Stove and Go-Lite SH4--When it's in the 20s outside and hot in your tent...that's good stuff. It seems like we didn't keep it burning very long compared to what some people here are getting out of their stoves.

Icebreaker Wool thermals--Kept me warmer than I expected and funk free-er than I thought possible.

THE NOT SO GOOD
MSR Miniworks filter--It's advertised at 1 liter/minute. We pumped for what seemed like forever and then just used tablets.

MR Crew Cab--Nothing didn't work, I just could've used more room. But carrying less would've been a better option... I also wish there was a way to pack everything higher rather than out.

Oatmeal for breakfast--I guess this is really a personal thing, but for me oatmeal just isn't good enough to justify boiling water and dirtying dishes first thing in the morning. I'd rather just grab jerky and go hunt.

I appreciate all the help everyone here has offered. Chime in if any of this sounds familiar to you...

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is your Go-Lite floorless?

A lap dance is sooooo much better when the stripper is crying
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yup. I didn't get the nest.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks pretty good. What where you hunting for?

A lap dance is sooooo much better when the stripper is crying
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hunted Muleys but didn't pull the trigger. Nothing big enough to pack all the way back to the truck...But we had a blast.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What size & brand of stove are you running in your SL4?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm also interested in your stove setup and specially the jack in the tent. Are you using tyvek or painters drop cloth.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Bluedreaux, glad to hear you had a good time. Regarding your water purification: perhaps you're aware of it, but I'd strongly suggest looking at Aquamira drops (chlorine dioxide). Mix drops, wait 5 minutes, put in water, and start hiking, setting up camp, etc...15 minutes later you have purified water in whatever quantity you treated. Virtually no discernible taste, and they only weigh a couple of ounces.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Oatmeal for breakfast--I guess this is really a personal thing, but for me oatmeal just isn't good enough to justify boiling water and dirtying dishes first thing in the morning. I'd rather just grab jerky and go hunt.

No dirty dishes, just boil water and eat right outta the Ti mug. When done eating, wipe clean with a napkin and your good to go. Oatmeal offers alot of bang for the buck energy-wise. Make mine old fashioned with raisins or dried blueberries added - excellent AM fuel!

MtnHtr

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I stick about 3 packets per Zip-loc freezer baggie with a little extra cinnimon and some dehydrated apple slices, then just dump boiling water in. I usually boil about 3 cups for breakfast, 1 for Oatmeal, and 2 for coffee laugh

Interesting your critique of the CrewCab. You have a daypack lid for it? My two gripes about the CC is: 1, no hanger for a Camelback bladder (it has the vent port stitched in though??) And 2, my biggest bitch... Bad angle on the load lifter straps. Once I get over 40 Lbs it starts to feel like its leaning away a little. But then I ain't no expert pack fitter...

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
What size & brand of stove are you running in your SL4?

My neighbor owns a sheet metal shop and helped me build the stove. I based it on one that TXTrapper sent me and what I could see online from TiGoat and Kifaru. It's about 7x7x11. The stovepipe is made from the same material, just rolled. They're both HEAVY, but I'm gonna make some design changes and buy lighter metal to use.

Originally Posted by conrad101st
I'm also interested in your stove setup and specially the jack in the tent. Are you using tyvek or painters drop cloth.

The stove jack was purchased from TiGoat. I sewed it in below the grey GoLite vent. Somebody here had mentioned using Silicone II caulk to secure the jack also. I sewed the edges, then caulked inside the seams too so I could know for sure how it would hold up. So far it's been fine.

I'm using Tyvek under my bag. It worked fine and is super light, but is SLICK. You'll slide all over the place if there's any slope at all to your site. I ended up just setting gear next to me so I could roll in my bag without worrying about sliding around at all.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SnowyMountaineer
Bluedreaux, glad to hear you had a good time. Regarding your water purification: perhaps you're aware of it, but I'd strongly suggest looking at Aquamira drops (chlorine dioxide). Mix drops, wait 5 minutes, put in water, and start hiking, setting up camp, etc...15 minutes later you have purified water in whatever quantity you treated. Virtually no discernible taste, and they only weigh a couple of ounces.

I ended up using Potable Aqua tablets from REI. My problem with them was that when I boiled the water for cooking after I had used the tabs the water got funky...as in little nearly solid floaties that I can only think was part of the tablets...

We mostly used tablets, but the funky water after boiling was definitely a turn off. Has anyone else had this problem?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I steer away from the tablets for that reason too, and they take a lot longer than the aquamira drops (which are liquid, not tabs). Funky water is not cool.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
THE GOOD
Ballcap with LED lights built into the bill--I thought it was pretty gimicky when I first got it, but it worked great. My headlamp was too bright for bumming around the tent at night and I was worried about burning out my batteries. The lights in the cap were just right though....

I got a clip on one for christmas a couple years ago and thought "What would I ever use this for?" I've probably used it more than anything else I got since.

Bo-ton-ton wanasa hehlogeca. (I have no recipe for horn)
In the woods, You return to reason and faith!
Nobody at home listens to me until I fart.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Good report!

I quit the tyvek and went to using our emergency reflective tarps for the bottom, but still end up using my gerber brush hook to dig in a dip for both of us to lay in (wife and I )

On water issues I've been completely happy with the UV pen the last 2 years. I carry Aqua Mira as a backup and use a bandana to prefilter if needed.

BTW just cleaned my desk enough to find the tape I was supposed to mail you some time back.... shoot me a mailing address and I"ll send it this week after the fact, and you can copy and send back to me whenever.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Oh yeah, oatmeal, we do like others, boil water, dump 2 packs in our plastic coffee cup or bowl depending, mix, add extra dry fruit and some honey, and when done grab part of a paper towel and wipe out. Burn the towel when done. No washing for us.

I don't fault the jerky thing though either.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Do you mind posting more pics of your stove? Thanks for the info.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Great thread! Being a newbie myself, it's great to hear from others who are new! Nothing against the guys that have been doin' this stuff for awhile - like reading your reviews as well!

I bought a few of the MH meals to try while deer hunting this year just to "test" them prior to living on 'em for a week. First one I tried was this past weekend - Jamaican Chicken with Rice - not too good, didn't like the seasoning, very filling but I wouldn't eat it again if given a choice.

Good thing I really like instant oatmeal - plan to eat that for breakfast.

Funky water? Was it just appearance or was there bad taste/odor?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Regarding Oatmeal - I just tear the top off and put the water in the Oatmeal pack. Stir it up, fold the top over for a few minutes and you have hot oatmeal. Throw the packet in the fire when you're done. The only thing dirty is your spoon.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
brymoore

Can you name what oatmeal packs? I wondered about that, but ours are HEB generic in paper type packets, I often thought that the pack MIGHT hold up long enough? That would be welcome info, and if I wasn't lazy I'd try it here..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

210 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 21 invisible), 1,664 guests, and 1,055 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,120
Posts18,483,620
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.