Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
I'll second having the sharpener....and sharpen often for quick cuts with little effort. I can imagine with a full elk a good blade can make it through but the edge has to fold over at some point, and then you have to bring the edge back.

I just hope someday I get to skin and quarter my own elk.

Along with with what the others mentioned...
You may want a small block and tackle or come-along if your in a steep hill situation and you can't move the elk. This is nice and it takes little effort and you'll be tired anyway.

Rope is good - I like a cotton or natural rope so it doesn't slip like the nylon stuff, and it rots away if left in the woods, natural ropes can also make a good fire starter if you get into a bad situation.

Metal fence wire is an amazing thing, almost like duct tape, we always find uses for it around camp and other needs.

"Paper is poverty,... it is only the ghost of money, and not money itself." --Thomas Jefferson to Edward Carrington, 1788. ME 7:36
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
My sharpner is called spare blades. 12 of them weigh much less than any sharpener I could carry.... and much easier to use....

Folks can be stubborn or learn to see the light....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Painters drop cloth was mentioned but I'll 2nd it.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
1 knife.

Bone them out. Much lighter to carry and no need to saw anything.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There's plenty to carry if the regs say bulls only, you have to take the antlers, and you have to pack out the whole head because you only have a knife.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495
My sharpner is called spare blades. 12 of them weigh much less than any sharpener I could carry.... and much easier to use....

This is the sharpener that I carry. It touches up the blade real nice and only weighs a couple of ounces - much lighter than even one extra blade.

Lansky Quick Fix

RH

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I use a Wyoming knife, a regular clip point fixed blade and a gerber pax. Makes my life pretty easy.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Oh yeah. Forgot the gloves. I like these by Rubbermaid. They come in XL for us guys. $2 at grocery stores.
[Linked Image]

Or, if you prefer..........
[Linked Image]

That bottom set belong to tom264 or northern dave? grin

hey damn it!! I read this stuff you know!!

grin

as far as the OP...

I just use my bear hands.

Something clever here.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
a knife is all you need but a saw is nice to have.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just carry my old puma duke, a small hatchet, some rope. Good game bags and a tarp. The last elk I shot, I had dressed out quartered and then boned out and bagged in all of about 3 hours. I took my time to do it right and to keep things clean. Oh a head lamp is a must. By the time I was ready to come down of the hill is was well into dark. four trips for the meat and hide. Its not hard, the hard part is taking the time to do it right and keeping things clean. I started carrying a small tarp just to keep things out of the dirt while skinning and boneing meat. I should have thought of it sooner in my hunting life. Live and learn.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Originally Posted by elkhunter76

[Linked Image]

That bottom set belong to tom264 or northern dave? grin

hey damn it!! I read this stuff you know!!

grin

Hey Dave...what's the pink stuff in the bottle?????? grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Knife, 3-4 peices of parachute cord 10-15 ft each, folding saw, and one of those hand held quick sharpening gizmos for a quick edge on my knife if it gets too dull.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A knife and a sharpening steel works for me.

β€œPerfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
After removing two elk from very STEEP conditions, some type of cord will be in my bag from now on!!! A buddy had some and that saved us from all sliding down the slope!
So my pack will at least have:
2 knives
1 small sharpener
Rope/cord
Small tarp
2 lights

Coming off a steep mountain in the dark is no fun.......you will find every deadfall on the mountain!!

Good Luck!!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Sig220
After removing two elk from very STEEP conditions, some type of cord will be in my bag from now on!!! A buddy had some and that saved us from all sliding down the slope!
So my pack will at least have:
2 knives
1 small sharpener
Rope/cord
Small tarp
2 lights

Coming off a steep mountain in the dark is no fun.......you will find every deadfall on the mountain!!

Good Luck!!

Cord is useful for tying off the legs as you gut and skin. Cord is VERY useful for keeping the elk from sliding the rest of the way down the mountain while gutting and skinning........ cry

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Whoa!--Those would go well with SU's purple bike....... laugh

Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Or, if you prefer..........
[Linked Image]

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
A big +1 on the para cord...

Had to use my bootlaces once..

and don't ask how I did it, but I accidentally cut one of them.... blush

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by himmelrr
Originally Posted by rost495

This is the sharpener that I carry. It touches up the blade real nice and only weighs a couple of ounces - much lighter than even one extra blade.

Lansky Quick Fix

RH

Good link to what looks like a light sharpener. Got me there. Of course I"m still sold on popping on a razor sharp ready to go blade on instantly. So you got me curiuos and I looked in my work drawer and have 7 blades in packages ready to go, went and weighed them.... 0.8 oz for 7 ready to go blades....Still sold on my option.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I carry a fixed blade knife, a good Uncle Henry folder, a sharpener, and several pieces of bailing twine. Pretty much what everyone else carries. A headlamp is also nice. I also carry a Wyoming Saw but out of habit. Since I switched to gut-less, I have not needed it. I mainly carry it in case the elk falls in a place I can just dally up and drag it out in one piece, (like a logging road) I'll saw legs off at the knee and otherwise do things like I use to. I have not been lucky enough to kill one in a spot like that yet though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Knife
Small sharpener
Gloves
Para-cord
Small LED flashlight (not as bright but they last a lot longer)
Small folding saw (optional)

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

425 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 163bc, 37 invisible), 2,094 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,132
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.