Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Originally Posted by CLB
Weatherby Ultra Lightweight.

I have heard some mixed messages regards accuracy on these, anyone else have a thought regards the UltraLW Weatherby?

I have a 270 Win. that shoots Hornday 140 grain sst at about 3/4" They do get hot quick, but if you shoot a group and let it cool down, it is a tack driver!

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've tried several lightweights. My first was a Remington ADL that I put in a Garrett Acculite stock probably 25 years ago. Still have the rifle and it weighs 7.5 lbs with Talley lightweights and 2.5-8x Leupold.

Tried the Model 7's, Colt Light Rifle, and did not really care for them. The Tikka I had was not bad and a good choice if you like them.

Finally tried the Kimber 308 and am quite pleased. Mine comes in at 6 lbs in a Leupold 2.5-8x and Talley lightweights. Mine shoots pretty well. This would still be my 1st choice in a lightweight.

A few months ago I got a good deal on one of the stainless Remington ADL mountain rifles in 30-06. I put a Bell and Carlson Alaska Wilderness stock on it and it comes in at 7 lbs scoped. My 2nd choice, especially if you feel 6 lbs scoped is just too light. Unless you just happen to already have a Remington mountain rifle and only have to buy the stock the Kimber will be less expensive, and lighter. Accuracy is the same for me.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by cal74
That's what I was told, don't think I'm wrong but someone please correct me if I am. After reading so many possitive comments about them on here I made up my mind that I had to have one and I'm glad I did.

I found my 7mm-08 from another member here I think back in July. At that time I called all around and there were eight .243's still in stock throughout the nation and five .308's at various Ganders. I'm not sure about the blued guns that were made for Cabelas?

That's the story I have heard as well... We have one in .308 and one in .243. Can't say anything bad about them... Light, decent stock, good crown. Just a minor trigger job and they are good to go...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
WINCHESTER MODEL 70 XTR FEATHERWEIGHT!
my son uses one and they are deadly acurate
and not that expensive
you cant go wrong

Ill Keep My Money, Freedom, and Guns!
YOU KEEP THE "CHANGE"!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Tried a good number of rifles searching for the under 6 lb rifle.

Tikka T3 light, shoots the best out of the box with factory ammo in .308 and .270 from my experience.

Always go with my Tikka T3 .308 these days.

IC B2

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by JTD0314
Originally Posted by CLB

I have heard some mixed messages regards accuracy on these, anyone else have a thought regards the UltraLW Weatherby?

I have a 270 Win. that shoots Hornday 140 grain sst at about 3/4" They do get hot quick, but if you shoot a group and let it cool down, it is a tack driver!

To be honest, we have had very good success with these rifles.
The only complaint I have had is I think the triggers suck even though they are adjustable I find them "creepy".

We are currently running them in 338-06, 280 Rem and both are "shooters". They subject you to more recoil which I feel is the REAL problem when people say they don't shoot well....IMHO

CLB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dave,

If cost is an object at all, (and in my opinion even if it is not), you just can't touch a Montana for a light rifle. The NULA's are great if cost is no object, but for a rifle that can be had in the $1000 range, there is no comparison. On the new ones, you are very likely to get one that shoots and functions great out of the box, and if you get a basket case, you can fix it for a couple hundred or move it and lose a couple hundred and try another one.

I've bought 3 used at bargains off the 'Fire and they have all been great from the get go.

If you want light, you just can't touch Kimber for the $$$$, IMHO. Can't buy it, can't build it for anywhere near the price and get close to as light. Tikkas have their niche, and you know I have some and like them, but the Kimbers are in another league, and I have within a couple hundred of the same money in most of my Kimbers that I have in my Tikkas.

Quit worrying and snag a Montana...you are very unlikely to regret it, and quite likely to experience light rifle euphoria...grin.

It's worth a slight gamble, and nothing is going to be a sure thing.

DJ

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Like Brad said, M700 Mtn Guide......

I just wish they would make them in L/A standard cartridges too.....

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JMR40
A few months ago I got a good deal on one of the stainless Remington ADL mountain rifles in 30-06. I put a Bell and Carlson Alaska Wilderness stock on it and it comes in at 7 lbs scoped. My 2nd choice, especially if you feel 6 lbs scoped is just too light. Unless you just happen to already have a Remington mountain rifle and only have to buy the stock the Kimber will be less expensive, and lighter. Accuracy is the same for me.

Dang I wish I could find more of those ADL SS Mtn rifles at a reasonable cost--after tuning, the two I have are among the most accurate of all my factory rifles........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have 3 of the Mountain Guides and they are nice but no longer made. Of course as said, there are a few of them still left...

I only have 1 Kimber 22 rifle and it has been very nice, nice enough that my next rifle will be the Montana. Nothing can touch it for the price from what I've seen.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You boys are right. The Mountain Guides are really good rifles. I've got a couple I really like, and I would put them in the discussion with the Kimbers - should have done that in my other post. I still put the Kimbers ahead based on liking the stock a lot better and the safety and trigger quite a bit better, but the Mountain Guides are right there and a bit cheaper; some might put them ahead of Kimbers in the SA's because of better throat/magazine geometry. The short magazine and long throat of the Kimber 84M's are about my only criticism, but mine shoot very well despite it.

DJ

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
To expect/demand MOA or better with factory ammo in a 5-6 lb. rifle is really asking too much. You might find a load or two that will, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Really light rifles, by nature, seldom shoot many loads well.
I suspect that most of the so called problems with the Kimbers are simply the result of the new owner not working with his rifle enough to find the right loads.
But, to answer your question, the NULA's. E

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
sometimes I get the terrible urge to sell all of mine and buy 3 NULA's (22, 30 and 37) and be done with it.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by CLB
Originally Posted by JTD0314
Originally Posted by CLB

To be honest, we have had very good success with these rifles.
The only complaint I have had is I think the triggers suck even though they are adjustable I find them "creepy".

We are currently running them in 338-06, 280 Rem and both are "shooters". They subject you to more recoil which I feel is the REAL problem when people say they don't shoot well....IMHO

CLB

I would love to add a 338-06 to my fleet!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Eremicus
To expect/demand MOA or better with factory ammo in a 5-6 lb. rifle is really asking too much. You might find a load or two that will, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Really light rifles, by nature, seldom shoot many loads well.
I suspect that most of the so called problems with the Kimbers are simply the result of the new owner not working with his rifle enough to find the right loads.
But, to answer your question, the NULA's. E

My Mt Guides in both .308 & .243 shoot 1-2" groups, when I do my part, on a pretty regular basis. Just have to keep an eye on the barrell heat... 150-165grn Nosler AB or Partition handloads for the .308 and plain old 100gr Rem PSP Core-Lokt on the .243... I can get better accuracy with the .308 and handloads, just have not loaded for the .243 yet... SUB MOA is not what I expect, but I think I can get there (or at least close) with the right load.

Last edited by hekin237; 11/12/09. Reason: typo
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
K22 - I've been in camp for 2 wks., so I couldn't get back to you. I think I bought the kevlar stocked model 7 back in '92. It was $700 or so back then. I believe the Brown Prec. Kevlar Pound'r went for about $318, back then. It's as good of a composite stock that I have ever seen, and much better than most.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by CLB

I've posted regarding mine and my friends a few times on here. I have them in 338-06 and 280 Rem. Both shoot sub moa groups in fact I worked up a load for the 280 with a 140 Nos AB that is shooting about 1/2" at 100 yds, 3 shots. Friend bought on in 270 and another in a 300 win mag, both sub moa.

You do need to get used to shootin' such a light rifle and remember to pull the gun into your shoulder. Also, the thin barrel heats up quick.

My 280 with burris rings and mounts and a Leupy 3x9x40 weighs in at 6lb 14 oz. The 338-06 w/leupy mount and rings and a leupy 3x9 compact weighs in at 6 lb 15 oz. Best balanced rifles I ever carried. Also have a Weatherby Mark V SS Carbine in 7mm-08, B&C Medalist stock, Talley lightweights, and 3x9x40 leupy is 6 lb 13 oz. I actually bought the 280 and 7mm-08 off of members on the 'fire.

I haven't paid retail on a Weatherby yet though I bought 3 brand new but even at retail feel the ULW is worth the money

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Taconic11
K22 - I've been in camp for 2 wks., so I couldn't get back to you. I think I bought the kevlar stocked model 7 back in '92. It was $700 or so back then. I believe the Brown Prec. Kevlar Pound'r went for about $318, back then. It's as good of a composite stock that I have ever seen, and much better than most.

Thanks Taconic11. I'll have to look into both of those stocks.My Model 7 in 17 Rem. with a Rem. synthetic stock, Millet 1 pc base, Leu. Rings, and a Nikon 2.5X8 scopes weighs 8lbs. 1oz on a postal scales. Entirely to much.
I'd like to get down into the 6lb. range and it looks to me that the Kimber Montana might be the cheapest route.
Hope you had a great time in camp.

K22

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'll have too get a scale and weigh My model 7, But I think that it came in around 6lbs. 4oz. with the Leup. compact scope,Conetrol rings & bases and the Decelerator pad. The Brown Prec. Kevlar Pound'r is the stock that is on it. It weighs approx. 15oz.. You'll pay a lot of $ to get a few oz.'s. If I didn't own this, I would probably be going to a Kimber Montana.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
This one works pretty well.
[Linked Image]

700 ti in .270 with a Bushnell 4200 3x9.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

130 members (2500HD, 300_savage, 1973cb450, 338reddog, 204guy, 20 invisible), 1,745 guests, and 1,065 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,051
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.